This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

Unless the goal is tor try and have an anomaly of a bad season next year with the hopes of landing McDavid or Eichel, the idea of the Sharks rebuilding is absolute lunacy. They had 111 points last year, and that's with having a future superstar in Hertl that was already having a good season as a 20 year old before he got hurt. They lost in seven games and should have beaten the Kings.

The mob is fickle brother.

Don't forget Couture too, a star and he's mad young. I can't believe the SJs GM is saying this. Even if you're trying to raise offers for a Thornton or Marleau, that still means you're trying to deal them.. and like you said, they had 111 points..

next year's 1st is the prize - i don't want to give it up either but ryan o'reilly is pretty good. of course i would give any other prospect they want before the 1st but i don't think that gets it done. hell, i don't think my proposed deal necessarily gets it done. besides, my hope of sal getting the buyout over anton is probably a pipe dream anyway

It can get done without a first if they know he will leave as soon as can, which is a pretty good bet, or at least it depends on how good they believe Larsson is. My guess is that opinions among GMs differ significantly. A skilled negotiator should be able to feel out whether Colorado still believes he can be a borderline first line defenseman.

Another advantage is that the Devils are outside of the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying that I would want to trade for him, but I was a little bummed to hear we might be on Spezza's no trade list.  It sounds more like it's a guess from a different agent.  Still, I wonder what the perception of this team is to people who have no affiliation with us.

http://nhl.si.com/2014/06/18/jason-spezza-no-trade-teams-list/

To our benefit, SI actually got our back:

"The Sabres make sense. It’s unlikely that the 31-year-old Spezza has any interest in being part of a long-term rebuild. But New Jersey? A first-line center who could spice up the Devils’ power play might be all that separates them from returning to the playoffs next season."

thinking about colorado. they're taking o'reilly to arbitration because they don't want to pay him. they are trying to resign statsny. and they're shopping parenteau who they appear to see as a poison pill contract.

how about trading larsson, ryder and the 2015 1st for parenteau and o'reilly. while ryder isn't great shakes, he's got one year left @ $3.5 to parenteau's $4MM and parenteau is not a bad player. Colorado is just in a position where they've got to pay a lot of their stars money.

so make that trade, buy out Sal, resign Fayne and Gionta:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.500m) 

Adam Henrique ($4.000m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m) / Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) 

P-A Parenteau ($4.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.800m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m) 

Tuomo Ruutu ($3.800m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.750m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m) 

Mike Sislo ($0.625m) / 

DEFENSEMEN

Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($3.000m) 

Eric Gelinas ($0.950m) / Marek Zidlicky ($3.000m) 

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Jon Merrill ($0.840m) 

Peter Harrold ($0.800m) / 

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m) 

Thomas Greiss ($1.000m) 

BUYOUTS

Johan Hedberg ($0.000m) 

Bryce Salvador ($0.000m) 

Trent Hunter ($0.667m) 

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,431,667; BONUSES: $3,060,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,668,333

It's fun to do these things and taking out if Colorado would have any interest in a deal like this or not...do you think Lou is ready to deal Larsson, the player that Lou, Conte and the rest of the scouting staff were best described as "giddy" when he fell to them at #4. Someone they were apparently going to take #1 overall. Has that much changed in 3 years for them to give up on him? I guess a lot has changed organizationally but...

As for Salvador, I know he's a guy people wish gets bought out and would make a fine choice, but again, from what we know about Lou and his thoughts on Salvador and the leadership...my goodness the leadership...he's got the C, do you even think the thought has crossed his mind? Forget if Lou would entertain buying out Salvador. Does anyone think Lou sees Salvador as player that was struggling?

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm not saying that I would want to trade for him, but I was a little bummed to hear we might be on Spezza's no trade list.  It sounds more like it's a guess from a different agent.  Still, I wonder what the perception of this team is to people who have no affiliation with us.

http://nhl.si.com/2014/06/18/jason-spezza-no-trade-teams-list/

no we're not on that list, but I did hear his first choice is St Louis and Ottawa's GM doesnt want him in the East fwiw

heres a link Daniel posted in another thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jason-spezza-s-no-trade-list-includes-canada--predators--isles--report-182638839.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

from TSN:

Singing The Blues?

As per Andy Strickland of St. Louis's Big 550 KTRS, the Blues areJason Spezza's top choice as a possible trade destination.  Strickland adds that Spezza believes he's headed to either the Blues or the Anaheim Ducks 

Edited by The 29th Pick

It's fun to do these things and taking out if Colorado would have any interest in a deal like this or not...do you think Lou is ready to deal Larsson, the player that Lou, Conte and the rest of the scouting staff were best described as "giddy" when he fell to them at #4. Someone they were apparently going to take #1 overall. Has that much changed in 3 years for them to give up on him? I guess a lot has changed, but...

As for Salvador, I know he;s a guy people wish gets bought out and would make a fine choice, but again, from what we know about Lou and his thoughts on Salvador and the leadership...my goodness the leadership...he's got the C, do you even think the thought has crossed his mind? Forget if Lou would entertain buying out Salvador. Does anyone think Lou sees Salvador as player that was struggling?

Trading him for someone like Ryan O'Reilly is not giving up on Larsson. Otherwise, it's really hard to get a read on what the brain trust thinks of him right now. Obviously there was something about his game they didn't like since they sent him to Albany for most of last year.

So far as Sal, it's not so much that we expect/hope that Lou realizes that he's a bad player. He's a below average defenseman, but one that wouldn't have much of a problem finding another team to play for, just not for the long term. If the Devils didn't have better options, the defense would still work pretty much fine with him. What I'm hoping is that Lou is honest when he says has to do something about the logjam on defense, and that he realizes that the most logical choice, absent a very favorable trade, is to cut bait on Salvador. I'm more inclined to believe this is not the case, but with Lou you don't know until you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volchenkov will be the first buyout.  Let's please not be entertaining any other ideas, it's just absurd to think that Volchenkov, who makes more money and plays less often, would be the guy the Devils keep.

As for Larsson, a lot has changed - his skating hasn't improved.  If his skating doesn't improve, he'll just be a back-pairing D, maybe a little better if he gets his timing down wrt defending.  But he also takes a pounding physically because of his immobility and his tendency to hold the puck as long as possible to make the right play (something he's exceptional at).  I think it could come together, but man, if there doesn't start to be some improvement next year, I just have to believe it's never coming.

Volchenkov will be the first buyout.  Let's please not be entertaining any other ideas, it's just absurd to think that Volchenkov, who makes more money and plays less often, would be the guy the Devils keep.

of course this makes the most sense - but you know my personal feelings will not let me even write it.

Volchenkov will be the first buyout. Let's please not be entertaining any other ideas, it's just absurd to think that Volchenkov, who makes more money and plays less often, would be the guy the Devils keep.

As for Larsson, a lot has changed - his skating hasn't improved. If his skating doesn't improve, he'll just be a back-pairing D, maybe a little better if he gets his timing down wrt defending. But he also takes a pounding physically because of his immobility and his tendency to hold the puck as long as possible to make the right play (something he's exceptional at). I think it could come together, but man, if there doesn't start to be some improvement next year, I just have to believe it's never coming.

If only Lou had taken Sean Couturier like I was hoping he would...but knew in the recesses of my mind he would not.

If the Devils buy out Volch, I'd think there would be concern from Lou for when Salvador inevitably gets hurt. The idea of Greene, Fayne, Zid, Merrill, Larson and Gelinas playing as a 6-man unit is a dream for many, but this is where I expect Lou to want some snot.

So does Lou sign another physical crap defenseman? Then there is Harrold still signed...it's just so confusing.

Edited by devilsrule33

If only Lou had taken Sean Couturier like I was hoping he would...but knew in the recesses of my mind he would not.

Supposedly, Zibanejad was the guy they would have taken absent Larsson, regardless of Couturier.

Supposedly, Zibanejad was the guy they would have taken absent Larsson, regardless of Couturier.

Let's just hope Larsson plays in the NHL for this team. It would be really disappointing if he turned out to be a bust, considering where he was drafted and who was still available.

Let's just hope Larsson plays in the NHL for this team. It would be really disappointing if he turned out to be a bust, considering where he was drafted and who was still available.

He is not going to be a bust unless he gets hurt.  He is definitely an NHL quality player right now.  It's just a question of how much better he gets.  He turns 22 in November.

As for Larsson, a lot has changed - his skating hasn't improved.  If his skating doesn't improve, he'll just be a back-pairing D, maybe a little better if he gets his timing down wrt defending.  But he also takes a pounding physically because of his immobility and his tendency to hold the puck as long as possible to make the right play (something he's exceptional at).  I think it could come together, but man, if there doesn't start to be some improvement next year, I just have to believe it's never coming.

I think we're in for a surprise from Larsson this season.  I think he has improved, I think he's has picked up his game offensively and has added an aggressive hitting element to his game.  I can only think that part of that is Stevens and maybe some credit to the Albany coaching.  At least, ideally. 

Edited by RizzMB30

I think he's has picked up his game offensively and has added an aggressive hitting element to his game.  I can only think that part of that is Stevens and maybe some credit to the Albany coaching.  At least, ideally. 

Remember what happened when they spoke of Stevens working with Gelinas to become more physical? He got worse in the d-zone and lost his spot in the line-up. I have serious doubt about what Stevens brings as a coach to the defense.

Stastny needs to be priority number one, and am starting to think our trade/UFA target should be Bobby Ryan for the year after. It seems no one wants to stay in Ottawa, why would he?

im pretty sure ryan said he didnt want to play here.

Stastny needs to be priority number one, and am starting to think our trade/UFA target should be Bobby Ryan for the year after. It seems no one wants to stay in Ottawa, why would he?

What is the highest offer the Devils should give to Stastny, assuming that it's even in the cards, and that actual dollars aren't an issue?  I guess I would reluctantly go as a high as $7.5 AAV for seven years.   

Yes, no one wants to play here. We're a miserable franchise with no hope and owners who have no money now. The sky is falling. Might as well pack it up. :rolleyes: Ya know, I'm really sick of the unending negativity. If you wanna root for a sh!tty franchise, trying being a fvcking Dolphins fan. Better yet, go talk to some of the Mets fans on here. I swear, some of the fans on this board have NO CLUE what its like to go through a down time with a franchise. This is nothing. Most fans should be so blessed after all the success we've had.

Edited by MadDog2020

Yes, no one wants to play here. We're a miserable franchise with no hope and owners who have no money now. The sky is falling. Might as well pack it up. :rolleyes:

Not saying that. There was a poll of players conducted several years ago. Devils were in the bottom 10 of least desirable teams.

Not saying that. There was a poll of players conducted several years ago. Devils were in the bottom 10 of least desirable teams.

Source?

Devils have never had trouble luring UFAs if the price is was right.

And it's not like players are hesitant to return.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk