This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

why would it be good news? hes a great player.  i don't understand this.  a third of the NHL can be connected to Kane, how are we not even mentioned in this scenario?  3 of them our long-time rivals too..

With the exception of Ottawa, Edmonton and Buffalo, those 7 other teams are always rumored to be in the hunt for big names.

I think Yost is making a pretty specious argument there.  I don't think Callahan is that good, but one of the things about him is that he plays way more than those guys, and he scores more goals than those guys.  To what extent playing more helps or hurts one's value I'm not sure, but in goals/60 ... eesh he doesn't come out looking too much better in goals/60 either.  Well whatever, he might drive play a little bit and he's a gritty mcgrit so - just thankfully NJ doesn't get him.

I think Yost is making a pretty specious argument there.  I don't think Callahan is that good, but one of the things about him is that he plays way more than those guys, and he scores more goals than those guys.  To what extent playing more helps or hurts one's value I'm not sure, but in goals/60 ... eesh he doesn't come out looking too much better in goals/60 either.  Well whatever, he might drive play a little bit and he's a gritty mcgrit so - just thankfully NJ doesn't get him.

Well you can break it down anyway you want. He plays a lot and has never put up big numbers. The Rangers weren't any less gritty without him in the playoffs. He's exactly the kind of the player that the Devils don't need, but Lou thinks we do (that's based off a few things including Lou saying that Ruutu brings some attributes that the Devils needed).

The UFAs we should be focused on are Gaborik, J. Jokinen, Michalek, Raymond, Stastny and Roy. Get 2 of those guys and you're gold, Pony Boy.

Gaborik - He's going to want to stay in LA

Jokinen - I can see him coming here and re-kindling some Caniac magic with Ruutu

Mickalek - I'd love to see this guy here, understands and plays both sides of the ice, won't light it up like elite goal-scorers, but would fit in well here with the other Czechs and could be a great 2nd line RW behind Jagr.

Raymond - Ehhh, No thanks

Stasny - Pipe dream, it's wishful thinking but when does Lou ever go out and acquire the biggest free agent on the market.

Roy - Great player, would be nice to see him here, but he could go anywhere.

Now that it's June 25th and teams are allowed to talk to UFAs, do any meetings get leaked? For example, would a McKenzie or Lavoie report that Lou is talking to the agent of Stastny or Vrbata?

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Paul Stastny camp already getting a ton of phone calls from other teams... Will keep Avs in the mix of course... going to be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Paul Stastny camp already getting a ton of phone calls from other teams... Will keep Avs in the mix of course... going to be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, yeah, it is pretty obvious he is getting swarmed as he's easily the best UFA out there.  Do they mention specific teams before July 1st?

Well, yeah, it is pretty obvious he is getting swarmed as he's easily the best UFA out there.  Do they mention specific teams before July 1st?

Doubt it, I'm sure it's just a soundbyte from the agent to LeBrun. He can generalize and say he's getting "a ton of phone calls" and drive the price or urgency up in some GMs. Not really in anyone's interest to say who.

Edited by DJ Eco

Roy scare me as a possibility because the Devils supposedly have looked at him a few times the last couple yrs and I believe he played for Deboer in juniors. Lou might see Roy as a good option to improve at center. I'm not a huge fan though. Roy looks like he's in an Olli Jokinen like journeyman phase.

awesome.. things heating up now that calls can be made.. of course, im sure it'll be a lot of hype for nothing for a devils fan.  but its still exciting.

Derek Roy is tough, sure, but he's 31 and scored just 9 goals this year (37 points).  he'll probably make around the same amount as he did this last year (4 million), so he'll be a good addition, but wouldn't be my top choice

awesome.. things heating up now that calls can be made.. of course, im sure it'll be a lot of hype for nothing for a devils fan. but its still exciting.

Derek Roy is tough, sure, but he's 31 and scored just 9 goals this year (37 points). he'll probably make around the same amount as he did this last year (4 million), so he'll be a good addition, but wouldn't be my top choice

He and Ryder might be a tandem that is productive but I wouldn't go more than 1 year so I could clean house next offseason.

This team is just awfully balanced right now... logjam on the D which could be great but its really hurting the development and confidence of some guys and some are getting real frustrated. We might not be able to keep Fayne which i think can be real solid and young, just cause Lou wants to hold on to some old over the hill vets.

Then our forward depth is not great we're lacking true first line guys, our best players are all real old and near the end and the rest is mostly filled with decent but average guys, we have too many of those guys, its hard to even plug them on the lineup cause they could be anywhere. We dont have much promising youngsters too other than Boucher really... 

Not sure what Lou could do with those assets, we could sign someone but we'd have to make room and get rid of a few guys IMO.

has to figure out what he really wants to keep for the future and where to fill hole and try to flip assets cause the "patching" approach has been terrible so far.

This team is just awfully balanced right now... logjam on the D which could be great but its really hurting the development and confidence of some guys and some are getting real frustrated. We might not be able to keep Fayne which i think can be real solid and young, just cause Lou wants to hold on to some old over the hill vets.

Then our forward depth is not great we're lacking true first line guys, our best players are all real old and near the end and the rest is mostly filled with decent but average guys, we have too many of those guys, its hard to even plug them on the lineup cause they could be anywhere. We dont have much promising youngsters too other than Boucher really... 

Not sure what Lou could do with those assets, we could sign someone but we'd have to make room and get rid of a few guys IMO.

has to figure out what he really wants to keep for the future and where to fill hole and try to flip assets cause the "patching" approach has been terrible so far.

yes, all true.  the situation we're in is really awkward.  we have a huge divide in age. a lot of youth and a lot of "2 more years" guys.  i feel like the team should either be in a "win now" mode (while we still have our star vets) or in a complete rebuild.

either way, that logjam on D does not help either strategy. i wouldn't know which to take if Im Lou

He and Ryder might be a tandem that is productive but I wouldn't go more than 1 year so I could clean house next offseason.

Wouldn't mind this at all. Plan looks like to compete with a very similar team in 2014-15 and then re-shape things in 15-16 with all the cap space we should have. I expect nothing more than a few small signings and maybe a diamond in the rough college/international FA signing although I admit knowing little about who is out there. That being said, Lou will probably make some huge trade (it's quiet...too quiet)

Derek Roy is the type of option I like but for the third line. We badly need centers. I just don't think we can be successful with Elias, Zubrus or Henrique at center either on line 2 or 3. 

And enough with this "Lou never goes out and gets the big guy" We got Kovalchuk. We got Schneider too. We got Mogilny. We got Arnott. Lou finds quality guys and brings them in if he feels the fit is right and it's what the team needs.

Personally, I think we're weakest down the middle. I look at Boston, LA and think how could we be in the same league?