This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

I'm looking at Nashville's depth chart right now. http://www.capgeek.com/predators/depth-chart/

They're comically shallow at RW. 

Trading Ryder to Nashville, to play under Laviolette makes too much sense to not happen, no? 

Probably the easiest way to start unloading the 2nd/3rd line RW logjam.

Forget about moving Ryder. This was a down year for him but it wasn't a total bottoming out like folks are claiming. Ryder still put up 18 goals despite having a long drought. He still managed to do okay with his job responsibility which is scoring goals. However of utmost significance is that Ryder is one of our few right handed shots.

Edited by CarpathianForest

I'm looking at Nashville's depth chart right now. http://www.capgeek.com/predators/depth-chart/

They're comically shallow at RW. 

Trading Ryder to Nashville, to play under Laviolette makes too much sense to not happen, no? 

Probably the easiest way to start unloading the 2nd/3rd line RW logjam.

Might just be me but Ryder doesn't strike me as a Laviolette-type player. Brunner seems to fit that mold better.

Preds signed Ribeiro. David Poile has done exactly what needed to be done. That market can finally enjoy a semi-decent offense for once.

Edit: Derek Roy has also been added to their roster.

Edited by devlman

Preds signed Ribeiro. David Poile has done exactly what needed to be done. That market can finally enjoy a semi-decent offense for once.

Edit: Derek Roy has also been added to their roster.

feel bad for trotz, he leaves just when they finally start bringing in some offense and have some nice forward prospects ready to make the jump.

feel bad for trotz, he leaves just when they finally start bringing in some offense and have some nice forward prospects ready to make the jump.

lol true...I also just saw they wont have Fisher for 4-6 months after he ruptured his achilles.

Nashville is looking very strong.  They are in great shape with their offseason changes.  Add Neal, Ribero, and Roy.  They're going to be an interesting team to watch, along with Tampa

Seriously? They gave up two solid players to get Neal, who will be Malkin-less now. Mike Fisher might miss a ton of time. Who knows what you can expect from Ribeiro. Derek Roy is pretty nice low cost addition, but that was a player they needed with the uncertainty of Fisher. He's not going to be able to replace him.

I'd have paid him double that to be our 3C. We just have too many forwards to be signing more though.

I'd be fine with something similar to that.  With Gionta signed and Josefson still in the mix, it wasn't going to happen. I've made my opinion known about Gionta and would have loved for the Devils to have signed Roy, and let Josefson have the Gionta role. My ideal 4th line has Zubrus-Josefson-Sislo. That's a really nice NHL 4th line in my opinion. Instead, you might get none of those players.

I'd be fine with something similar to that. With Gionta signed and Josefson still in the mix, it wasn't going to happen. I've made my opinion known about Gionta and would have loved for the Devils to have signed Roy, and let Josefson have the Gionta role. My ideal 4th line has Zubrus-Josefson-Sislo. That's a really nice NHL 4th line in my opinion. Instead, you might get none of those players.

Agreed. There's gotta be a trade coming to free up space, but we had been saying that about the defense for a few years until Volch got bought out so we'll see what happens. We all know LL doesn't make deals just to make a deal, there's gotta be value in it for us.

Seriously? They gave up two solid players to get Neal, who will be Malkin-less now. Mike Fisher might miss a ton of time. Who knows what you can expect from Ribeiro. Derek Roy is pretty nice low cost addition, but that was a player they needed with the uncertainty of Fisher. He's not going to be able to replace him.

Neal is still a really good player without Malkin.  Spaling is not 'solid'.  I mean I don't think Nashville makes the playoffs, but I think they've made a lot of good low-risk moves this off-season.

Neal is a 30-40 goal scorer, mix in some youth with Roy and Ribeiro, they'll surprise.  If Ribeiro has really figured out his off-ice issues, you can expect good scoring from him.  Ribeiro and Neal played together in Dallas when Neal was breaking into the league.  Ribeiro is a long way off from reaching that level again that he played at while in Dallas, but he never put up less than 52 points while in Dallas.  I think the two of them can really help each other.  Throw in Roy to play the 2nd line or play wing to Colin Wilson.  Throw in Jokinen(no thanks) and a bunch of the youngsters, this isn't a bad team.  If Rinne stays healthy and the defense takes another step in their development, Nashville will be fine. 

Don't be so fast to write off a team that is run by a very competent GM. 

Neal is a 30-40 goal scorer, mix in some youth with Roy and Ribeiro, they'll surprise.  If Ribeiro has really figured out his off-ice issues, you can expect good scoring from him.  Ribeiro and Neal played together in Dallas when Neal was breaking into the league.  Ribeiro is a long way off from reaching that level again that he played at while in Dallas, but he never put up less than 52 points while in Dallas.  I think the two of them can really help each other.  Throw in Roy to play the 2nd line or play wing to Colin Wilson.  Throw in Jokinen(no thanks) and a bunch of the youngsters, this isn't a bad team.  If Rinne stays healthy and the defense takes another step in their development, Nashville will be fine. 

Don't be so fast to write off a team that is run by a very competent GM. 

There were some nice moves. I just don't think enough was done for them to take the next step in the West. There are very few 40-goal scorers in the NHL. Don't expect Neal to ever reach 40 again. You never know, but not sure they got that much better. 

Tri, I definitely categorized two different guys together which was silly. 

Agreed. There's gotta be a trade coming to free up space, but we had been saying that about the defense for a few years until Volch got bought out so we'll see what happens. We all know LL doesn't make deals just to make a deal, there's gotta be value in it for us.

well the argument there is Tallinder.  that move was clearly to make room, and you can't say we got any value in return. i believe that is an example where he made a deal just to make a deal

There were some nice moves. I just don't think enough was done for them to take the next step in the West. There are very few 40-goal scorers in the NHL. Don't expect Neal to ever reach 40 again. You never know, but not sure they got that much better. 

The preds made some nice moves but they're problem is the brutal division. It's gonna be tough competing with those teams.

Fair enough, I did say that they were looking very strong.  I can amend that and say they are looking like they could at least compete.  The West in general is just brutal to be a part of right now.  I'm hoping it starts to balance itself out, but I'm not holding my breath with the league divided the way it is right now.  Hopefully they bring in a new NHL team or two, which I know has been rumored.  The problem with that is that any expansion teams that might be brought in are going to struggle for years, especially being in the West. 

well the argument there is Tallinder. that move was clearly to make room, and you can't say we got any value in return. i believe that is an example where he made a deal just to make a deal

True, but at that point Tallinder didn't have much value around the league due to him being injured recently and not being much of a point producer. I also think he wanted out after kinda being the odd man out in the 8 man rotation on defense. So while it was a move to make room, I don't really know how much more could have been expected from a trade and keeping him wasn't giving us much value either.

Edited by ATLL765

I'm one of those that feels you never sign a player with the intention of trading him. But these are 1 yr (reasonable) contracts, and in the event that Ribeiro/Roy put up good numbers, and they're out of the playoff picture, they could be nice "moveable" asset. Then again, if they play well, they could earn extensions. I think Ribeiro couldn't play in Tippet's system, and might just flourish under Lavi?