This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

The best thing that could happen would be a Pittsburgh Cup win + Fleury re-signing.  I think Schneider can't hold out hope for Pittsburgh though, because he likely doesn't have a ton of options if that falls through.  Most teams have a goalie they like and/or is signed for a long time.  

It may be in Schneider's and NJ's best interest to sign him to a 3 year deal worth 24 million, something like that.  If the team is going south in 2 years he can be shopped.

In fairness, he is a mod. 

Nah, I'm not, and I hope no one is fooled by that - I was/am a chat mod, but I don't control anything on the board.

The best thing that could happen would be a Pittsburgh Cup win + Fleury re-signing.  I think Schneider can't hold out hope for Pittsburgh though, because he likely doesn't have a ton of options if that falls through.  Most teams have a goalie they like and/or is signed for a long time.  

It may be in Schneider's and NJ's best interest to sign him to a 3 year deal worth 24 million, something like that.  If the team is going south in 2 years he can be shopped.

Yeah, there's risks involved.  And yeah, all it takes is Fleury re-signing with Pitt to kill that option for Cory. 

If Fleury ever reaches UFA status, his agent has two major cards to play:  health (he's been durable) and wins.  And his teams have twice reached the finals.  He could wind up with 500 wins if he continues to play on good teams.  I'm curious if there's that one GM who won't be able to help himself and offers MAF 6-7, despite the rough postseasons he's been prone to. 

I'd be surprised if Cory only signed for 3 years, but I guess it's not crazy to think he might be open to 4-6 years, as opposed to 7-8.

• Like 1

has he ever showed any interest about going to pittsburg?...just wondering how this even got brought up as some type of possibility

The big name teams are always targets for big names. PITT, NYR, , PHI those are a few names that are always supposedly "in the mix."

has he ever showed any interest about going to pittsburg?...just wondering how this even got brought up as some type of possibility

It's more that MAF will become an UFA at the same time that Cory will...it lines up (not-so) nicely.  And let's face it, having the chance to play for a team that boasts two of the top offensive players in the NHL on it is a pretty nice draw...especially for a guy who got awful goal support this season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I threw this up in the Thornton thread but it's more appropriate here:

I think Tomas Flieschmann would be a worthwhile gamble. I know there are a lot of bigger names out there not coming off a horrible season but I think this is a real low risk high reward type move that we can do without giving up any decent assets. He could be a good addition as a wing on the Zajac/Jagr line. Previous to this season he was basically a .7 ppg player who has fallen out of favor in Florida.

Lou needs to be dealing with Schneider and his contract extension now. I don't think a deal can actually be signed until 7/1 but Lou can certainly make attractive offers before then. If it turns out we yanked him around too much for a marginal backup goalie with a big mouth and he doesn't want to re-sign, we can easily recoup our top 10 pick in the draft with a single trade.

Lou needs to be dealing with Schneider and his contract extension now. I don't think a deal can actually be signed until 7/1 but Lou can certainly make attractive offers before then. If it turns out we yanked him around too much for a marginal backup goalie with a big mouth and he doesn't want to re-sign, we can easily recoup our top 10 pick in the draft with a single trade.

That's a big wish. If Lou doesn't lock up Cory he's likely gone in free agency. Only way we get a top 10 draft pick is if we suck next year which is somewhat likely.

That's a big wish. If Lou doesn't lock up Cory he's likely gone in free agency. Only way we get a top 10 draft pick is if we suck next year which is somewhat likely.

i think we have a chance to be a pretty different team next year from what we were this year.. again it all depends on what moves lou makes in free agency.. if he truely thinks the team he has is good enough to be a contender well then..not only is he senile but then yes we will suck..if he figures out a way to lock up 2 top forwards sign one and trade for one i think we could have the ability to be a lethal team.

Again, you guys have led yourselves to believe that Cory is upset or pissed that he didn't get a lot of games this year is stupid and unrealistic.  Both 'Tenders understood the situation after that trade was made.   I made a post on another thread saying the same thing.   There are only 30 starting jobs available to an insane amount of goaltenders.  If you discover gold, you lock it the fvck down and put your name on it.  I'm understand the comparison is a stretch, but I'm of the opinion that Schneider doesn't want to fight for a #1 spot anymore.  He wants to be a #1 and the gold is sitting right in front of him.  I'm sure he's going to get the money that he asks for, he's a great goaltender, easily a top ten guy even after a rough year in NJ. 

Again, you guys have led yourselves to believe that Cory is upset or pissed that he didn't get a lot of games this year is stupid and unrealistic. Both 'Tenders understood the situation after that trade was made. I made a post on another thread saying the same thing. There are only 30 starting jobs available to an insane amount of goaltenders. If you discover gold, you lock it the fvck down and put your name on it. I'm understand the comparison is a stretch, but I'm of the opinion that Schneider doesn't want to fight for a #1 spot anymore. He wants to be a #1 and the gold is sitting right in front of him. I'm sure he's going to get the money that he asks for, he's a great goaltender, easily a top ten guy even after a rough year in NJ.

Cory holds all of the cards here. He can still test free agency to see who's willing to give him what he wants. Most people would view him as at least a top 15 goalie in the league. I think it's safe to say he would be made a starter in at least 10-15 other markets. Hell I'd bet Vancouver would love to have him back. Edited by Jerzey Devil

the only thing that makes me think cory will not want to sign here is if he feels and he realistically could feel like the team has nothing to offer him as far as a winning team.. kind of the same thing with ufa's coming here there is nothing to lure them here with

Nah, I'm not, and I hope no one is fooled by that - I was/am a chat mod, but I don't control anything on the board.

None the chat mods have forum abilities (close threads or delete posts etc.).

Maybe the Devils could go for a guy like Sven Baertschi. He was looking like a top prospect coming out of the 2011 draft, but he can't crack the Flames lineup (he did alright in the AHL this year at .7 p/g).  Maybe a change of scenery could be good for him. Although, it might be a really stupid move for the Flames to move him, with the way their team looks.

I admittedly don't know much about his game. Has anyone actually seen him play?

Maybe the Devils could go for a guy like Sven Baertschi. He was looking like a top prospect coming out of the 2011 draft, but he can't crack the Flames lineup (he did alright in the AHL this year at .7 p/g).  Maybe a change of scenery could be good for him. Although, it might be a really stupid move for the Flames to move him, with the way their team looks.

I admittedly don't know much about his game. Has anyone actually seen him play?

he wears a mean sweater

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVGrzqf4go

just figured i would bring this up in here for the hell of it even though it carries no weight at all really... on one of the devils facebook fan groups someone said something about kovy coming back..and right away some were for it some were against it some thought it could happen and some said it would never happen.. anyone think anything about kovalchuk possibly coming back? and if he was to come back to the team anyone have any thoughts on maybe when? again..this was like some hearsay amongst fans just thought i would make some discussion on it in here

I'd take him back if it was for, say, 5 years, at less per year than the original deal.

I'd also require a clause that if he defects again, he is obligated to stand center ice, any fan who is interested can stand in line to kick him in the nuts.

I'm not flexible on the second part.

The rest of the NHL is probably unhappy about NJ getting a 1st round pick this year - I imagine they're not in a mood to allow Kovalchuk back into the league.  Plus given his play the last two years I'd only want him on a one year deal.

The rest of the NHL is probably unhappy about NJ getting a 1st round pick this year - I imagine they're not in a mood to allow Kovalchuk back into the league. Plus given his play the last two years I'd only want him on a one year deal.

I think the way it works is if he wants back in immediately all of the owners have to agree to it, or at least enough of them have to. Otherwise, he has to not play hockey for a year, and then the Devils have his rights outright until he's 35.

There's just too much money on the table in Russia, unless there are schnenagans with him getting paid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk