Toronto extends Carlyle

MadDog2020

This is so sad. I actually feel for Leafs fans with the incompetence in that organization.

The 5-year extension to Nonis was ridiculous last off-season. Now, not only do they decide to keep Carlyle, who had 1-year left on his contract, they offer him a 2-year extension for absolutely no reason. 

Bring in Tim Leiweke. Bring in Brendan Shanahan. Same old pathetic franchise.

Meh, I don't know. I see coaches getting fired left and right, sometimes I wonder if it's the coache's fault at all. Look at the Leafs roster,  they are what they are, a good offensive team, terrible defensemen and that's what you get as a result. Maybe Shanahan feels from looking at everything, talking around the league, that Carlyle is a good coach that just needs some better players.

Meh, I don't know. I see coaches getting fired left and right, sometimes I wonder if it's the coache's fault at all. Look at the Leafs roster,  they are what they are, a good offensive team, terrible defensemen and that's what you get as a result. Maybe Shanahan feels from looking at everything, talking around the league, that Carlyle is a good coach that just needs some better players.

No, Carlyle is awful.  Everyone on the Toronto roster is worse than they were pre-Carlyle.  A lot of coaches are fired unnecessarily but I guarantee the Leafs would win more games if they hired someone else.

Toronto wanted Deboer or Laviolette.

Cue up the Kadri trade rumors.

Source? I remember hearing DeBoer to Toronto on this board.  Which players are realistically gone if they need more defense?  They seem to have a hard-on for Phaneuf and it's not likely they give up a Phil Kessel.  I'd take a Kulemin maybe, but that's spitballing

The onus is on Nonis now to shake up the team. With the Carlyle extension, they are going to want to get some players he wants and get rid of ones he wants out.

How can the Devils get Kadri here?

They can't. Toronto has some nice young D like Gardiner and Rielly

Down Goes Brown on the last 5 years as a Leafs fan.

The bad: Let's do this chronologically: the Leafs use a compliance buyout on Grabovski, paying him $14M to go away even though he's their best two-way center, and they let MacArthur walk as a free agent. That gives them a ton of cap space, which they use to resign Bozak and to give David Clarkson the league's worst contract. When people point out that giving seven years to a guy like Clarkson seems insane, Nonis says he doesn't care because he's only worried about year one. New MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke shows up and immediately embarrasses himself by announcing that he's planning a parade route. He also gives Nonis an extension even though he doesn't need one.

Bolland gets hurt after a month, which becomes the organization's go-to excuse for the rest of the season. Clarkson is awful. It becomes increasingly apparent that Carlyle has no idea how to fix the team's defensive problems. The team's luck runs out at the end of the season and they suddenly can't buy a win. Carlyle points the finger at Reimer, and some Leaf fans actually go along with. The whole organization starts incessantly spouting meaningless buzzwords like "compete level" and "identity".

The Leafs go 2-12-0 the close out the schedule and miss the playoffs yet again

Leweike vows that there will be culture change and hires Brendan Shanahan to make it happen. Instead, all the key decision-makers keep their jobs, and Carlyle actually gets an extension. The team is capped out, the prospect cupboard is mostly bare, and almost the entire core is locked into long-term contracts. They're screwed.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2014/05/maple-leafs-burke-nonis-carlyle-wilson.html

They can't. Toronto has some nice young D like Gardiner and Rielly

Gardiner has been rumoured to be traded for a while. He's a very good player but Gardiner and Kadri are not considered core players by Nonis/Carlyle.

They need to improve defensively. I don't think they are looking for any young defensemen. 

Gardiner has been rumoured to be traded for a while. He's a very good player but Gardiner and Kadri are not considered core players by Nonis/Carlyle.

They need to improve defensively. I don't think they are looking for any young defensemen. 

IIRC they started ramping up Gardiner's minutes late last year. Though, I guess Dreger's recent tweets are somewhat damning re Toronto trading those guys

Salvador seems like a good fit for them

is there a kadri deal that makes sense for the devils?

Henrique-Larsson for Kadri-Gardiner would make sense, I think.  I don't know if the Leafs do it - I think they are getting the worse end value-wise - but I don't know what the Leafs are capable of.

I love how crazy some Leafs fans are, taken from this post defending Carlyle.

People who are obsessed with advanced stats (they are a valuable tool, but let’s get a grip) claim that the collapse of the Leafs this past spring was “predictable by anyone” who looked at them.  Which, if you believe that, you are a bigger fool than the kind of people who claim one Carlyle’s biggest mistakes was running Grabovski and Macarthur out of town.

You didn't even need advanced stats...the fact that they were getting outshot seemingly every night and giving up a high number of shots pretty much dictated that the losses would start coming if the goaltending wasn't terrific most nights.  Once it stopped being terrific...well, everyone saw what happened.

Very true you don't need any stat to show how terrible the Leafs were. I just think it's funny considering how anti Corsi/Fenwick Leafs fans tend to be and how a lot of them were in denial all year about how bad the team really was. Now this guy is trying to talk himself into thinking that Carlyle isn't the problem. I love how the author blames the Leafs downfall on playing "5 offensive defensemen" (his words). Plus arguing that they were right to take Clarkson over Grabovski and MacArthur is hilarious. I mean they paid Grabovski to not play for them to open up room for the likes of Clarkson.

Didn't Carlile pick his assistants that were let go??  Or were they already there? Shouldn't he have a hand in who new assistant should be? The assistants got canned because of leafs failure.  Carlyle won a cup in Anaheim because of the team he had.  He doesn't have that, and won't have it next year either. 

When they fall out of playoffs next year, they'll hire an assistant assistant West Coast promo man. to right the ship......................again.