OFF-SEASON GAME PLAN: NEW JERSEY DEVILS

eaglejelly

Realistically speaking, if you are Stastny, why would you choose NJ over the myriad of other teams that will be throwing $$ his way come July 1?  I can see him coming here if the Devils give him a longer term/more $$ deal, but other than that, we are not a desirable destination for top FA's right now.

We also have other factors here that might be attractive and one example is playing in the NY Metro area but with less pressure than playing in da Gahden.

Are we a top destination?  Probably not but I do not think we are as bad as some other teams such as Edmonton, Columbus, etc.

That door has been closed for over a year now.  Robinson specifically stated that he was taking a job out West to devote more time to family matters and be closer to family living out West.  Robinson did great things for us in terms of coaching defensemen, but can he really be credited with developing great defensemen?  Larsson took some strides under him but Robinson can't take credit for any current young defenseman on the roster.  Not dogging Robinson at all, he's an amazing coach, and more experience than Stevens, but I'm still behind this current coaching staff, very much so. 

I would say Robinson can take credit for Colin White, Brian Rafalski, and Paul Martin.

Realistically speaking, if you are Stastny, why would you choose NJ over the myriad of other teams that will be throwing $$ his way come July 1?  I can see him coming here if the Devils give him a longer term/more $$ deal, but other than that, we are not a desirable destination for top FA's right now.

Well there is the fact that his dad played here that might figure to at the very least make it a little less random destination. For some reason even during our heyday we have never been a highly rated destination for FA's. Every time they do player polls about this kind of thing we rank low, but at the same time players that have played here tend to like to keep coming back especially after trying someplace else.

I'd give Robinson a lot of credit for the defensive work he did with the teams forwards.  Personally, I think he's a hit or miss kind of guy with actual defence coaching. And he gets really bufuddled when he misses. I always feel like he can really communicate, but that doesn't always translate into results and he gets all freaked out by that. He can let it slide with forwards because he just can leave more space whereas a defence man I think he holds more accountable and that actually sometimes backfires I kind of suspect. Robinson also seems to take stuff very personally when the chips are down - he accepts too much personal responsibility.  So he gets frustrated and I don't know but I feel like he gets pissy...  then the guys feel like they've failed -- then Robinson feels like HE'S failed and it's just this downward spiral.   That's just too close to the surface with this organization in particular. 

Stevens should be learning from all that - he has similar short-comings with taking things too personally - but sometimes I think he can't go that extra step with the pushback he might be getting.  Robinson didn't do well with pushback I'm surmising from his interactions with Niedermayer. Especially that sort of reluctant respectful pushback that you can't really respond to as a mentor, without seeming like a hot head.   Stevens needs to not contain so much in one respect and not let so much out in another.  Because I dont think these guys are feeling the full message, I think it all reads as frustration distance hostility disappointment -- when with a guys like Stevens I actually think he's a quiet ponderer - he needs all this silent space to consider his next steps and ... blah.... this is why I think he'd be a fine head coach - that you can't quite compare the assistant coach to the head coach. blah blah blabubblhblubblah... I do get sick of hearing myself pontificate. 

EDIT -- when I think about it, I actually have ZERO idea what Stevens is like as a coach.  I dont think anyone does.  Did anyone ever see him work any of those workshops? 

Edited by Pepperkorn

I try not to over think this stuff. ... let's do some elementary analysis 

Sign Cory (don't want to see a final year play on our goalie.. too big a distraction is the continuous FA talk)

And get some friggin players who can friggin score goals, because we couldn't the last 2 seasons ....and the players we have who can score are gettin old.

Our D is fine and will work itself out

oh yeah -- but on topic -- I hear this.

Money's the biggest one.  Getting a chance to play with Jagr, not having to play in a city where people recognize you a lot, playing for a team that's been a winner in the recent past if not the recent recent past - I know, it doesn't add up to a great case, but there's certainly things going for it.

Money's the biggest one.  Getting a chance to play with Jagr, not having to play in a city where people recognize you a lot, playing for a team that's been a winner in the recent past if not the recent recent past - I know, it doesn't add up to a great case, but there's certainly things going for it.

In the end its not a great chance but they've got somewhat of a chance. Pulling numbers out of my ass I'd say 10 percent or around there

I would guess that 7 years $56 million is what it would take for him to at least consider the Devils.  Probably too much.

What do people think it would take to get Brett Connolly from Tampa. His AHL numbers are pretty good and I believe he's waiver eligible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably not much because he is waiver eligible and hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet. Probably a prospect like Scarlett and a 2015 2nd

Pirri wasn't a top pick like Connolly. It's not like Connolly hasn't done anything in the AHL

Connolly has done nothing at the NHL level though - his numbers are positively Tedenbyesque - and he has to be on your team.  How many clubs are willing to give up a lot for that?   It's all about what teams are willing to pay and I don't see a lot of clubs willing to shell out a lot for him.  Frankly when we were doing a lot of the analysis on Connolly, the Lightning still had MSL - if Callahan goes, they could find a spot for Connolly if they wanted.  Regardless, draft position just doesn't matter a ton at this point.

Edited by Triumph

Connolly has done nothing at the NHL level though - his numbers are positively Tedenbyesque - and he has to be on your team. How many clubs are willing to give up a lot for that? It's all about what teams are willing to pay and I don't see a lot of clubs willing to shell out a lot for him. Frankly when we were doing a lot of the analysis on Connolly, the Lightning still had MSL - if Callahan goes, they could find a spot for Connolly if they wanted. Regardless, draft position just doesn't matter a ton at this point.

It's not Connolly's fault that literally every TB forward prospect has crazy skill. Seriously, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and then Drouin in the wings.

It's not Connolly's fault that literally every TB forward prospect has crazy skill. Seriously, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and then Drouin in the wings.

I can't wait to see Drouin do work in the NHL. if he isnt called up next year then what the fvck

Is no one concerned about what could be our biggest issue in a year (if not this year) - Schneider?

Why hasn't he signed yet? Of all the rumors and acticles I've seen that the Devils are "hopeful" to re-sign Schneider to a contract extension is anyone worried that we'll not see it this year and we'll see the same Lou behavior as we have in the past with all of our past top UFAs? If he doesn't sign a deal over the summer I'm going to be very nervous that he won't sign at all. Especally if we miss the playoffs again next year. Would you blame him for leaving? The only thing that would work in our favor is that there aren't a lot of teams in the market for a starting goaltender.