Confronting the Nightmare - UPDATE: NIGHTMARE OVER, KINGS WIN!&#33

Neb00rs

Spent the week in Miami.  Was in a Hooters after going to the Marlins/Pirates game, and caught most of the 3rd and both OTs.  Me and my 5 other friends went absolutely nuts that the Floridians were cheering with us and celebrating.  Who would have thought they hate the Rangers too.  

Spent the week in Miami.  Was in a Hooters after going to the Marlins/Pirates game, and caught most of the 3rd and both OTs.  Me and my 5 other friends went absolutely nuts that the Floridians were cheering with us and celebrating.  Who would have thought they hate the Rangers too.  

You were in Miami. All those people are from New Jersey.

I dont know...it seems 50% of Florida is transplanted New Yawka's

There are people from all over the northeast down there. As a Dolphins fan, I'm used to having our stadium half-filled with Jets/Pats/Bills fans whenever we play them. That's partially because we suck, and have for years. But that's also the transplant factor at work. Tons of NJ/NY/Boston transplants (hell, all my family in Florida are originally from NJ lol).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/final-thoughts-from-the-stanley-cup-final-it-wasnt-even-close/

Interesting soundbytes, like Drew Doughty essentially calling it the softest and easiest series of the playoffs.

Yeah I posted his quotes yesterday- predictably, all the Rags fans started crying about it (go read the Rags board at HF if you wanna laugh regarding this subject and others lol). Edited by MadDog2020

It's definitely not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. 

It certainly may be the truth, but the question is "was it necessary to say"? I think that answer is yes; someone needed to say something about West > East, and give the Sharks/Hawks/Ducks credit for having to play in a harder conference.

Two things I can't wrap my head around. Lundqvist signing with NYR before FA and McDonagh on that contract.

So if I am Henrik knowing what I know back in December or whenever he signed that deal around then, why not wait until FA. See how this playoff run went. He's been losing so much there over the years, to really look at the teams to see what I would want to do. He could've signed in NY anyway. He could've also looked at other places, like PIT and go hmm.... Malkin, Crosby and me? He wouldn't need to beg for scoring anymore.

McD signed a ridiculously low deal at like 4.7..if he signed shorter term he could've put in a 7-7.5M deal easily..he probably cost himself 10-12M by taking that lower deal.

Two things I can't wrap my head around. Lundqvist signing with NYR before FA and McDonagh on that contract.

So if I am Henrik knowing what I know back in December or whenever he signed that deal around then, why not wait until FA. See how this playoff run went. He's been losing so much there over the years, to really look at the teams to see what I would want to do. He could've signed in NY anyway. He could've also looked at other places, like PIT and go hmm.... Malkin, Crosby and me? He wouldn't need to beg for scoring anymore.

McD signed a ridiculously low deal at like 4.7..if he signed shorter term he could've put in a 7-7.5M deal easily..he probably cost himself 10-12M by taking that lower deal.

The MCD contract is one of the best in the NHL. The fact that Girardi is making almost a full million more per year compared to MCD is laughable. He hits UFA when he turns 30 so I guess he'll cash in at that time but he easily cost himself $10M plus.

I believe Lunqvist's deal made him the highest paid goalie in the league, plus it's nicely front loaded.  Waiting to be a UFA wouldn't have gotten him anymore money.  Not to mention the fact that without a deal, there's a risk of injury, or that he would have a poor playoff performance, which, rightly or wrongly, can significantly impact what teams are willing to pay.  McDononough was an RFA, who had never been a Norris finalist.  Typically that's what it takes to get a really big deal at that stage of your career.

What surprised me was that no one tried to sign Stepan to an offersheet.  A team could have given him something like a 3 year $16 million deal, which the Rangers would have been hard pressed to match due to the cap crunch.  For that I think you only have to send a first and a second the other way as compensation, which is definitely a fair price for someone who should be a 25 goal per year scorer. 

whats scary is if the rags buy out Richards (and I've read its gonna happen) they will have 24 million free cap space next season

$24 million to spend on at least 8 roster spots, including raises for Kreider, Zuccarello, and Moore.  Perhaps there's enough there to sign one big ticket free agent, but I don't think they have room to break the bank. 

Once you hit July 1, the 8 year contract is off the table.  Now he only got 7 years, but he got a very good contract.  I imagine there's a very large bias in athletes towards thinking that your current team is good enough to win a championship, because that's what you spend your days doing and talking about.  It's not like the Rangers have been bad over Lundqvist's time there and they've clearly been making moves to win.

McDonagh's alternative was a bridge deal, which probably would've been 4/2.  He signed a good deal for NYR for sure but that was the tradeoff.  He probably would've gotten 6.5M on a new deal.  I don't think he cost himself that much money, because at the end of his current deal he will be eligible for a $9M/year deal.

Edited by Triumph

McDonaugh should fire his agent and hire Girardi's, or Salvador's for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys wanna laugh your asses off, check out MSG right now. '2014 Rangers: a Run to Remember' is on. I sh!t you not. You knew it was coming! LMFAO!!!

Well, at least it'll break up the monotony of 1994 coverage. I wonder when they will have their first "pre-season to remember" special.

'Just announced: in addition to raising their Eastern Conference Champs banner on opening night, the Rangers will also be retiring the numbers of '94 Press Box Warriors Eddie Olcyzk and Nick Kypreos. Newly named captain Ryan McDonagh will also be taking a victory lap in front of the Garden Faithful with the Prince of Wales Trophy. Before the big night, stop by Rangersville to meet winners like Ron Dugay and Rod 'Jack Daniels' Gilbert. It'll be fun for the whole family! Get your tickets now!'