The 2014 World Cup- Brazil

Good. Being a soccer noob I didn't know this guy had these kinds of incidents more than once before. Amazing. What a fvcking squirrel-face clown.

squirrel-face clown? haha ok nice

i'd be surprised if it affects his club play though, i doubt they'd have any jursidiction here.  not really sure how a lot of international play works, but it is in fact a 24 match ban, would that stretch to the next world cup? i guess just anything FIFA sponsors, just not sure what that entails

squirrel-face clown? haha ok nice

i'd be surprised if it affects his club play though, i doubt they'd have any jursidiction here. not really sure how a lot of international play works, but it is in fact a 24 match ban, would that stretch to the next world cup? i guess just anything FIFA sponsors, just not sure what that entails

Maybe beaver face is more appropriate. Those two front chompers are something else.. :P

Melbourne-Victory-v-Liverpool.jpg

Edited by nmigliore

I am amazed as just how poorly the US did their own things wrong this game (passing, shooting, possession although credit Germany's positioning on this).  It seems like they were just lost out there, especially in the midfield.  Well-played in the back third, though.  They didn't have the ball much but they also defended well.

Second place is still good enough to go forward, and comparatively speaking we didn't get a bad draw in the round of 16 (95% chance of Belgium, then Argentina/Switzerland) in comparison to some of the other teams in the draw (though Germany/France looks to be an amazing match assuming both make it to their respective quarterfinal positions).  I would not rule the semis out for us just yet (though the Netherlands looks like the second best team in the tournament right now, I don't like our chances in that match, but if we get there I'd be MORE than estatic).

So proud of this team. Overcame a tough group, travel, and conditions to advance. A lot to be proud of. Great to see Gonzalez back in form too. Hopefully Bradley can finally find his game for the Round of 16. Loving what Jones and Beckerman have been doing so far.

This post really sums up my thinking as well. Gonzalez was a savior early on. 

I didn't see much of the Ghana game but it looks like they got in their own way: an own goal and the bizarre events that led to the 2nd goal.  

Congratulations USA . I could not see a way out of the group for them but they have proved me wrong. It's been a crazy world cup to predict. Costa Rica winning their group. Italy, Spain,Portugal and England all out.

Second place is still good enough to go forward, and comparatively speaking we didn't get a bad draw in the round of 16 (95% chance of Belgium, then Argentina/Switzerland) in comparison to some of the other teams in the draw (though Germany/France looks to be an amazing match assuming both make it to their respective quarterfinal positions).  I would not rule the semis out for us just yet (though the Netherlands looks like the second best team in the tournament right now, I don't like our chances in that match, but if we get there I'd be MORE than estatic).

lol there's basically no shot they get through Belgium AND Argentina.  I'm just glad they got through to the knockout round for the second straight time (a first for us), especially since if they didn't that terrible Portugal finish would have overshadowed everything else they've done the last couple years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

lol there's basically no shot they get through Belgium AND Argentina.  I'm just glad they got through to the knockout round for the second straight time (a first for us), especially since if they didn't that terrible Portugal finish would have overshadowed everything else they've done the last couple years.

Argentina is basically Portugal with a better single player (Messi > Rinaldo) and a worse other 10.  They've played pretty poorly IMO against weaker competition, they've not yet been tested, and after watching the Swiss job to France, they might not be, either.  I'm not saying Messi couldn't smoke us single-handedly, but I'm confident that the US can shut them down if they meet.

Argentina is basically Portugal with a better single player (Messi > Rinaldo) and a worse other 10. They've played pretty poorly IMO against weaker competition, they've not yet been tested, and after watching the Swiss job to France, they might not be, either. I'm not saying Messi couldn't smoke us single-handedly, but I'm confident that the US can shut them down if they meet.

Really?

Argentina is far superior to Portugal. Di Maria , Levezzi, Higuain, Mascherano, Zaballetta are all better than anything in the Portugal squad. Also Messi is great but he is not better than Ronaldo anymore.

It was tough, but we survived the Group of Death. Just glad when I get to Brazil finally, the US will still be there.

Argentina is basically Portugal with a better single player (Messi > Rinaldo) and a worse other 10.  They've played pretty poorly IMO against weaker competition, they've not yet been tested, and after watching the Swiss job to France, they might not be, either.  I'm not saying Messi couldn't smoke us single-handedly, but I'm confident that the US can shut them down if they meet.

I think Belgium is beatable, its going to take a MUCH MUCH better offensive effort though, reqlly missing Altidore, and its become crystal clear that Bradley is much more of a holding center mid than a playmaker. Thats the 1 position where you really see the difference between the US and top flight teams, we donot have the dominate center mid.

As for Argentina, so much better than Portugal, they have 3 top flight stirkers, Portugal has 1, Aguero, Higuam & Messi are all so dangerous...  Argetina is very susspect in the back though....

Edited by redruM

As for Argentina, so much better than Portugal, they have 3 top flight stirkers, Portugal has 1, Aguero, Higuam & Messi are all so dangerous...  Argetina is very susspect in the back though....

Di Maria too, guess he's more of a winger, but he shoots a ton, and he's another threat.

Edited by mouse

Argentina got the best side of the tournament now... Only Holland got enough firepower to make suffer their back-end (that isn't good enough to make us champion at the very end)... 

But, sorry in advance, but USA isn't that good yet. It's not arrogance to say that.. but you are where you are just because Portugal collapse et get super unlucky with key injuries (every nation got blow with injury but damn.. first game... a blow out & 2 majors injury + C.Ronaldo on one leg the whole tournament)

Belgium is by experience & talent far superior of team USA... BUT... US' willing to win and trouble to make play from team belgium.. you may win this game

Even Mexico (if they win versus Holland - totally possible) are far superior right now... They aren't the same team you play against during elimination tour. Not at all.

That being said, congratz USA for being at the level of this demanding competition... No doubt you deserve more  than portugal (that again.. weren't at 100% since day one) (but hey ! that's history) ...

Here in France.. we "should be ok" versus Nigeria... then two really different scenario : Tournament end versus Germany or ... Algerie that upset big time this german team ... play against France... The country will be on fire (litteraly) ; ) 

Argentina got the best side of the tournament now... Only Holland got enough firepower to make suffer their back-end (that isn't good enough to make us champion at the very end)... 

But, sorry in advance, but USA isn't that good yet. It's not arrogance to say that.. but you are where you are just because Portugal collapse et get super unlucky with key injuries (every nation got blow with injury but damn.. first game... a blow out & 2 majors injury + C.Ronaldo on one leg the whole tournament)

Belgium is by experience & talent far superior of team USA... BUT... US' willing to win and trouble to make play from team belgium.. you may win this game

Even Mexico (if they win versus Holland - totally possible) are far superior right now... They aren't the same team you play against during elimination tour. Not at all.

That being said, congratz USA for being at the level of this demanding competition... No doubt you deserve more  than portugal (that again.. weren't at 100% since day one) (but hey ! that's history) ...

Here in France.. we "should be ok" versus Nigeria... then two really different scenario : Tournament end versus Germany or ... Algerie that upset big time this german team ... play against France... The country will be on fire (litteraly) ; ) 

Not a fan of Germanys squad Mou?

Neuer is probably the best goalie in the world. Hummles , Kroos , Muller, Schwiensteiger, Gotze , Ozil, that's one hell of a squad right there. I mean Draxler hasn't even got a game yet!!

I guess its really close between the two, maybe Germanys strikers let them down.

I freaky love Germany ! 

Since i'm a little kid... even when they were soooo boring 

But they didn't impress me as much as i expect this year. They should WALK on EVERYBODY face with that much power & talent... (and they could still do)... the game versus Portugal doesn't show the true face...

I still see them win the cup of course... But...

But...

hey ! 

French are such pain in the ass... ; ) 

Mous you make it seem like the US has been healthy??  No Altidore, Dempsey broken noxe, Besler not 100%....

Belgium is a tough side, but I think the US can play with them and hopefully their determination can get them through, I think Argentina is the best side, Ipicked them to win it, but Germany & Holland also very good.

lots of fun soccer left to watch

I know I got caned for Argentina/Portugal comparisons, but I'm not the only one seeing the cracks in Argentina:

Argentina has been a one-man band up to this point. Gonzalo Higuain and Sergio Aguero look like they’re playing on Claritin. The defense has been — well, picture a really fun novel; now picture a footnote that nobody reads.

I'm not saying the US would be favored by any stretch of the imagination should that match happen, but I am going to continue to trust my eyes and say that they've been in poor-ish form for this tournament so far, and a better team than they've played so far could beat them (the writer above hints at the Swiss being a stronger challenge than anticipated, but it remains to be seen if they can compete).

On a non-homer note, I also agree with this:

After a totally thrilling group stage, the knockout rounds look as wide open as in any major competition since at least Euro 2008 — coincidentally also the most fun international tournament of the last 10 years.