congrats to the 2013-14 Champs, the Kings

msweet

Usually a lot of times these teams are christened as "teams of destiny" after they have completed their run.  These NY writers were already crowning the Rangers as such before the Finals even started.

I think St. Louis mother's passing away (and the comeback against the Pens) helped that along for sure.  Add in Dominic Moore's story as well, and St. Louis' and Moore's very unfortunate tragedies help to give the "team of destiny" angle life.

I think St. Louis mother's passing away (and the comeback against the Pens) helped that along for sure.  Add in Dominic Moore's story as well, and St. Louis' and Moore's very unfortunate tragedies help to give the "team of destiny" angle life.

True but these writers were even giving the Rags the prediction that they would win these series just based on "destiny" itself.  They were basically counting their chickens before they hatched based on a gut feeling.  Brooksie even wrote at the end of his prediction piece "the Canyon of Heroes awaits."

If they wrote a prediction/match-up piece about any other team and made a prediction just based on gut feeling they would be laughed and mocked relentlessly on every other professional outlet and social media.  I guess their better judgement was thrown out the window because they too got caught up in the Rags euphoria and they wanted to sell more papers in NY.

"Team of destiny" just means a team that a critical mass of sports writers (usually those that don't know very much about the sport) think is the more interesting story.  

Meh, "teams of destiny" don't always make it easy on themselves.  Hell, the '86 Mets were a "team of destiny", with a lot of compelling individual stories, but their playoff run was rough...it took them six games and a marathon extra-inning match in Game 6 just to get past Houston (and Mike Scott was making them crazy...they would've faced him again in Game 7 if they hadn't won Game 6), and of course, against Boston they lost the first two games and were down 3 games to 2, and were two runs down in Game 6 and one strike away from losing the World Series, when Boston basically imploded, first allowing the game to be tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch, then of course, Bill Buckner's error allowing the winning run to score.  The Mets then fell behind 3-0 in Game 7 before storming back to win. 

Sometimes teams of destiny are the ones that keep overcoming obstacles to win. 

It's the NHL playoffs. There are no "team's of destiny". I know it is cliche as fvck, but it really is the toughest trophy to win. After the 1st round, there are 8 teams that feel really good about themselves and say "that there is just something special about this team." Maybe it's surviving elimination in round 1 or winning in game 7 OT. Maybe it is looking flat out dominant early on in the playoffs, but it's such a long ride and such a long grind...

It's very easy to get caught up in that stuff. Eventually, the magic or luck runs out and you just face a stronger team. The Devils were looking great in 2006 having won their last 11 regular season games including an incredible comeback on the final day of the season against Montreal to win the division. They came into the playoffs and swept their rivals. That was 15 in a row, and then they got beat up by the Canes. You feel great about a team, and think they are on some special run, and then it can be over quickly.

Usually, the teams that don't talk about that destiny crap are the damn good teams that expect to be winning. Doubt you heard that from NJ fans in 2000, 2001, or 2003, but probably more often during the 2012 Cup run.

Edited by devilsrule33

Schneider on goalie interference (note, it's behind the espn paywall, so mods can delete this if necessary)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=3168&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_CUSTANCE_GOALIEINTERFERENCE

New Jersey Devils goalie Cory Schneider is part of the competition committee, and took part via conference call. He’s very much in agreement with Hainsey and Campbell on this, and said the goalies he speaks with aren’t all that eager to expand replay for goalie interference.

“Instances like Game 2 [King’s goal] get amplified because of the stage, but overall the officials do a good job of protecting the crease,” Schneider said during a Monday phone conversation. “When it could impact the game, like the other night, you say ‘Hey, I wouldn’t want that to happen to me.’ I think overall that the guys I talk to, we’re more worried about getting run over and flattened and staying safe that way.”

With so much emphasis put on teams getting traffic in front of the net, Schneider said part of the responsibility falls on the goalie to claim their space.

“Sometimes you have to fight for your position. It’s a skill you acquire with experience,” he said. “As a goalie, you know it’s part of the game.”

It's the NHL playoffs. There are no "team's of destiny". I know it is cliche as fvck, but it really is the toughest trophy to win. After the 1st round, there are 8 teams that feel really good about themselves and say "that there is just something special about this team." Maybe it's surviving elimination in round 1 or winning in game 7 OT. Maybe it is looking flat out dominant early on in the playoffs, but it's such a long ride and such a long grind...

It's very easy to get caught up in that stuff. Eventually, the magic or luck runs out and you just face a stronger team. The Devils were looking great in 2006 having won their last 11 regular season games including an incredible comeback on the final day of the season against Montreal to win the division. They came into the playoffs and swept their rivals. That was 15 in a row, and then they got beat up by the Canes.

Usually, the teams that don't talk about that destiny crap are the damn good teams that expect to be winning. Doubt you heard that from NJ fans in 2000, 2001, or 2003, but probably more often during the 2012 Cup run.

Back in my day "teams of destiny" used to be called teams on a "cinderella run"

We also used to tie onions to our belts, which was the style at the time.

• Like 1

Is it too much to ask for another shutout so we don't have to hear that stupid goal song again this season...?

Pretty feasible considering the fire Quick's showing at the moment. Think about it, what is it, a 3rd period + 2OTs from Game 2 and all of Game 3 not letting in a goal? Almost 2 games worth of a shutout and his play is trending upward.

Pretty feasible considering the fire Quick's showing at the moment. Think about it, what is it, a 3rd period + 2OTs from Game 2 and all of Game 3 not letting in a goal? Almost 2 games worth of a shutout and his play is trending upward.

.938 save% in these Finals.  Guy saved his best for last.

Without the Blackhawks series he has a .919% for the playoffs.

If his team loses against the Blackhawks, he's probably hearing some criticism...he was at .906 thru the first three rounds (now up to .910).  All he has to do is play well one more game (or even just good enough) and no one will say much of anything about his overall playoff run. 

Meh, "teams of destiny" don't always make it easy on themselves.  Hell, the '86 Mets were a "team of destiny", with a lot of compelling individual stories, but their playoff run was rough...it took them six games and a marathon extra-inning match in Game 6 just to get past Houston (and Mike Scott was making them crazy...they would've faced him again in Game 7 if they hadn't won Game 6), and of course, against Boston they lost the first two games and were down 3 games to 2, and were two runs down in Game 6 and one strike away from losing the World Series, when Boston basically imploded, first allowing the game to be tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch, then of course, Bill Buckner's error allowing the winning run to score.  The Mets then fell behind 3-0 in Game 7 before storming back to win. 

Sometimes teams of destiny are the ones that keep overcoming obstacles to win. 

Mike Scott was an F'n cheating traitor , LOL   Sid! Sid Sid!

Mike Scott was an F'n cheating traitor , LOL   Sid! Sid Sid!

Not like no one else has ever cheated in baseball, lol. 

The closest he's ever come to a full admission:

They can believe whatever they want to believe. Every ball that hits the ground has something on it. … I’ve thrown balls that were scuffed but I haven’t scuffed every ball that I’ve thrown.

Someone else asked him about it and if he would ever go into detail about what led to his sudden dominance, to which he said something along the lines of "When I write my book."  When that someone asked when he was planning on writing the book, Scott replied "I'm not." 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Is it too much to ask for another shutout so we don't have to hear that stupid goal song again this season...?

I'm tempting fate, but I think it would be better if the Rangers are down by a lot with a few minutes to go and score a meaningless goal, with the goal song going on with the remaining fans not saying anything.