Martin Brodeur Will Test Free Agency: ESPN

Devil Dan 56

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/11044435/martin-brodeur-test-free-agent-market

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam here, but it was nice seeing some more rational and realistic quotes out of Brodeur now that the season has ended. Hopefully this paves the way to an easy Cory extension.

"I've had a lot of good conversations with the Devils, but I'm not inclined at going back at this point," said Brodeur, whose contract expires June 30. "I just feel that with Schneids (goalie Cory Schneider) the organization has to move on. Me being around might be tough a little bit for them. I don't completely put it out of the question (returning to New Jersey), but I don't want to mess up the cards for the Devils.

"At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where I go next, I'm always going to be a Devil. I'm always going to come back to the organization. But I want to play one more year. So I'll see what's out there."

I was hopeful that Marty would take the high road, I have been lucky enough to watch this organization from the first puck drop here in NJ and watching all our star players.

Good Times!!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I hope he gets a gig with another team and proves us all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been saying that since day one. Checking twitter and comments from a few online sites, Brodeur is perceived as the new Favre. It's all jokes.

Sam Page @samtpage 48m

Martin Brodeur free agency is Stage I of the McDavid sweepstakes. No other goalie will demand 50 starts with an .880 SV%. Great tank piece.

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney 2h

Love you, Marty, but geez — go away. RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Martin Brodeur ready to test free-agent market, http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11044435/martin-brodeur-test-free-agent-market 

William Hirsch @WHirschSports 15m

Martin Brodeur needs to retire. Don't ruin your legacy bro. Call it quits while people respect you

I would love for Marty to be great, but it would be ridiculous to think that he might. He even said that this year proved to him that he could be a good goalie. He was atrocious this season, and it's only going to get harder when he goes on a team that isn't so good defensively. Be a backup in Toronto? Even with his save percentage staying the same, he'd have a GAA in the mid-to-late 3s on that team.

We're talking about a 42-year-old goalie. If any GM other than Lou gets fooled into taking a goalie at that age...he deserves to get crucified. There has never been a goalie in NHL play somewhat decently at 42. Very few have made it there or crazy enough to attempt to, so credit Marty for that.

Having said all that, it be incredible if he still put together 25 solid backup games to have a great end to his career. Then again, he might just want to come back and do it all again if he does alright this season.

Edited by devilsrule33

it was also written in Puck Daddy that Schneider won't sign an extension unless he gets 60 games.  i'd give him 70 just so he knows he's the man.

I love Marty with all my heart, but i really wish he'd retire.  I think, ultimately, he will when he sees how little interest there is for him.

looks like the ugliest part of the "Marty is done as a Devil" saga is over...it got ugly at times during the season but now everybody see's the light

Marty still wants to play..fine

Marty knows Schneids is the Devils goalie now...cool

he'll always be a Devil and come back to the organization one day...nice

the Devils lost Parise, Kovi, now Marty, and we got new solid ownership...time for Lou to build some championship caliber teams...get going Lou, I'm excited about our future

Will always be a Devil, yes, but perhaps with a little tarnish. Would have been best if he just got over himself and retired already. He was great in his day, but that day is passed. Pass on what you know to the next generation and bow out gracefully

• Like 1

Will always be a Devil, yes, but perhaps with a little tarnish. Would have been best if he just got over himself and retired already. He was great in his day, but that day is passed. Pass on what you know to the next generation and bow out gracefully

he might not get a new contract from another team this summer and retire as a Devil..and only a Devil

I agree.....He has gone this far as a Devil and to wear any other teams sweater is just bullsh!t. Go out already Marty the time is now,

Season got ugly, but now that he's had time to think, he was as classy as any of us could have hoped. Glad he said that. No matter what, he'll always be a Devil. Thanks for everything.

I could read a list of chapter and verse of athletes who hung around too long, went to another team instead of the one they were known for but it doesn't really ruin their legacy. 5 years from now (probably sooner as its not a Favre situation... yet) it will be forgiven and forgotten

i dont think it would be a big deal if he didnt retire and decided to play another year some where else if he can find it.. would sting a little bit to see him in a different jersey but i certainly dont think devils fans would dis-own him so to say how they seem to do with a lot of other players that choose to leave

i dont think it would be a big deal if he didnt retire and decided to play another year some where else if he can find it.. would sting a little bit to see him in a different jersey but i certainly dont think devils fans would dis-own him so to say how they seem to do with a lot of other players that choose to leave

He's not exactly "choosing to leave" if they don't offer him a contract. I'd love him to retire a Devil , but if he wants to play and they don't want to sign him, his hand has been forced.

It'll be much more tolerable than if they traded him, IMHO.

Edited by mfitz804

Been saying that since day one. Checking twitter and comments from a few online sites, Brodeur is perceived as the new Favre. It's all jokes.

This is so dumb. How is Marty perceived as the "new Favre" and why would we perpetuate that here? When has Marty ever said he was retiring and then unretired? ZERO times, that's how many. When has Marty ever held a press conference saying he is calling it quits, while crying and moaning? ZERO times, that's how many. The truth is that some fans have decided themselves that he was retiring and so now that he is simply continuing to play (which there is nothing wrong with) these fans have decided that is equivalent to changing his mind. Of all the accusations thrown out at Marty this year, this must be the most vapid, unsubstantiated and bizarre.

Marty has never made any commitment to leaving the sport - as a matter of fact he has always been pretty clear that he will continue playing. But perhaps he should apologize to you all because he wants to continue his life passion and you disagree that he should be able to. Maybe, he should just say to himself, "You know what, the haters are right and I should stop listening to my gut." Though I am pretty sure the Devils would have 3 less Stanley Cups right now if Marty was that kind of guy.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2