Martin Brodeur Will Test Free Agency: ESPN

Devil Dan 56

His actions are not exactly like Bretts, with Brett is was retire/unretired...and people got sick of that routine. With Brodeur it's the never-ending delusional passive-aggressive behavior. And everybody got sick of him running his mouth and then looking like a washed up goalie when he got between the pipes. It's getting tiresome. We also got tired of Brodeur pondering "Hey should I go to Ottawa or Minnesota" out loud during the season when we were in a playoff race...and here's the worst goalie in hockey talking about where he's going to play next year. Then on another occasion he'd say Cory is the man, then a secret meeting where Brodeur starts playing more, then he'd say Cory is the man. Brodeur has been an evasive sniper all season. Too much Brodeur drama

What people are saying is that it's best for his legacy to just hang it up now and stop embarrassing himself. He doesn't HAVE TO do this. If he can squeeze some more NHL paychecks out of this and doesn't mind looking like a fool. More power to him. I for one hope he signs within the division or conference. Easy points for the Devils whenever we face him

I'm hoping this does end up a Favre situation with Schneider playing the part of Aaron Rodgers

Edited by '7'

Brodeur's manipulation of the press is also Favre-like.  'I don't want a trade - Lou would have to come talk to me' repeated ad nauseam, and here he is talking about teams he wished he could've been helping.  He very badly wanted a trade last year, he just couldn't come out and say it.  He very badly does not want to play for NJ next year.  But he doesn't rule it out.  And the saddest part is that NJ wants him back.  

Look, Favre established the gold standard of uncertainty wrt retirement.  That's not what everyone's on about re: Brodeur and Favre.  The reason they are making the comparison because it is a great player who does not understand that he is finished, and the NHL might not recognize that either.

Brodeur's manipulation of the press is also Favre-like.  'I don't want a trade - Lou would have to come talk to me' repeated ad nauseam, and here he is talking about teams he wished he could've been helping.  He very badly wanted a trade last year, he just couldn't come out and say it.  He very badly does not want to play for NJ next year.  But he doesn't rule it out.  And the saddest part is that NJ wants him back.  

Look, Favre established the gold standard of uncertainty wrt retirement.  That's not what everyone's on about re: Brodeur and Favre.  The reason they are making the comparison because it is a great player who does not understand that he is finished, and the NHL might not recognize that either.

I can appreciate your point, but by your definition of 'Favre-like' there are a whole lot of Favres out there. This is all a reach. There is no point in comparing Marty to the Favre situation. All I see is you guys trying to figure out how you can maybe, sort of, kinda connect him to Favre. What you say Marty did with the media might be true, but it is not Favre-like. Period. As far as there being a connection between players who are done but can't realize it, well the Favre-Packers situation was actually a pretty difficult one. Favre was still good (see: Minnesota VIkings) but the Packers had another future HOFer on the bench. The Minnesota thing was bad, but only because he signed with a huge rival of the Pack. If Marty signs with the Rangers or Flyers I'll will concede a bit on this point.

What people are saying is that it's best for his legacy to just hang it up now and stop embarrassing himself. He doesn't HAVE TO do this. If he can squeeze some more NHL paychecks out of this and doesn't mind looking like a fool. More power to him. I for one hope he signs within the division or conference. Easy points for the Devils whenever we face him

Again, I can't really disagree with this. It just has nothing to do with Favre. I don't like how Marty has handled all this, I just don't expect him to give up and retire because I feel that way.

• Like 1

Favre had alternated being very good with being not very good at the end of his career.  There were absolutely no guarantees that when he went to Minnesota that he'd be any good.

The Favre comparison also extends to the fact that the media is way more interested in this story than a knowledgeable hockey fan - the knowing hockey fan recognizes that Brodeur is not going to help a team win anything without a lot of luck or a sudden career resurgence at 42.  

I can appreciate your point, but by your definition of 'Favre-like' there are a whole lot of Favres out there. This is all a reach. There is no point in comparing Marty to the Favre situation. All I see is you guys trying to figure out how you can maybe, sort of, kinda connect him to Favre. What you say Marty did with the media might be true, but it is not Favre-like. Period. As far as there being a connection between players who are done but can't realize it, well the Favre-Packers situation was actually a pretty difficult one. Favre was still good (see: Minnesota VIkings) but the Packers had another future HOFer on the bench. The Minnesota thing was bad, but only because he signed with a huge rival of the Pack. If Marty signs with the Rangers or Flyers I'll will concede a bit on this point.

Dont forget Favre had a lousy season with the Jets before he had a good season with the Vikes

Favre had alternated being very good with being not very good at the end of his career.  There were absolutely no guarantees that when he went to Minnesota that he'd be any good.

The Favre comparison also extends to the fact that the media is way more interested in this story than a knowledgeable hockey fan - the knowing hockey fan recognizes that Brodeur is not going to help a team win anything without a lot of luck or a sudden career resurgence at 42.  

To your first point, Favre was good until his very last year. He had some down years throughout his career as any player does and the 2008 Jets just plain sucked. The no guarantees thing is true but is completely besides the point at hand anyway.

To your second point, yes any reasonable fan knows that Marty is backup material (if that) but it's not really right to draw comparisons based on things the media is doing and not Marty. This is another reach to make a connection. It was very clear what Favre did at the end that turned him into a running joke. The parallels to Marty are just not there.

Dont forget Favre had a lousy season with the Jets before he had a good season with the Vikes

That is beside the point also. If Marty goes to another team and has a Favre-like Vikings season, we will all look like idiots (including myself). That won't happen.

This is so dumb. How is Marty perceived as the "new Favre" and why would we perpetuate that here? When has Marty ever said he was retiring and then unretired? ZERO times, that's how many. When has Marty ever held a press conference saying he is calling it quits, while crying and moaning? ZERO times, that's how many. The truth is that some fans have decided themselves that he was retiring and so now that he is simply continuing to play (which there is nothing wrong with) these fans have decided that is equivalent to changing his mind. Of all the accusations thrown out at Marty this year, this must be the most vapid, unsubstantiated and bizarre.

Marty has never made any commitment to leaving the sport - as a matter of fact he has always been pretty clear that he will continue playing. But perhaps he should apologize to you all because he wants to continue his life passion and you disagree that he should be able to. Maybe, he should just say to himself, "You know what, the haters are right and I should stop listening to my gut." Though I am pretty sure the Devils would have 3 less Stanley Cups right now if Marty was that kind of guy.

Glad I could say something that got you back here posting. By the way, the quote was a litle unfair since the "been saying this day one" had nothing to do with Favre, but the comment about hoping Brodeur proves everyone wrong. I didn't perpetuate that here.

Anyway, as other have said throughout the season and in this thread, there is a connection. It involves a really good goalie or QB stuck waiting to be a starter. Cory is saying all the right things as Rodgers was at the time.

There is also a connection because you have two athletes that won't stop talking to the media about it. Now it isn't that clear to Brodeur what he does when he talks to the media like it was with Favre. Endless loop of SportsCenter, NFL Network, Yahoo, etc...even if you tried to avoid the media, Favre knew what he was creating. It isn't that easy with Brodeur, but he should know enough when he gives an interview, it's not just one paper or person. Those quotes will be spread everywhere and those same quotes will be shown on the main hockey sites and twitter feeds. And many people are tired of reading about a goalie that isn't good anymore.

He said before the season that he wasn't going to talk about his future or retirement, so don't ask him questions about it, yet he brought it up dozens and dozens of times. Tri had a good summary earlier of not wanting a trade or asking for a trade, and only if Lou asked when he wanted a trade and talked about where his kids wanted him to go which created tons of discussions for those organizations.

And yes it isn't all on him, the media runs with a story about Brodeur testing free agency and thinking it's this massive story, when a smart hockey fan would go, that makes sense since the Devils have a top 5 goalie over the last 5 years, and Brodeur has been one of the worst. Brodeur is saying something innocent and obvious, but the media is eating up any Brodeur stories. The main difference is unlike Favre, Brodeur probably has no good years left. So in a different way, the NHL fan doesn't want to hear about it. They are laughing or rolling their eyes when he says he wants to play for a great team or more games than this season. They are hoping that it isn't their team that signs him.

And seriously Neboors just stop focusing on sh!t I write and changing what I am saying. Don't say "you all" about who he should apologize too. I am not asking for Brodeur retire. I'm not trying to give him career advice. I was simply pointing out what many people on twitter are thinking about a legend. He loves hockey and should do it as long as he wants if people are willing to pay him to do it. But, I'd also hate if he becomes the butt end of every joke (it has been going on for the past year) or seriously embarrasses him on another team next year. I am sure no one here wants to see it. You conveniently ignore all the times I have said that I am very exciting to root for him next season on another team and prove he can still play.

Edited by devilsrule33

Glad I could say something that got you back here posting. By the way, the quote was a litle unfair since the "been saying this day one" had nothing to do with Favre, but the comment about hoping Brodeur proves everyone wrong. I didn't perpetuate that here.

Anyway, as other have said throughout the season and in this thread, there is a connection. It involves a really good goalie or QB stuck waiting to be a starter. Cory is saying all the right things as Rodgers was at the time.

There is also a connection because you have two athletes that won't stop talking to the media about it. Now it isn't that clear to Brodeur what he does when he talks to the media like it was with Favre. Endless loop of SportsCenter, NFL Network, Yahoo, etc...even if you tried to avoid the media, Favre knew what he was creating. It isn't that easy with Brodeur, but he should know enough when he gives an interview, it's not just one paper or person. Those quotes will be spread everywhere and those same quotes will be shown on the main hockey sites and twitter feeds. And many people are tired of reading about a goalie that isn't good anymore.

He said before the season that he wasn't going to talk about his future or retirement, so don't ask him questions about it, yet he brought it up dozens and dozens of times. Tri had a good summary earlier of not wanting a trade or asking for a trade, and only if Lou asked when he wanted a trade and talked about where his kids wanted him to go which created tons of discussions for those organizations.

And yes it isn't all on him, the media runs with a story about Brodeur testing free agency and thinking it's this massive story, when a smart hockey fan would go, that makes sense since the Devils have a top 5 goalie over the last 5 years, and Brodeur has been one of the worst. Brodeur is saying something innocent and obvious, but the media is eating up any Brodeur stories. The main difference is unlike Favre, Brodeur probably has no good years left. So in a different way, the NHL fan doesn't want to hear about it. They are laughing or rolling their eyes when he says he wants to play for a great team or more games than this season. They are hoping that it isn't their team that signs him.

And seriously Neboors just stop focusing on sh!t I write and changing what I am saying. Don't say "you all" about who he should apologize too. I am not asking for Brodeur retire. I'm not trying to give him career advice. I was simply pointing out what many people on twitter are thinking about a legend. He loves hockey and should do it as long as he wants if people are willing to pay him to do it. But, I'd also hate if he becomes the butt end of every joke (it has been going on for the past year) or seriously embarrasses him on another team next year. I am sure no one here wants to see it. You conveniently ignore all the times I have said that I am very exciting to root for him next season on another team and prove he can still play.

You need to stop making this personal. It is not about you, I posted because I disagreed with what you said, I specifically made it clear that I was addressing more than just you. You can rant off subject all you want, but you are wrong about the Favre comparison. Please get over whatever one-sided feud you are having with me, because I have nothing against you and I think you're a great poster (though, you are continually taunting me).

Edited by Neb00rs

To your first point, Favre was good until his very last year. He had some down years throughout his career as any player does and the 2008 Jets just plain sucked. The no guarantees thing is true but is completely besides the point at hand anyway.

To your second point, yes any reasonable fan knows that Marty is backup material (if that) but it's not really right to draw comparisons based on things the media is doing and not Marty. This is another reach to make a connection. It was very clear what Favre did at the end that turned him into a running joke. The parallels to Marty are just not there.

That is beside the point also. If Marty goes to another team and has a Favre-like Vikings season, we will all look like idiots (including myself). That won't happen.

Never say never.  Think Dwayne Roloson.  I will admit that it did come back and bite the Lightning in the ass the next season.  It wouldn't be the first time an aging, old goalie had a great year post 40 years old.  I will also admit that Dwayne Roloson was never a bonafide, sure thing starter.  He DID however, take the Lightning to a Conference final at 41 in 2011. 

It looks like there's a pretty good chance I'm going to see the end result that I was hoping for:

Schneider signs a long-term extension to stick around.

Brodeur won't be here next season.

Best thing for everyone all-around. 

Only thing that's sad is that Marty still thinks there's a contender out there interested in the services of a 42-year-old high-mileage goalie who has been mostly bad the past two seasons, and will more often put up extended .880ish runs than anything else.  Like others have said, if he finds a team willing to take a shot at him, good for him, but I can definitely see Marty turning in a Kiprusoff-type final season...which will painful to watch for everyone involved.

I'm curious if Kinkaid gets a legit shot to be the 2014-15 backup...if he doesn't work out, Lou can always trade for a more established backup later.

It looks like there's a pretty good chance I'm going to see the end result that I was hoping for:

Only thing that's sad is that Marty still thinks there's a contender out there interested in the services of a 42-year-old high-mileage goalie who has been mostly bad the past two seasons, and will more often put up extended .880ish runs than anything else.  Like others have said, if he finds a team willing to take a shot at him, good for him, but I can definitely see Marty turning in a Kiprusoff-type final season...which will painful to watch for everyone involved.

I'm curious if Kinkaid gets a legit shot to be the 2014-15 backup...if he doesn't work out, Lou can always trade for a more established backup later.

I'd like to see both Kinkaid and Wedge possibly see some time in the NHL.  Why not?  A few games of experience can't hurt either of them.  Kinkaid had already seen a little bit of action last season, I'm pumped to see what they can do and hopefully I can. 

Never say never.  Think Dwayne Roloson.  I will admit that it did come back and bite the Lightning in the ass the next season.  It wouldn't be the first time an aging, old goalie had a great year post 40 years old.  I will also admit that Dwayne Roloson was never a bonafide, sure thing starter.  He DID however, take the Lightning to a Conference final at 41 in 2011. 

It just really can't happen. Favre was going to Minny to be the starter. Marty won't be the starting goaltender just about anywhere. If he finds a team to let him start or split, it certainly is not going to be a team that's as good as those Vikings were - with the equivalent of Adrian Peterson, Sydney Rice, Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Percy Harvin, etc...

To your first point - agreed, it looks like there isn't much to worry about there. Both sides seem committed to a long-term deal that makes Cory the full-time starter.

As for Kinkaid, well I am just not into the whole Wedgewood/Kinkaid thing. There are enough solid backups who are UFA this year, that we should be choosing from. I could make the argument that backups are better now than they have ever been before; a lot of them could probably be starters.

i still think there is a good chance that he ends up back here as a back up

There is a chance. Not a good one...but a chance. I think Brodeur is looking at coming back here as an absolute last resort. But that position might be filled by the time he's ready to crawl back and be a 15 game backup goalie

I also feel Brodeur is coming back. Too much history between he and Lou. I see him playing 20-25, 30 games if he does. Schneider will have to suck it up for one more season

Just the attitude we should show our future franchise goalie. Ah, just suck it up Cory even though we desperately need you to sign so the team won't be a total mess for YEARS down the line. Not sure if serious.

Just the attitude we should show our future franchise goalie. Ah, just suck it up Cory even though we desperately need you to sign so the team won't be a total mess for YEARS down the line. Not sure if serious.

Was being sarcastic. But I do feel he's coming back for one more season as a backup. Where else would he wind up? No one will sign him as their starter. Just by default i see Marty returning. And if that happens, he'll play about 20-25 games. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his bags and leave so unceremoniously. Even despite the "this team is ok being medicocre" comments that Marty dished out at the end of the season, and which Lou flatly rejected. Too much history between these two. We'll see...

Edited by slasher72

As for Kinkaid, well I am just not into the whole Wedgewood/Kinkaid thing. There are enough solid backups who are UFA this year, that we should be choosing from. I could make the argument that backups are better now than they have ever been before; a lot of them could probably be starters.

I agree. I'm not opposed to Kinkaid getting a shot, but I'd rather go with a proven NHL backup. Kinkaid just had his best season at age 24 and still ended up being AHL league average (great 1st half, mediocre 2nd half). Wedgewood hasn't had a good pro season yet in either the ECHL or AHL and I really doubt he turns into a NHL backup in the future now. Clermont has been bad in the ECHL for a bit now so the Devils G depth is really lacking quality. I think it'd be smart to get an actual NHL quality backup.

Was being sarcastic. But I do feel he's coming back for one more season as a backup. Where else would he wind up? No one will sign him as their starter. Just by default i see Marty returning. And if that happens, he'll play about 20-25 games. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see Lou telling Marty to pack his bags and leave so unceremoniously. Even despite the "this team is ok being medicocre" comments that Marty dished out at the end of the season, and which Lou flatly rejected. Too much history between these two. We'll see...

Fair enough. I couldn't quite tell honestly and I've seen enough people that have this sentiment of "Cory can wait for Marty" that I had to say something because I think it's just insane. I guess it shows how many people see Marty AS the Devils and can't separate the two, especially the casual fans. I'm personally hoping Marty doesn't come back. Not because I wouldn't love to see him finish here, but because I don't trust our coach to not pump him up with comments about having two starters and blah blah. That shadow hovering over Cory wouldn't be good for anyone.