So Apparently The Rumor Is Kovy Could Be Coming Back

TheMazz

it's a two way street though. If they block the devils, sometime in the future the devils may block them from acquiring, or reacquiring a player overseas that they like.

I don't think this would be a consideration, it's not like this happens often enough that teams would worry about someone else blocking them when they're in this situation.

NOOOOOO! You're disillusioned if you want Kovy back.  Kovalchuk is a quitter.  Kovy is way more at fault than Zach Parise.  As an NHL GM, you can't lock a player like that down for so many years and then they walk out on you.  Kovalchuk coming back is the equivalent of old girlfriend who cheated on you, trying to get back together with you after she already went and banged all your friends.  She could be an 11 in hotness.  NO THANKS.  It's not about pride, it's not even about the Devils fandom at this point.  It's about principle. 

He's not exactly tearing up the KHL, he was invisible during the Olympics, and on top of his back problems that he had while he was here, he's coming off of a season with a knee injury.  If he wanted to be here, he would have never left. Bottom line.

Edited by RizzMB30

NOOOOOO! You're disillusioned if you want Kovy back.  Kovalchuk is a quitter.  Kovy is way more at fault.  As an NHL GM, you can't lock a player like that down for so many years and then they walk out on you.  Kovalchuk coming back is the equivalent of old girlfriend who cheated on you, trying to get back together with you after she already went and banged all your friends.  NO THANKS.  It's not about pride, it's not even about the Devils fandom at this point.  It's about principle. 

This is the least valid reason to not want Kovalchuk back.  As a GM, you want to make your team better for the upcoming season.  It doesn't really matter what happened in the past, and if we can get him back at a more manageable contract than before, then the Devils come out bigtime winners at the end of the day.

I wonder if Bettman could overrule owners saying no to Kovy coming back "for the betterment of the league" or some crap like that. This could be a HUGE nail in the coffin of the NHL-KHL dilemma. Hell, is take him for the shoot out alone.

The KHL isn't really a threat aside from a few Russians and lower-level European guys.  Bettman saying something like that would destroy credibility and do more harm than good.

Just to play out this hypothetical, I wouldn't take Kovy back on more than a 3 year deal.  He really seems like he's slowed down and the back isn't going to get any better

No, we'd be idiots to welcome him back because he's not the Kovy of old.  When he's not scoring nearly 40 goals per season, the warts in his game (which he did work on while he was here, with some success) will become that much more apparent.

Tri has posted in great detail why he's really not that good...even in 2011-12, when we'd all agree that he was good, he needed a hell of a lot of minutes to get his numbers.  I think if he came back, there would be a lot of disappointment...and as we've seen in the past, Kovy is not exactly thick-skinned.  I could see him struggling for 40-50 games (think 12 goals and a lot of defensive gaffes), then saying "the hell with this!"

You guys with your super micro stats should look at the big picture

• Like 1

This is the least valid reason to not want Kovalchuk back.  As a GM, you want to make your team better for the upcoming season.  It doesn't really matter what happened in the past, and if we can get him back at a more manageable contract than before, then the Devils come out bigtime winners at the end of the day.

You're wrong and living in the past if you think Kovalchuk is going to come back and make this team a contender.  Yeah, he'll definitely help put some more goals in the net, I agree, but the past does matter because Kovalchuk's credibility is totally shot, what team is going to vote yes to Kovalchuk returning to the NHL when he has already 'retired' and then peaced out at the first sign of A) He team starting to falter or B) The threat of another lockout.  The past definitely matters. 

IF he comes back great because even at 75 percent he's still better then:

Clowe, Carter, Gionta, Ruutu, Bernier, Tedenby, Josefson, Sestito, Sislo, Whitney and Zubrus at scoring points

And I'm being conservative with that list (or delusional that Brunner and Ryder will play to their offensive best this coming season.)

If not well I'm not getting my hopes up because I don't see how it happens

Edited by roomtemp

You're wrong and living in the past if you think Kovalchuk is going to come back and make this team a contender.  Yeah, he'll definitely help put some more goals in the net, I agree, but the past does matter because Kovalchuk's credibility is totally shot, what team is going to vote yes to Kovalchuk returning to the NHL when he has already 'retired' and then peaced out at the first sign of A) He team starting to falter or B) The threat of another lockout.  The past definitely matters. 

Alright if you think Kovalchuk won't be an effective player at least that is a real reason for not wanting him on the team.  It is debatable but at least it's not, "I don't want him back because he left."

Don't lump me in with the "micro stats are the be-all end-all" crowd.  I've never been like that.

I don't want him back because I don't think he's going to be terribly good or helpful here.  He wasn't terribly good in the NHL in his final Devils season, and he wasn't terribly good in the KHL last season.  He's not getting any younger.

you cant paint it anyway you want

I want this team in the playoffs...not golfing

Right, because having Kovy on your team guarantees a playoff berth.  Those playoffs runs Kovy led the Devils to in 2011 and 2013 were awesome.  As was the one (ONE) in Atlanta where they got swept. 

Not saying the above were 100% on Kovy, but I don't see how an aging and declining Kovy gets this team over the hump.   

Don't lump me in with the "micro stats are the be-all end-all" crowd.  I've never been like that.

I don't want him back because I don't think he's going to be terribly good or helpful here.  He wasn't terribly good in the NHL in his final Devils season, and he wasn't terribly good in the KHL last season.  He's not getting any younger.

Right, because having Kovy on your team guarantees a playoff berth.  Those playoffs runs Kovy led the Devils to in 2011 and 2013 were awesome.  As was the one (ONE) in Atlanta where they got swept. 

Not saying the above were 100% on Kovy, but I don't see how an aging and declining Kovy gets this team over the hump.   

I'm not gonna argue with you,it's obvious you don't like Kovi, but one thing you guys are missing is the availability of players 

we don't have a lot to offer in a trade, we don't have a stacked minor league system (forwards), we don't draw free agent like the big market teams

how do you expect Lou to make this team better?

one player cant do it all, but he can help in our weak areas

Find me one team where all the forwards have excellent stats.....it's never gonna happen

'The big picture' is that Kovalchuk did not improve the team at all 5 on 5 and perhaps hurt it.  A dynamo shorthanded and a help 5 on 4 (although who knows how much of it he gave back through short-handed goals).  Shootouts were a plus though again he was terrible at them before he came to NJ.  It's hard to imagine him as a 2 wins/year player.

I'm not gonna argue with you,it's obvious you don't like Kovi, but one thing you guys are missing is the availability of players 

we don't have a lot to offer in a trade, we don't have a stacked minor league system (forwards), we don't draw free agent like the big market teams

Find me one team where all the forwards have excellent stats.....it's never gonna happen

And then your argument is availability of players and then you think Kovalchuk is an option? 

'The big picture' is that Kovalchuk did not improve the team at all 5 on 5 and perhaps hurt it.  A dynamo shorthanded and a help 5 on 4 (although who knows how much of it he gave back through short-handed goals).  Shootouts were a plus though again he was terrible at them before he came to NJ.  It's hard to imagine him as a 2 wins/year player.

By virtue of the shootout alone, he probably would have gotten the team at least an additional three points.  Of course that doesn't justify the contract he had, and it wouldn't justify anything more in AAV than what Jagr had last year. 

So far as his KHL production, it seems like players do see a decline in scoring as compared to the NHL.  That was definitely the case with Jagr.  There's Kovy's health, which none of us are really in the position to have any definite answers on. 

Guess you didn't read any of my posts when Kovy left.  I said I didn't really hold his choosing to leave against him, that if he wasn't happy here and his heart truly wasn't into being a Devil or being in America for that matter, I wasn't going to judge him for it, or have any hard feelings.  I'd rather he not be here than be completely miserable being a Devil, which apparently he would've been at that time had he stayed. 

If I truly thought that Kovy could help this team (because that's all I really care about...can he make the Devils better?), then I'd be all for it (and admittedly even discussing this is probably pointless), though nervous (see below).   But I don't think he does.  I've already stated why.  He had a pretty disappointing year in a lesser league last season, after a not-so-great season in the NHL in 2013.    

You don't really have any proof that he's going to be that much of a help here, outside of blind hope...you're coming off like his coming here will lead to an automatic playoff berth, and him being productive. Like I've said, I don't have anything against Kovy personally, but if any of this crap is true, he wanted to go back home, even left a lot of money on the table because he wanted to go home that badly (though he signed for nice money over there, to play in a lot less games per season), but now he wants to come back and leave SKA behind?  Sorry, I'd be a little nervous about a guy prone to that kind of flip-flopping, even if was only for a one-year or two-year deal...if Kovy is about halfway through this season and is clearly having a rough time, do you put it past him to say "Screw this"?  Is it really that much of a stretch to think he might not honor yet another deal, after bailing on two long-term contracts?    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Here's another tweet:

I also said Jose Reyes would be signing with Miami 2 weeks before it happened. YES, the DEVILS are exploring a Kovalchuk re-union #NJDEVILS

He's starting to sound like a fake insider, bragging about a fairly obvious prediction, and now hedging that Devils are "exploring".   Incarcerated Bob gets a ton of followers as well as WFAN appearances based on this crap, so Costa, who's something a publicity whore, might be dabbling into that territory also. 

At least it's something to talk about.