So Apparently The Rumor Is Kovy Could Be Coming Back

TheMazz

This is how these dumb rumors spread. This was started by that Dino Costa guy, who has a history of plagiarizing, PLUS he's looking for people to pay $75 a year to listen to his new show. So he throws some garbage out there, then 2 people in a media lounge discuss it, and one of them tweets it, and somehow that makes it seem MORE legit because that guy has a show, so if he hears the SAME rumor (even though it most likely just came from Costa's rumor), it must have some truth to it. Meanwhile, not one reputable source has mentioned it. (TG, McKenzie, etc)

The bolded is especially true.

A lot of these "insiders" seem to have shows nowadays and somehow that makes them legit.  Nevermind a lot of them are on the internet (which means anyone can do it) or on satellite radio where they have to fill 24 hours of programming so grab any warm body to speak during the off-hours.

Stored my Kovalchuk t shirt in the bottom of some stupid never used drawer. Pulled it out today to find a fabric softener sheet tucked inside. What does that tell me? He'll be back, and he'll be fresh.

Or that he's washed up.

I said it three days ago that this was most likely kovy just getting the pulse of the NHL and devils. Lou's not looking for a loophole but I'm sure he'd be willing to allow kovy back in 2015 at the right price, and I would too.

On the other hand if kovy does play in the khl this year then I'm sure we'll have these same rumors popping up every June for the next 5-6 years lol.

:lock:

Oh well, was fun while it lasted.

Number of people who bought into Dino the No-Talent Hack's big "scoop" and signed up to hear his take on it:

ZERO

• Like 1

I understand that it's likely never going to happen, but maybe this story about Kovy trying to come back to the NHL has more legs than we initially thought...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2014/06/16/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/KHL-Salary-Cap.aspx?

Apparently the KHL has lowered its salary cap from $40.4 million to $32 million for all teams and, more importantly, the cap will apply to all player's salaries as the exemption for guys like Kovy that jumped from the NHL to the KHL has been done away with.  Yes, I know that the KHL makes backroom deals and changes the rules like the wind, but if the league is truly beginning to realize that their model was unsustainable long term and are beginning to correct it by implementing strict salary rules, a team like SKA can't have 1 player take up more than 1/3 of its cap space if it wants to be competitve. 

I understand that it's likely never going to happen, but maybe this story about Kovy trying to come back to the NHL has more legs than we initially thought...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2014/06/16/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/KHL-Salary-Cap.aspx?

Apparently the KHL has lowered its salary cap from $40.4 million to $32 million for all teams and, more importantly, the cap will apply to all player's salaries as the exemption for guys like Kovy that jumped from the NHL to the KHL has been done away with.  Yes, I know that the KHL makes backroom deals and changes the rules like the wind, but if the league is truly beginning to realize that their model was unsustainable long term and are beginning to correct it by implementing strict salary rules, a team like SKA can't have 1 player take up more than 1/3 of its cap space if it wants to be competitve. 

Going over the cap, according to the article anyway, results in a 20 percent luxury tax.  The owner of SKA apparently treats the team like a toy, and in any event, a 20 percent luxury tax on a $40 -$50 million payroll wouldn't seem to be a huge deterrent. 

• Like 1

In order for Kovy to return without needing all 30 teams to give the approval he needs to sit out one year of pro hockey. At that time the only team that would need to approve his return would be the Devils. If I remember correctly Kovy had surgery on his knee from an injury he sustained in the olympics earlier in the spring so if he takes his time to rehab the injury and doesn't play any games the chances of him returning dramamtically increase.

In order for Kovy to return without needing all 30 teams to give the approval he needs to sit out one year of pro hockey. At that time the only team that would need to approve his return would be the Devils. If I remember correctly Kovy had surgery on his knee from an injury he sustained in the olympics earlier in the spring so if he takes his time to rehab the injury and doesn't play any games the chances of him returning dramamtically increase.

I'm curious, if "sitting out a year" means he sits out a KHL year, or an NHL year, or even a calendar year?...

Imagine Lou exercising a loophole on KHL's year/regular season being over (or the calendar year that Kovalchuk will have been out), and bringing on a fully rehab'd Kovalchuk in time for a playoff run (if there is one), with said deal not counting on the salary cap after the regular season per cap rules?

As Kovalchuk's "rights" are technically property of the New Jersey Devils, it would be similar to Nashville being able to sign Radulov in the Spring of 2012 in time for their playoff run. The loophole would be on the grounds that Kovalchuk would be practicing with the team on an "amateur tryout" basis and, as a player who's rights they own, signed at either the calendar year mark or close of KHL regular season in early March.

Someone who knows better than me, tell me if this is correct or not?! Seems like interpretation of "sitting out a year" by either calendar year or KHL year would be make the Devils' case.

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm curious, if "sitting out a year" means he sits out a KHL year, or an NHL year, or even a calendar year?...

Imagine Lou exercising a loophole on KHL's year/regular season being over (or the calendar year that Kovalchuk will have been out), and bringing on a fully rehab'd Kovalchuk in time for a playoff run (if there is one), with said deal not counting on the salary cap after the regular season per cap rules?

As Kovalchuk's "rights" are technically property of the New Jersey Devils, it would be similar to Nashville being able to sign Radulov in the Spring of 2012 in time for their playoff run. The loophole would be on the grounds that Kovalchuk would be practicing with the team on an "amateur tryout" basis and, as a player who's rights they own, signed at either the calendar year mark or close of KHL regular season in early March.

Someone who knows better than me, tell me if this is correct or not?! Seems like interpretation of "sitting out a year" by either calendar year or KHL year would be make the Devils' case.

The clause in the By-Laws says:  "A player whose name has been entered on the Voluntarily Retired List shall not be removed from that list within one calendar year of such entry or within one calendar year from his cessation of playing hockey for any team in any professional league in North America or on a professional or amateur team outside of North America, whichever is later, without the unanimous consent of all Member Clubs".

As I also noted, the ultimate interpretation is made by Bettman.  He could decide anything from one calendar year of just not playing any games for another league for whatever reason to one year of not being on the roster of any other professional team. 

The clause in the By-Laws says:  "A player whose name has been entered on the Voluntarily Retired List shall not be removed from that list within one calendar year of such entry or within one calendar year from his cessation of playing hockey for any team in any professional league in North America or on a professional or amateur team outside of North America, whichever is later, without the unanimous consent of all Member Clubs".

As I also noted, the ultimate interpretation is made by Bettman.  He could decide anything from one calendar year of just not playing any games for another league for whatever reason to one year of not being on the roster of any other professional team. 

Hmmm I see what you're saying. So, because Kovalchuk hasn't said he's "retiring from the KHL" yet, Bettman would have the argument that the "calendar year" hasn't started yet.

Edited by DJ Eco

Hmmm I see what you're saying. So, because Kovalchuk hasn't said he's "retiring from the KHL" yet, Bettman would have the argument that the "calendar year" hasn't started yet.

The By-Laws say that their ultimate interpretation is entirely in the Commissioner's hands.  The only recourse that the owners have would be to fire him. 

The By-Laws say that their ultimate interpretation is entirely in the Commissioner's hands.  The only recourse that the owners have would be to fire him.

Ok then, I'm fine with firing Bettman..... I don't care so much about Kovy, but if he gives a good excuse for dumping Bettman then I am wildly pro-Kovy!