A pet peeve about jersey numbers

roomtemp

Devils do the everyone has to wear a low number (notable exceptions like Jagr of course) some teams you can wear any high ass number you want. Both ways are fine as different situations for different gms and teams. But for the love of God can we not fetishize the numbers 66 and 99 like hockey fans and players do? Every other sport kids and even pros wear numbers of their heros as a tribute to their idol. LeBron wore 23 for example. But in the NHL if you dare wear 66 or if you could wear 99 if the NHL didn't retire it because they had to blow Gretzky extra hard you're seen as disrespectful or not humble enough. Its just really really obnoxious

I wish Lou would allow high numbers to be worn. Yes i know he allowed Gilmour, Mogilny, and Jagr to wear high numbers. Im talking just on average...

I think its boring to keep enforcing the low number policy. It'd be cool to see a 67, 71, 56, 62, 55 etc every once in a while on this team. I know he does it to build team unity, so no one seems special or different than the next guy. But it's a lame policy. Just like his policy of prohibiting third jerseys.

Edited by slasher72

Devils do the everyone has to wear a low number (notable exceptions like Jagr of course) some teams you can wear any high ass number you want. Both ways are fine as different situations for different gms and teams. But for the love of God can we not fetishize the numbers 66 and 99 like hockey fans and players do? Every other sport kids and even pros wear numbers of their heros as a tribute to their idol. LeBron wore 23 for example. But in the NHL if you dare wear 66 or if you could wear 99 if the NHL didn't retire it because they had to blow Gretzky extra hard you're seen as disrespectful or not humble enough. Its just really really obnoxious

Josh Ho Sang wears 66 for Windsor.  I dunno, I understand the retirement of 99, it's an unusual number and carries all sorts of expectations.  

So you are fine with Lou having his rule about no high numbers, but hate that they retired Gretzky's number and no one will touch Mario's? Seems a bit odd.

If someone wanted to wear Mario's number they could. Yes, about 100 cranky sports writers would complain and fans everywhere would object, but I like how 99 and 66 are untouchables. It's a great honour to the two greatest of all-time. What's wrong with showing respect to the league and not just the team? Some players are bigger than he teams they played for, but you could argue the same thing about someone coming to NJ wanting to wear 3, 4 or 27. Why should they have to respect those players? You don't just get drafted by a team, you get drafted into the NHL.

Your basketball example isn't the strongest since LeBron gave up 23 because after trying to honour Jordan, he thought it be best if no one ever wore the number again.

i dont understand the point in only being able to wear a low number at all?

Because that's how it's usually done when you're younger. You get 1-whatever number of players you have on the team and you get one of those numbers. That's how it was when I was a kid at least. Goalies always got to pick a regular goalie number though e.g. 30,31, etc.

So you are fine with Lou having his rule about no high numbers, but hate that they retired Gretzky's number and no one will touch Mario's? Seems a bit odd.

I think its because one is done by Lou because he thinks its what he needs to do to help create a winning team through culture. The other is done by the pressure of sports writers who talk about the code or the unwritten rules of baseball who think they're bigger then they really are.

I think its because one is done by Lou because he thinks its what he needs to do to help create a winning team through culture. The other is done by the pressure of sports writers who talk about the code or the unwritten rules of baseball who think they're bigger then they really are.

Didn't the NHL announce no one would ever wear 99 again during his final game. I don't think that was peer pressure.

As for Lou, if that's what he believes, he has broken the rules for Gilmour, Mogilny and Jagr. I doubt that hurt the culture. This obviously bugs you, but I think you are making too much of it and trying to find things that aren't there. No one seems to be bothered by 99 being retired by all teams and no one has ever shamed anyone for the Jersey number they picked. It's a special honour for one special person.

99 should've never been retired league wide. No one player is bigger than the game. Not even Gretzky.

I have a feeling no one would ever want to wear 99 anyway even if they had the chance.

Edited by devilsrule33

Didn't the NHL announce no one would ever wear 99 again during his final game. I don't think that was peer pressure.

As for Lou, if that's what he believes, he has broken the rules for Gilmour, Mogilny and Jagr. I doubt that hurt the culture. This obviously bugs you, but I think you are making too much of it and trying to find things that aren't there. No one seems to be bothered by 99 being retired by all teams and no one has ever shamed anyone for the Jersey number they picked. It's a special honour for one special person.

Looking at the crap TJ Brodie got for wearing 66 I think it would have happened with 99 so the point stands.

I wonder how far it will go. Will 68 for Jagr be taboo? What about 77 for Bourque? Maybe 87 for Crosby?

neither 99 or 66 are really retired - i just don't think any player would think to wear either number in the NHL out of respect to these guys.

99 is retired league wide. The league retired it when Gretzky retired. 

As for 66, i agree. It's a respect thing. No GM would probably allow it either. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I was aggravated when Lou let jagr wear 68. And I like the policy, just like I like the fact that we have one logo, and have worn 4 total jerseys in 30+ years. I love the culture of the team, and I'm worried about what's going to happen when lou finally leaves. I might just vomit the day the devils take the ice in black jerseys with a sleek, updated logo.

I was aggravated when Lou let jagr wear 68. And I like the policy, just like I like the fact that we have one logo, and have worn 4 total jerseys in 30+ years. I love the culture of the team, and I'm worried about what's going to happen when lou finally leaves. I might just vomit the day the devils take the ice in black jerseys with a sleek, updated logo.

I agree.  In the end, it really doesn't matter who is wearing what number, and I think that is part of Lou's philosophy.  As for the Brodie wearing number 66, give me a break.  You don't see people going into a frenzy when a goalie wears no. 33 or 30.   Players should be allowed to wear whatever number they want to wear, screw what everybody else thinks.  No-one should be denied such things because the fans feel a certain way.  I'd wear 66 just to get the Pen's fans panties in a bunch.  Maybe I'm just a kool-aid drinker but I like Lou's philosophy on numbers, it makes the Devils unique in my eyes.

I think it's nice that Lou allowed Jagr to wear 68 and it makes me wonder how Lou judges that. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Lou might have to relax on this rule eventually. Figure 26 will join 3,4,27 within the next 5 years and with the defacto ban on 1 and 13 for players, there are only 24 numbers under 30 to pick from. If 2 or 3 fall on the LTIR they won't have a choice.

Sure he could do something dull like only allowing numbers under 35 or 40, but i think the flood gates would open at that point.

Lou might have to relax on this rule eventually. Figure 26 will join 3,4,27 within the next 5 years and with the defacto ban on 1 and 13 for players, there are only 24 numbers under 30 to pick from. If 2 or 3 fall on the LTIR they won't have a choice.

Sure he could do something dull like only allowing numbers under 35 or 40, but i think the flood gates would open at that point.

Sometimes call ups or young players  especially defensemen get a number over 30 under 35. Like Merrill

I think the Devils will have a black third jersey within the next 5 years.  I am about 99% sure of that with these new owners.

I hope they do not do a black third jersey as I never cared for one myself, but I think at this point it is inevitable.

Why would you be aggravated by this? You thought Lou would allow Richer #44, Gilmour #93 and Mogilny #89, but not allow Jagr his #68 that commemorated the invasion of his country by the USSR? If you've made a name with your number Lou has never had an issue with it before, so it would actually have been a break in his own rules to have given Jaromir issues with it now.