Spezza requests trade

ZeroGravityFat

IAnaheim would seem like a possibility for Spezza,especially if Ottawa has soured on Craig Anderson. Anaheim has two first round draft picks, and a good young goalie in Andersen (I assume that Gibson has the starting job next year). Maybe they throw in someone like Etem, instead of one of those first rounders.

It's amazing that Anaheim isn't even at the cap floor and they have 19 starters under contract for next year, including two goalies. They're going to be good for a while. If Gibson is as good as people think, he's a plausible candidate to break Marty's win record. Starting young and on a very good team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never understood this. Why would the GM announce a player has requested a trade? He is cutting his legs out from under him. Unless he is trying to drum up interest, but I would think there are better ways than to go public.

agree, makes you wonder why the player is requesting he wants to be traded

I never understood this. Why would the GM announce a player has requested a trade? He is cutting his legs out from under him. Unless he is trying to drum up interest, but I would think there are better ways than to go public.

Maybe because if he has a NMC, it's all public knowledge anyway.  It prevents any fan backlash.  Now everybody's on the same page. 

It's a clusterfvck in Ottawa. I think the Sens know they can't re-sign Spezza anyway, so management is trying to make it seem like they badly want to keep Spezza, but the player wants to go.

Senators have a crazy broke owner who is going to have the team $20 million below the cap next season.

Edited by devilsrule33

Very simple - first of all, everyone already knows that Spezza is a lock to be traded, that's the worst kept secret in hockey.  Second, Murray accomplishes two things with this statement - 1:  he saves his management team from looking like guys that dealt Spezza against his will and 2:  he makes it clear to everyone, in case they didn't already know.  Spezza has an NMC, so he can dictate where he wants to go, but the other teams don't know his trade list, so Murray can try to use other teams' offers against other teams.

If Gibson is as good as people think, he's a plausible candidate to break Marty's win record. Starting young and on a very good team.

I agree with most of your post but cool the jets here a little- in league history there is only one guy who's even within 200 wins of Marty. I'm not saying it's impossible or will never be broken, but a lot, I repeat a lot, will have to break right for anyone to do it, even with the shootout inflated totals.

I agree with most of your post but cool the jets here a little- in league history there is only one guy who's even within 200 wins of Marty. I'm not saying it's impossible or will never be broken, but a lot, I repeat a lot, will have to break right for anyone to do it, even with the shootout inflated totals.

That's kind of the point. No established goalie will sniff the win record. Gibson is the most plausible candidate at this point because he is very young, supposedly very good, and he's starting off his career on a good team and could be the number 1 goalie on that team as a 22 year old.

That's basically the position Marty was in back in '94, and I can't think of another goalie who's been in that position since. And Gibson won't have to deal with ties for half of his career.

I've said it before, but I think MAF has a shot to break Roy's win total.  He's currently 29 and has 288 career wins.  (Marty was also 29 when he registered his 300th win).  As long as he stays healthy and plays reasonably well (he's been consistently good enough over the last four regular seasons), and Pittsburgh continues to be an upper-echelon team, he could be within striking distance of 551 towards the end of his career.  He'd have to do something only two other goalies to date have done to get there...play 1000+ games. 

If Luongo and Lundqvist stay healthy, they each have an outside shot to get to 500 wins.  So hard to tell what will happen with goalies once they hit their mid-30s.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I've said it before, but I think MAF has a shot to break Roy's win total. He's currently 29 and has 288 career wins. (Marty was also 29 when he registered his 300th win). As long as he stays healthy and plays reasonably well (he's been consistently good enough over the last four regular seasons), and Pittsburgh continues to be an upper-echelon team, he could be within striking distance of 551 towards the end of his career. He'd have to do something only two other goalies to date have done to get there...play 1000+ games.

If Luongo and Lundqvist stay healthy, they each have an outside shot to get to 500 wins. So hard to tell what will happen with goalies once they hit their mid-30s.[/quote

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you on MAF, but now you're assuming that he's going to be in Pittsburgh for the long term. Seems like they can't wait soon enough to get rid of him.

And for some reason, if anyone could fvck up what Pittsbugh has, it could be Rutherford.

That's kind of the point. No established goalie will sniff the win record. Gibson is the most plausible candidate at this point because he is very young, supposedly very good, and he's starting off his career on a good team and could be the number 1 goalie on that team as a 22 year old.

That's basically the position Marty was in back in '94, and I can't think of another goalie who's been in that position since. And Gibson won't have to deal with ties for half of his career.

fair enough. I guess the closest comparison would be lundquist- he started at ~24 on a fairly consistent playoff-caliber team while being a top 5 goalie league wide yet at 32 he isn't half way to Marty (while his entire career has been in the shootout era and he's started more games than league average).

It's an e5 sort of thing but it has been speculated that the Devils could be one of two teams beyond the initially reported 10 team list that Spezza won't go to.

http://nhl.si.com/2014/06/18/jason-spezza-no-trade-teams-list/

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Spezza’s no-movement clause allowed him to submit a list of 10 clubs to which he would not accept a trade. Dreger says that list includes the other six Canadian teams as well as the New York Islanders, Nashville Predators, Columbus Blue Jackets, and Florida Panthers. The identity of the two other American-based teams is unknown, but a player agent unaffiliated with Spezza’s camp speculated that the Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils were the most likely choices.