SI Interview with Mike "Doc" Emrick

ATLL765

Sports broadcasters call it "laying out." It's a term used to describe intentional silence from a play-by-play announcer. The best practitioners -- usually ones who are ego free on-air -- understand instinctively the importance and value of natural sound following an iconic moment. Mike Emrick, the voice of hockey for NBC and NBCSN, is one of those announcers.

Emrick stopped talking for 1 minute and 50 seconds on Friday night following his call of Alec Martinez's Stanley Cup-winning goal for the Los Angeles Kings. Viewers heard crowd horns blaring, Kings players' whooping it up on the ice, and the winning goal announcement from the public address announcer. What they did not hear was Emrick, which was perfect.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140615/mike-doc-emrick-calls-winning-kings-stanley-cup-goal/

Edit: Link should work now.

Edited by ATLL765

I love Doc, he's such a class-act; so smart, respectful, well-spoken, and in love with the game. He stands in such high contrast against some of the other NBC has on their payroll. 

Imagine an Eddie Olczyk type with free reign as the commentator (in Doc's position)? He'd be rambling on over the celebratory scenes about how close the Rangers came, and how much luck was a factor in the series, how good Lundqvist was throughout, and what's in store for the future of either team, etc.

It takes a special kinda commentator to just shut the F up and let the fans enjoy the moment.

And this is just another reason why Doc is the best there is and ever has been. Moments like that do all the talking on their own. I wish more announcers realized this.

Me too.  Love how one of the biggest goals in Devils franchise history is overtaken by Gary sh!thead Thorne screaming how it's not a good goal as the goal light didnt go off.

Me too.  Love how one of the biggest goals in Devils franchise history is overtaken by Gary sh!thead Thorne screaming how it's not a good goal as the goal light didnt go off.

Well, we talked about this a month or two back, but that's a totally different call than an OT winner for the Cup. Taking out the blown call, it wasn't the Finals, and there was still time left in the game.

I love Doc, and I think in all sports silence for a minute or two is great when a team wins a Championship, but I don't think doing that is exclusive to Doc. Pretty sure any lead sporting announcer right now in the US/Canada would do the same or has done the same.

Having said that, Doc is the best at what he does.

I love reading articles about Doc, although I gotta be honest -- it kind of irks me that hardly any of them acknowledge how long he was the Devils' play-by-play announcer.

And mildly surprisingly, in this article he only mentions the Devs' 1987 four-OT game versus the Sabres in his top all-time games that stand out the most for him -- although maybe it was the article writer who chose to leave out other Devils games that Doc might've mentioned.

Edited by 95Crash

Me too. Love how one of the biggest goals in Devils franchise history is overtaken by Gary sh!thead Thorne screaming how it's not a good goal as the goal light didnt go off.

Gary thorne was an absolutely phenomenal play by play guy. Every announcer messes up sometimes, even during big events. Just look at doc during Kane's cup winning goal, or when he started to yell score when mcdonagh clearly rang one off the iron. If you're looking for bad pbp guys to compare against doc, thorne is a bad example.

Speaking of silence by a broadcaster, there's no worse PBP guy than Michael Kay. I know its a different sport, but he is abysmal, I've turned on Yankee games multiple times and had to check if I hit the mute button by accident. Literally 30 second chunks of nothing. Then "and the pitch, outside ball 2..........................................................................................................the 2-1 low inside.........." He reminds me of Monte from major league. "Fly ball........caught"

I love Doc, and I think in all sports silence for a minute or two is great when a team wins a Championship, but I don't think doing that is exclusive to Doc. Pretty sure any lead sporting announcer right now in the US/Canada would do the same or has done the same.

Having said that, Doc is the best at what he does.

Bob Cole definitely did that in 2003...ten seconds, aw heck I'll get out of here!

Edited by NJDevs4978

Gary thorne was an absolutely phenomenal play by play guy. Every announcer messes up sometimes, even during big events. Just look at doc during Kane's cup winning goal, or when he started to yell score when mcdonagh clearly rang one off the iron. If you're looking for bad pbp guys to compare against doc, thorne is a bad example.

Speaking of silence by a broadcaster, there's no worse PBP guy than Michael Kay. I know its a different sport, but he is abysmal, I've turned on Yankee games multiple times and had to check if I hit the mute button by accident. Literally 30 second chunks of nothing. Then "and the pitch, outside ball 2..........................................................................................................the 2-1 low inside.........." He reminds me of Monte from major league. "Fly ball........caught"

Gary was terrible and his hate for the Devils showed through.  In the case of Doc's mistakes, he at least stops himself as soon as he realizes that he either 1) make a mistake or 2) didn't get a good look at it or unsure of the situation.  Once he realizes what happens he picks up where he left off and continues with the accurate announcing.

Gary on the other hand continues to shout about how the goal was not good even though you can tell he is unsure and his only recourse is that the goal light did not come on.  He chose to make his decision by this instead of either looking at the replays that quickly followed or the fact that you can see plain as can be even in standard def TV days that the puck went in.  Instead Gary continues to shout over and over again that it is not a good goal even while the players are celebrating and the Senators players are pretty much resigned to it.

Gary and Larry Brooks should really form their own club of bitter ex-Devils employees who will do anything to go out of their way to take shots at the Devils.

I think a lot of people hate Doc because he doesn't have that "radio voice." The same people would hate Harry Caray if he were announcing today.

There's going to be haters in any comments area. Doc is universally respected by all his peers and most fans of the game. His voice isn't for some, but there are many more Doc enthusiasts than detractors. 

Bob Cole definitely did that in 2003...ten seconds, aw heck I'll get out of here!

Whoever was in charge of the arena music should have followed suit and played nothing. Every arena should let the fans just cheer and be loud after a big win. The need for awful loud music is horrible. I would have loved to seen how an arena was without any music.

We all know what Doc brings/brought to Devils hockey, and it does stink that he's not ours still.

But come on with Gary Thorne!  He had a few good years with us, but he though sensational screaming for any goals by a superstar was how to get on hilight reels. (in this respect, he is similar to Brooks' sensationalism, to try to get on as many websites as possible).

Not to mention the oft-mispronunciations over the years.  (Gilcrest, Drooz from the top of my head.). 

And this is going to sound crazy, but what if Chico were a network announcer. (I know he once was). His chemistry with Doc still trumps Eddie O.  The other night, Gm. 5, Doc asked him a question, and it was dead silence for more than 10 secs.

(and sorry to all, I use parenthesis alot).

Gary was terrible and his hate for the Devils showed through. In the case of Doc's mistakes, he at least stops himself as soon as he realizes that he either 1) make a mistake or 2) didn't get a good look at it or unsure of the situation. Once he realizes what happens he picks up where he left off and continues with the accurate announcing.

Gary on the other hand continues to shout about how the goal was not good even though you can tell he is unsure and his only recourse is that the goal light did not come on. He chose to make his decision by this instead of either looking at the replays that quickly followed or the fact that you can see plain as can be even in standard def TV days that the puck went in. Instead Gary continues to shout over and over again that it is not a good goal even while the players are celebrating and the Senators players are pretty much resigned to it.

Gary and Larry Brooks should really form their own club of bitter ex-Devils employees who will do anything to go out of their way to take shots at the Devils.

I think you're just going by your memory 11 years ago. Go watch the highlight now. You say he should have watched a replay and changed his tune, well guess how long it took him to change his tune, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 whole seconds. For those 4 seconds he sounds like a complete bafoon because the puck obviously went in. But whos to say he didnt have a bad angle where he couldnt see the puck. Thorne was the voice of the playoffs in the late 90s and early 2000s and he did a great job of bringing excitement to important calls.

When kane scored the blackhawks are on the ice celebrating and doc said it rattled on back yet the puck hadn't gone anywhere besides in the net. I'm not saying he sucks, he's great, but when you make hundreds of calls a game for thousands of games, you're gunna mess up once in a while. Even the greatest like doc messes up many times a year.

Thorne was passionate with his calls and I enjoyed listening to him, and I still did recently when he was doing the NCAA tourney. You don't like him okay, i do. But I can tell you there's plenty of people that I talk to that would love to have him doing NHL games again.

Thorne was good at times, maybe later on he wasnt as good

he's nowhere as knowledgeable as Doc, but he's got the strong voice and enthusiasm

this was a good call as it happened...just past the 1 minute mark, I still get goosebumps from this

Edited by The 29th Pick

Thorne became an airhead when he started doing multiple sports at the same time.  And yeah he (like most of ESPN) was so anti-Devils back then.

The Thorne hate is so overboard. It stems from the fact that while the Devils continued to dominate after the 2000 Cup run, it was in ESPN/ABC's best interests to find other story lines to sell to US hockey fans. We know about the Bourque story line all of the 2001 Finals (and while it continues to rub Devils fans and look past the Devils loss, it was a really good storyline to tell). Then in 2003, ABC really tried to promote the underdog scrappy Ducks. You couldn't blame them. That 03 Devils team was lacking any strong selling point.

Add in the 03 ECF blunder, and Thorne is hated for life. But find me a a Devils highlight that wasn't passionately called by him. I never heard one.

Whose fvcking idea was it to blast Bon Jovi's Its My Life right after the stanley cup clinching buzzer goes off? :(

Gary was terrible and his hate for the Devils showed through.  In the case of Doc's mistakes, he at least stops himself as soon as he realizes that he either 1) make a mistake or 2) didn't get a good look at it or unsure of the situation.  Once he realizes what happens he picks up where he left off and continues with the accurate announcing.

Gary on the other hand continues to shout about how the goal was not good even though you can tell he is unsure and his only recourse is that the goal light did not come on.  He chose to make his decision by this instead of either looking at the replays that quickly followed or the fact that you can see plain as can be even in standard def TV days that the puck went in.  Instead Gary continues to shout over and over again that it is not a good goal even while the players are celebrating and the Senators players are pretty much resigned to it.

Gary def had some hate for the Devils. Gary had lube for Ray Bourque during the 2001 Cup Finals. His bias was so obvious.

Whoever was in charge of the arena music should have followed suit and played nothing. Every arena should let the fans just cheer and be loud after a big win. The need for awful loud music is horrible. I would have loved to seen how an arena was without any music.

Exactly why I was complaining the Kings goal horn went off non stop for about 30 seconds. Can we just enjoy the moment without some dbag screwing things up. Just let us hear the crowd..its not that hard.