Trade: Hartnell to CBJ for Umberger and a 4th

Derlique

Philly has plans to go after Shea Weber according to a coworker of mine who's a big Flyers fan. That's why they jettisoned Hartnell.

And what exactly are they going to give up?  It's going to cost a ton to get Weber in addition to taking on that massive contract, so what, they could trade him in another 2 or 3 yrs from now?

David Poile has said that he's never trading Shea Weber, it would just be dumb to do so.

One of the only D-men in the league currently you could build a team around. Flyers thought they had him by playing the money game, and they failed. Gotta give up on that. I feel like they'll overpay a free agent or two now.

One of the only D-men in the league currently you could build a team around. Flyers thought they had him by playing the money game, and they failed. Gotta give up on that. I feel like they'll overpay a free agent or two now.

One of the only?  There's plenty of defenseman out there that could be focal building points

Needless to say, flyers boards lighting up and pretty pissed.  Not so much that Hartnell's gone, but getting Umberger and not taking back $$$. Almost identical contracts. I love it.

Needless to say, flyers boards lighting up and pretty pissed. Not so much that Hartnell's gone, but getting Umberger and not taking back $$$. Almost identical contracts. I love it.

Flyers ditch two years of Hartnell's contract though. Saves them some money and cap space in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hextall is asserting that he's the GM. This is a king of the jungle type move to send a message to the locker room and put others on notice aside from just the financials in the long term. Short term I don't think this makes the Flyers better, just different as Paul Holmgren used to say after making his annual shakeup trades.

Flyers ditch two years of Hartnell's contract though. Saves them some money and cap space in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I mean sure, but in the meantime Umberger is a much worse player.  Yeah, the Flyers would probably have to buy out Hartnell eventually, but they have to buy out Umberger probably too.  It seems like a baby and bathwater type maneuver.

Hextall is asserting that he's the GM. This is a king of the jungle type move to send a message to the locker room and put others on notice aside from just the financials in the long term. Short term I don't think this makes the Flyers better, just different as Paul Holmgren used to say after making his annual shakeup trades.

Stupid.... Not you, but Hextall. Getting rid of Richards/Carter was a king of the jungle move and look how that panned out. Now they get rid of arguably their #2 leader... again...

My money's on Columbus making a nice playoff run next year.

Stupid.... Not you, but Hextall. Getting rid of Richards/Carter was a king of the jungle move and look how that panned out. Now they get rid of arguably their #2 leader... again...

In retrospect the Carter and Richards trades are pretty big wins for Philly. It just looks worse because LA won two cups in three years (they have CBJ to thank, twice)

In retrospect the Carter and Richards trades are pretty big wins for Philly. It just looks worse because LA won two cups in three years (they have CBJ to thank, twice)

I agree.. They got solid young pieces in return on that one.. The JVR trade though was just horrific, and makes me jealous that we haven't fleeced someone like that recently as well

Stupid move by the Flyers. They save 2 years of contract by trading for a guy whose primary position last season was 'the healthy scratch'? But not complaining, love to see them crap the bed.

I agree.. They got solid young pieces in return on that one.. The JVR trade though was just horrific, and makes me jealous that we haven't fleeced someone like that recently as well

Judging by fans' and GMs' reactions around the league, the Schneider trade was an absolute fleecing. I don't think anyone thinks Vancouver won that one. You'll remember commentators during/after the draft talking about other GMs being left with their jaws wide open in disbelief. It was bad, and Lou did it on the big (live) stage of the NHL Draft, which all of Canada watches on TV religiously.

Edited by DJ Eco

To be fair there were rumblings that Hartnell was a bit of a problem earlier in the year. Don't know how true they were but there might be some reasoning behind the move being made.

To be fair there were rumblings that Hartnell was a bit of a problem earlier in the year. Don't know how true they were but there might be some reasoning behind the move being made.

I heard he had an affair with Rod Brind A'Mour's wife. Or is it the other way around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you're thinking of Lindros... There was a rumor a few years ago that Carter was banging Hartnell's wife though.

Yeah, I was making light of the fact that there's always a rumor about someone in the Flyers having an affair with a teammate's wife. They take on many different forms, but they seem unique to the Flyers for some reason.

It's hockey's version of Mikey's stomach melting from pop rocks and coke.

Yeah, I was making light of the fact that there's always a rumor about someone in the Flyers having an affair with a teammate's wife. They take on many different forms, but they seem unique to the Flyers for some reason.

It's hockey's version of Mikey's stomach melting from pop rocks and coke.

Lmfao, yeah there's something in the water down there... Whatever it is, it causes everyone to commit adultery with each other and repels winning. :P