Pat Burns is a HOF'er

MadDog2020

re:  Andreychuk, I posted this a long time ago, but prior to his offense declining, he was about a point-per-game player through his first 1083 GP (503 G, 558 A, 1061 Pts, +56).  His numbers at that point were very similar to Joey Mullen's career numbers (1062 GP, 502 G, 561 A, 1063 Pts, +163), who got in pretty quickly (in 2000, last played in 1997)...of course, Mullen won three Cups.  Andreychuk's overall point-per-game average clearly took a hit from '97-'98 on (he was also a -66 in that time frame), which seems to be hurting his case. 

re:  Modano, yeah, you pretty much summed it up.  Same reasons why Elias' numbers aren't as awe-inspiring as they could've been (but he'll still wind up with 400 G and 600 A).

Andreychuk and Mullen put up a point-a-game in an era where that wasn't anything special. That should not be enough to get you in the Hall. The fact that Joe Mullen is in the HHOF is pretty silly.

Andreychuk and Mullen put up a point-a-game in an era where that wasn't anything special. That should not be enough to get you in the Hall. The fact that Joe Mullen is in the HHOF is pretty silly.

First American-born player to reach 500 goals and 1000 points.  3 Cups.  I think the fact that he was an American helped his HHOF cause.

Great class. Burns deserved this honor while he was still alive to enjoy it, but it cements his legacy as an all time great coach. Just glad we were lucky enough to reap the benefits, though he didn't get nearly enough time.

Enough about the other guys from me. Just an amazing day for Pat's family. I know back in 2010, many people were talking about the resume or legitimacy of Burns' candidacy for he to be expedited to the HHOF (and perhaps the HHOF committee had to be fighting with that or why the fvck would they not vote him in back then). But he is one of the great coaches this game has had.

People can talk about coach of the year awards, but some are more impressive than others because of the success those teams had in the playoffs too. You can have a coach overachieve in a regular season and lose right away in the playoffs. You can have a team take a crummy team and just sneak in to the playoffs or a coach that rides a hot goalie all season. This is what Pat did in the first year of each of his 4 teams:

First year with the Habs: Team finishes with 115 points and goes to the Stanley Cup Finals

First year with the Leafs: Takes over a team with 67 points the year before and leads them one game short of the Stanley Cup Finals

First year with the Bruins: Takes over the worst team in the league (drafted Joe Thornton 1st overall) and the Bruins make the playoffs (Thornton) was a non-factor his rookie year with only 7 points in 55 games).

First year with the Devils: Devils win the Cup 

Edited by devilsrule33

Enough about the other guys from me. Just an amazing day for Pat's family. I know back in 2010, many people were talking about the resume or legitimacy of Burns' candidacy for he to be expedited to the HHOF (and perhaps the HHOF committee had to be fighting with that or why the fvck would they not vote him in back then). But he is one of the great coaches this game has had.

People can talk about coach of the year awards, but some are more impressive than others because of the success those teams had in the playoffs too. You can have a coach overachieve in a regular season and lose right away in the playoffs. You can have a team take a crummy team and just sneak in to the playoffs or a coach that rides a hot goalie all season. This is what Pat did in the first year of each of his 4 teams:

First year with the Habs: Team finishes with 115 points and goes to the Stanley Cup Finals

First year with the Leafs: Takes over a team with 67 points the year before and leads them one game short of the Stanley Cup Finals

First year with the Bruins: Takes over the worst team in the league (drafted Joe Thornton 1st overall) and the Bruins make the playoffs (Thornton) was a non-factor his rookie year with only 7 points in 55 games).

First year with the Devils: Devils win the Cup

I'll never forget how he really guided that team through rough waters in game 7 in Ottawa too... When Nieuwendyk couldn't take another shift that night, Burnsie fired them up in between the first and second periods by saying 'there's a guy with a Conn Smythe and a couple of Stanley Cups in there balling his eyes out because he can't help you guys right now'... Langenbrunner then went out and got 2 HUGE goals to give the Devils the lead. After Friesen turned it over leading to Ottawa's tying goal, Burnsie told him when he came back to the bench 'don't worry about it- but you owe me one. Go out there and just get it back'. The rest is history.

Yeah, pretty amazing how Burns found success everywhere he went, and was able to turn teams around...I know the Maple Leafs were clearly improving their personnel before he got there, but they had been an irrelevant running joke for years before he became their coach...he led them to 99 and 98 points in his first two seasons and made them worth watching.  Seemed like his players really liked him too (though I guess his message had a way of wearing thin in Year 4 or so).  He was definitely the right guy at the right time for the Devils...they needed a guy who wasn't going let the inmates run the asylum, but wasn't Ftorek-level abrasive either.  Burns seemed like he was the best of all worlds.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976