Patrick Sharp available via trade

Guadana

Pass.

As others have said, perfect complimentary piece. Bring him here expecting him to lead the offense, and I see him only scoring 20-something.

He's a mildly better version of Ryder with some better skating and passing, but with more on contract length. We'd have to get rid of Ryder if we looked to bring in Sharp.

If I'm talking trade with anyone it's Edmonton. Supposedly Craig MacTavish is looking for a 3rd rounder and a D man. We could do that for Gagner.

so true.  i'd do that trade in a heartbeat. still costing us $5mill/year but he's 24 years old.  PLUS who knows which Dman we could get rid of.. could end up not costing much at all

I don't think that you can get a 1st rounder for Sharp.  Hossa, yes, any of that Chicago core, probably a first and more.  If a 1st rounder is going to Chicago, it should be a straight up pick for player trade.  I honestly don't think there will be much interest, but this makes things interesting if Vancouver would do a Kesler for Sharp swap.  I have a feeling that Chicago is going to completely fleece someone for him.  Could you see Vancouver giving up Kesler and a 2nd for Sharp? Or just Kesler + more.  Sharp is a great piece for them to be dealing right now and I agree, this is the best time for Chicago to grab a top center to play behind Toews. 

Yeah, so that contract ends when Sharp is 35 years and 6.5 months old - Brian Rolston's UFA contract with the Devils had him playing his first game with NJ at 35 years and 7.5 months old.

To Rolston's credit, he scored 30+ goals up to that contract. It just fell apart the moment he came to NJ. Sharp will get paid again when he is a free agent and probably disappoint a new team immediately. 

I don't think that you can get a 1st rounder for Sharp. Hossa, yes, any of that Chicago core, probably a first and more. If a 1st rounder is going to Chicago, it should be a straight up pick for player trade. I honestly don't think there will be much interest, but this makes things interesting if Vancouver would do a Kesler for Sharp swap. I have a feeling that Chicago is going to completely fleece someone for him. Could you see Vancouver giving up Kesler and a 2nd for Sharp? Or just Kesler + more. Sharp is a great piece for them to be dealing right now and I agree, this is the best time for Chicago to grab a top center to play behind Toews.

Nobody is giving up a 1st for an aging and declining Hossa who carries some cap hit baggage. Teams aren't stupid to the point that they don't recognize that some of these guys "shiny" complexion is due to the sum of them together.

To Rolston's credit, he scored 30+ goals up to that contract. It just fell apart the moment he came to NJ. Sharp will get paid again when he is a free agent and probably disappoint a new team immediately. 

Rolston's production dropped when he came to NJ. I expect the same from Sharp unless he goes to another top tier team.

so true. i'd do that trade in a heartbeat. still costing us $5mill/year but he's 24 years old. PLUS who knows which Dman we could get rid of.. could end up not costing much at all

We'd have to send some salary back at least for next year. Perhaps Brunner or Ryder. I'd love to fawn Salvador off on them but doubt they do that or Lou even invites that idea.

Nobody is giving up a 1st for an aging and declining Hossa who carries some cap hit baggage. Teams aren't stupid to the point that they don't recognize that some of these guys "shiny" complexion is due to the sum of them together.

I'd give up a 1st in a second for Hossa.  He is one of the top wingers in the league.

I'd give up a 1st in a second for Hossa.  He is one of the top wingers in the league.

I probably would too if we didn't desperately need young forwards.  He remains an elite 2-way player, granted he may only have a few years left of great offensive production.   Players who can play both sides of the puck are bound to have long careers as long as they can maintain decent foot speed and can remain healthy, see Patrik Elias.  But as a lowly armchair GM, there's no way I'm giving up anything more than just a first for him.  No Merril, No Larsson. 

See my above statements.  The cap hit is a bitch, but as long as he is still producing the cap hit is worth it. 

I'd give up a 1st in a second for Hossa. He is one of the top wingers in the league.

I didn't mean our first. I was referring to a top 5 or 10 pick. He's on the decline for sure. He is a top winger because he is playing on a stacked team with two terrific centers. We are not a contender.

I didn't mean our first. I was referring to a top 5 or 10 pick. He's on the decline for sure. He is a top winger because he is playing on a stacked team with two terrific centers. We are not a contender.

The Hawks do not have 'two terrific centers'.  They have one.  They have a giant hole on their 2nd line that they have filled with a lot of garbage.  They're not using Patrick Sharp as a center.

Where is the evidence that Hossa is on the decline?  He's a fabulous player, one of the smartest players in the league, and he'll be good for several years yet.  Contenders don't have top 5 or 10 picks very often by the way.

The Hawks do not have 'two terrific centers'. They have one. They have a giant hole on their 2nd line that they have filled with a lot of garbage. They're not using Patrick Sharp as a center.

Where is the evidence that Hossa is on the decline? He's a fabulous player, one of the smartest players in the league, and he'll be good for several years yet. Contenders don't have top 5 or 10 picks very often by the way.

My comment about the contender was in regards to us. We have no business really wedding an aging Hossa to this old group of forwards. We already have a Hossa esque player in Elias. At best Hossa makes us a fringe playoff team and then we suffer his recapture when his hip blows out or he retires which is probably only a year or two away.

My comment about the contender was in regards to us. We have no business really wedding an aging Hossa to this old group of forwards. We already have a Hossa esque player in Elias. At best Hossa makes us a fringe playoff team and then we suffer his recapture when his hip blows out or he retires which is probably only a year or two away.

Again, nuts - if you could add Hossa to this team without subtracting anyone it's clearly a playoff team.  Recapture would not be suffered if he blew out his hip because he wouldn't retire until the end of his contract.  And there is absolutely no evidence that Hossa is a year away from retirement but I expect to see the same sources I saw regarding Elias playing wing vs. center cited when it comes to Hossa retiring.  Plus his recapture, if traded, would be minimal - Hossa has 2 years left where he is a combined 5.4M over his cap hit, but then his subsequent year is 1.2M below it - his recapture for the Devils if he retired after that would be 4.2M spread over 3 years, aka almost nothing.

Here's an article titled Hossa thinks of retiring, which is about the very opposite:  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-20/sports/ct-blackhawks-marian-hossa-spt-0121-20140121_1_marian-hossa-dressing-room-guys

Again, nuts - if you could add Hossa to this team without subtracting anyone it's clearly a playoff team.  Recapture would not be suffered if he blew out his hip because he wouldn't retire until the end of his contract.  And there is absolutely no evidence that Hossa is a year away from retirement but I expect to see the same sources I saw regarding Elias playing wing vs. center cited when it comes to Hossa retiring.  Plus his recapture, if traded, would be minimal - Hossa has 2 years left where he is a combined 5.4M over his cap hit, but then his subsequent year is 1.2M below it - his recapture for the Devils if he retired after that would be 4.2M spread over 3 years, aka almost nothing.

Here's an article titled Hossa thinks of retiring, which is about the very opposite:  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-20/sports/ct-blackhawks-marian-hossa-spt-0121-20140121_1_marian-hossa-dressing-room-guys

I think Hossa has a lot of talent left in the tank, but unfortunately, no, just no. Hossa hasn't played a full 82 game season since Atlanta. We'd have to trade something significant for him and when he undoubtedly gets injured we're going to see more Tim Sestitos in the lineup. Too much risk involved. It may still be possible for old men to win an NBA championship, but that hasn't worked in hockey since 1967.

I think Hossa has a lot of talent left in the tank, but unfortunately, no, just no. Hossa hasn't played a full 82 game season since Atlanta. We'd have to trade something significant for him and when he undoubtedly gets injured we're going to see more Tim Sestitos in the lineup. Too much risk involved. It may still be possible for old men to win an NBA championship, but that hasn't worked in hockey since 1967.

The Red Wings of the 2000s were some of the oldest teams ever put together, and did some serious damage; they won the Presidents' Trophy 4 times and the Cup twice. In fact, the two times the Wings won the the cup, they were the oldest team in the league.

The Red Wings of the 2000s were some of the oldest teams ever put together, and did some serious damage; they won the Presidents' Trophy 4 times and the Cup twice. In fact, the two times the Wings won the the cup, they were the oldest team in the league.

They were also stacked from top to bottom with high end talent. Those old guys were some of the best in the game.