2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

So I didn't know where to put this, figured a new thread would make sense with July rapidly approaching.  I'm sure we'll make new threads for any Devils signings anyway.

Ryan Callahan re-upped with Tampa, 6 years / 5.8m per.

At first glance it doesn't seem terrible (since he was asking 6-7m per from the Rangers wasn't he?) but then you remember he's good for 20-25 goals and maybe 50 points...and is probably closer to declining than not...

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723834

Edited by Devilsfan118

So I didn't know where to put this, figured a new thread would make sense with July rapidly approaching. I'm sure we'll make new threads for any Devils signings anyway.

Ryan Callahan re-upped with Tampa, 6 years / 5.8m per.

At first glance it doesn't seem terrible (since he was asking 6-7m per from the Rangers wasn't he?) but then you remember he's good for 20-25 goals and maybe 50 points...and is probably closer to declining than not...

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723834

Welp. There goes that. Would have loved him on the team.

Cally was gonna make that anywhere, maybe more if a team like Buffalo or Edmonton were involved. Hell, he was dealt out of New York originally because his demands were upwards of $6.5m/7. Granted, he must like the Florida lifestyle and taxes situation, not to mention Tampa Bay as an arena, fanbase, and organization seem top notch. Good for him. I know it would've looked bad in 3-4 years, but I would've taken him at $5.5-5.7/6. Contracts like this are a necessary evil nowadays to compete, unfortunately. As a fanbase, we like to pinch our pennies, but then wonder why we don't have "difference-maker" players.

Edited by DJ Eco

Crazy numbers, crazy GMs and crazy agents all over the NHL. Dave Bolland, a 3rd liner on his best day is apparently seeking 7-8 years at $5mill per according to Bobo. Leafs countering at 6 years and $4.25 million.

Dave fvcking Bolland!?!?!

Someone please sign him before Lou can.

In retrospect, the Clowe deal wasn't bad at all compared to some of the deals we're gonna see from now until 2 weeks from now.

They're ripping Callahan for signing for less money than the Rags offered on Boomer and Carton, saying he's 'irrelevant' now that he's no longer in NY. This is the attitude that permeates from a$$holes from NY who are Ranger fans. And this is why that franchise doesn't deserve to win dick. I guess Marty St. Louis was completely irrelevant before he came to NY...

Edited by MadDog2020

WOW. can't believe callahan settled for 5.8.  i did not expect that.  he'll decline, yes, but i can't make fun of Tampa for that deal...

NOW if anyone even comes close to giving Bolland what it looks like he's asking for, than that is a travesty and any such GM should be fired

The back end of that deal is risky. I know Callahan is a player that Triumph and I actually agree on from an analysis perspective. I wonder if he will play with Stamkos. TB has a decent bunch of forwards.

They're ripping Callahan for signing for less money than the Rags offered on Boomer and Carton, saying he's 'irrelevant' now that he's no longer in NY. This is the attitude that permeates from a$$holes from NY who are Ranger fans. And this is why that franchise doesn't deserve to win dick. I guess Marty St. Louis was completely irrelevant before he came to NY...

In a way, they aren't wrong. Callahan being the captain of the New York Rangers had to have inflated his value somehow. There is no way he is worth that much. He most likely will be irrelevant soon enough. Just another overpaid average player out there.

In a way, they aren't wrong. Callahan being the captain of the New York Rangers had to have inflated his value somehow. There is no way he is worth that much. He most likely will be irrelevant soon enough. Just another overpaid average player out there.

I agree that Callahan isn't worth that kind of coin, and I'm glad we didn't sign him to a deal like that. But if he helps TB win, he won't be irrelevant. Winning is all that matters. They have a good team down there. Edited by MadDog2020

I agree that Callahan isn't worth that kind of coin, and I'm glad we didn't sign him to a deal like that. But if he helps TB win, he won't be irrelevant. Winning is all that matters. They have a good team down there.

agreed, if im callahan i would love to play for them.  in my mind, southern california and some parts of florida have to be the nicest places to live.  that, plus the fact that the team tampa has compiled down there is extremely solid

I agree that Callahan isn't worth that kind of coin, and I'm glad we didn't sign him to a deal like that. But if he helps TB win, he won't be irrelevant. Winning is all that matters. They have a good team down there.

Fair enough. If there point was that winning in Tampa is not the same as winning in NY, maybe they are right in some regard, but it's douchey as hell. I'm just not a big fan of him.

Fair enough. If there point was that winning in Tampa is not the same as winning in NY, maybe they are right in some regard, but it's douchey as hell. I'm just not a big fan of him.

I think the 'winning in Tampa isn't the same as winning in NY' was certainly implied. The arrogance of Ranger fans is amazing with their 1 Cup in 74 years.

Winning in Tampa is PHENOMENAL, considering they've actually done it in the past 10 years.

I think the 'winning in Tampa isn't the same as winning in NY' was certainly implied. The arrogance of Ranger fans is amazing with their 1 Cup in 74 years.

Well, technically they are right because when you win in New York IT WILL LAST A LIFETIME, BABAY!!! That being said, I wonder when Tampa's 10 year cup anniversary box set comes out.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Jason Spezza trade talk heating up. OTT in conversation with 4 teams, three in the West and one in the East.

Ducks, Blues, Stars and Panthers is my guess.

That's part of our fan base. Idiotic. Anyone who complains about what Callahan got obviously never appreciated him. The trade resulted in their first SCF in 20 years. You can't have it both ways. Cally's contract is tax free. I wouldn't have given him the sixth year. But he's a perfect fit for that team. Tampa will be heard from.