2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

I don't know what the fancy stats say, but he was a .6 ppg player last season, which is the same as Zajac.  From the eyeball test he seems to fit in well with a puck possession strategy. 

You can argue over the adjective, but he's definitely a useful player if he can stay healthy.  If he can't there's cap relief, so I can't go too nuts over his deal.

He does fit in with the puck possession strategy provided he plays.  However, he's got a huge red mark there.  His missed half the season and one has to wonder if that PPG stat would have been diluted.  Players who can't be counted on to stay healthy aren't really useful, especially when they do account for a significant cap hit.

There's a cost in having him on his contract even if you think you can LTIR him.  People keep harping over cap relief, but those are real dollars we account for internally.  Just because we get cap relief, doesn't mean we then have the real dollars to spend on a replacement.

He does fit in with the puck possession strategy provided he plays.  However, he's got a huge red mark there.  His missed half the season and one has to wonder if that PPG stat would have been diluted.  Players who can't be counted on to stay healthy aren't really useful, especially when they do account for a significant cap hit.

There's a cost in having him on his contract even if you think you can LTIR him.  People keep harping over cap relief, but those are real dollars we account for internally.  Just because we get cap relief, doesn't mean we then have the real dollars to spend on a replacement.

It seems to me that financially the team is in good shape.  While the new owners probably haven't written a blank check, I don't think the real dollars that are being paid to Clowe are the difference between making specific moves and not making them.  I'd imagine insurance would defray a large chunk of his salary too.

This is interesting:

With some rough math, if they each get anything close to that, I really think Chicago will be left with no choice but to unload one or two relatively big contracts, one of them being Hossa.  Next year that would bring them to a cap total of something like $70 million with only twelve roster spots filled, with Saad probably getting a nice pay bump, and Teraveinen not far behind.

Like the Devils defensive logjam, something's gotta give.   

Their first attempt will be to try and unload Bickell and perhaps Hjalmarsson, however I don't see teams rushing to the aid of Bowman and Co.  But yes, Hossa might be on the line due to some of the other deals they might have to give out.  Keep in mind Nick Leddy is due for a new deal after this coming season too.  Moving Oduya only buys them some breathing room for this year.  Such is life of a contender.  Success comes with it's costs and good players will demand that.

It seems to me that financially the team is in good shape.  While the new owners probably haven't written a blank check, I don't think the real dollars that are being paid to Clowe are the difference between making specific moves and not making them.  I'd imagine insurance would defray a large chunk of his salary too.

Did that get confirmed however that we have insurance on the Clowe deal?  I knew there was some debate.  Doubt Gulitti knows.

Either way I didn't like the signing after Clarkson saved us from ourselves but hoped it would work out reasonably well.  I'm not expecting roses the latter year or two, but I hope we can get through the next couple years with reasonable production.

Financially we're not in terrible shape like we were under VBK, but we're not out of the woods by any means in terms of getting some stability going forward.

Their first attempt will be to try and unload Bickell and perhaps Hjalmarsson, however I don't see teams rushing to the aid of Bowman and Co.  But yes, Hossa might be on the line due to some of the other deals they might have to give out.  Keep in mind Nick Leddy is due for a new deal after this coming season too.  Moving Oduya only buys them some breathing room for this year.  Such is life of a contender.  Success comes with it's costs and good players will demand that.

Bickell and Hjlamarsson both have no movement clauses of some sort, Hossa does not.  Plus if they dump Hlmarsson that's another defensive slot that needs to be filled with Seabrook approaching the end of his deal. 

Just for sh!ts and giggles, let's do Matteau, Severson and a pick for Hossa.  Who knows, maybe you can drive the price down even further as Chicago gets more desperate. 

Bickell and Hjlamarsson both have no movement clauses of some sort, Hossa does not.  Plus if they dump Hlmarsson that's another defensive slot that needs to be filled with Seabrook approaching the end of his deal. 

Just for sh!ts and giggles, let's do Matteau, Severson and a pick for Hossa.  Who knows, maybe you can drive the price down even further as Chicago gets more desperate. 

I think Hossa has a NTC.

I don't know what the fancy stats say, but he was a .6 ppg player last season, which is the same as Zajac.  From the eyeball test he seems to fit in well with a puck possession strategy. 

You can argue over the adjective, but he's definitely a useful player if he can stay healthy.  If he can't there's cap relief, so I can't go too nuts over his deal.

well then what could happen is that buddy is on LTIR... we have some cap room... but what can you do with it during the season? cant sign a guy... then trade to get a guys who can fit his salary in our grid but then what when Clowe is ready to be back? we've seen sh!t like that happen already when Elias came back and Lou had a stupid mess on his hands and the players we're not liking the situation. 

The same kind of sh!t kept Larsson in the AHL last season too. you get too many average guys then when everyone is healthy youre in a bad spot

They're ugly.  From the eyeball test he does fit into the strategy - when he manages to get into the offensive zone.  Outside of there, he's a disaster, and is unable to work the puck out of his zone with any consistency.

Anyway once again another thread has gotten off-track, but I doubt we hear much about contracts being signed today.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/11140279/patrick-kane-jonathan-toews-chicago-blackhawks-reportedly-seeking-12-million-per-season

Report: Kane, Toews seek $12M (each)

holy sh!t thats some serious coin brah, very interesting.

"According to Capgeek.com, the Blackhawks have approximately $29.04 million available in cap space for 2015-16. Assuming Kane and Toews each are able to command $10 million per year, that would leave just more than $9 million -- under the current salary cap of $71.1 million -- for the team to sign its remaining 12 players."

Mike Ribeiro was just bought out by Phoe errr Arizona, per the Coyotes official twitter.

Wow. What a bust. He must've clashed big time with Tippett.

Do not want before anybody suggest reuniting him with Ryder.

Well that should give a Lou a kick in the pants in respect to a buyout hopefully.

Oh who are we kidding.  

Neal traded from pens to preds. Wow.

Am I wrong, or did they get totally fleeced here?  Neal, attitude issues aside, is good for 40 goals pretty much.  They got a 4th line plug and a 2nd line winger for him... am I missing something?

Rich Chere: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said that all of their restricted free agents have been qualified. Lamoriello added that the free agent interview period was a distraction, to be perfectly honest.”

Wow! That sounds promising. :doh1:  Sounds like Lou is not in the way of doing jack sh!t during free agency.

In this FA Lou really needs to address the scoring problem this team has. Problem is the Devils dont have that much money to address this problem this year

I doubt Lou even thinks there are any issues to be addressed in free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk