2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

The part about Clowe in the Schneider article is encouraging: 'Lamoriello said winger Ryane Clowe, who missed the final seven games of last season with a concussion, has recovered. It was Clowe's second concussion of the season and came when he hit his head on the boards after a check from Florida's Quinton Howden Mar. 31.

"He's doing extremely well," Lamoriello said. "No concerns."

Clowe, who signed a five-year, $24.25 million contract with the Devils last season, suffered a concussion on Oct. 13 when he was elbowed in the head by Wnnipeg's Jacob Trouba.'

the real concern is the guy is fragil now.. i just hope he can stay healthy so he can contribute

The part about Clowe in the Schneider article is encouraging: 'Lamoriello said winger Ryane Clowe, who missed the final seven games of last season with a concussion, has recovered. It was Clowe's second concussion of the season and came when he hit his head on the boards after a check from Florida's Quinton Howden Mar. 31.

"He's doing extremely well," Lamoriello said. "No concerns."

Clowe, who signed a five-year, $24.25 million contract with the Devils last season, suffered a concussion on Oct. 13 when he was elbowed in the head by Wnnipeg's Jacob Trouba.'

Don't buy it. He probably does feel good from his last concussion, but maybe the same way he felt at the start of last season after the two in 2013. Or the same way he felt when he came back last year before getting his 2nd concussion with the Devils.

From everything we have read about many of the NFL players and some NHL players, I am pretty worried about Clowe's long-term health. Going to be very hard for him to be concussion free for the rest of his career. Not sure what another concussion will do to him. If there is one next season, I hope he retires and just hopes for the best. He's at 4 or 5 concussions in a 14 month period. That's devastating.

Edited by devilsrule33

Why would any GM sign any player with the intention of trading him? This is so Esposito like. I don't believe any GM would do this. Trading an asset (of course) but the concept of signing a player just to trade him. You might get stuck with him.

My guess is that it might be something like what the deal has been when teams sign Jagr, that there's an understanding that the team will trade you if the team is out of contention. Meanwhile it's good for the player in that he got the money he was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That article says kinkaid's nhl contract is for 600k and his AHL salary is for 105k, but Clermonts nhl contract is for 605k and his AHL contract is 50k.

Why is Clermonts nhl contact worth more than kinkys when there's little to no chance he plays in nj? Meanwhile if he even plays in Albany he only gets 50k while kinky will be making the 105k.

And does anyone know the details of wedgewoods contract? Does he even have an nhl contract yet?

That article says kinkaid's nhl contract is for 600k and his AHL salary is for 105k, but Clermonts nhl contract is for 605k and his AHL contract is 50k.

Why is Clermonts nhl contact worth more than kinkys when there's little to no chance he plays in nj? Meanwhile if he even plays in Albany he only gets 50k while kinky will be making the 105k.

And does anyone know the details of wedgewoods contract? Does he even have an nhl contract yet?

I'm assuming Kinkaid feels there is a possibility that he will be returned to the ahl at some point, so he would be willing to sacrifice a few dollars from his nhl salary to boost his ahl wage (he's willing to take a bit less in the nhl to guarantee a higher ahl wage.) That would be my guess.

Although it does sound like Lou feels the backup spot is kinkaid's to lose, anything can happen.

Wedgewood is on the final year of a 3 year deal that was very similar to the one clermont just signed.

Don't buy it. He probably does feel good from his last concussion, but maybe the same way he felt at the start of last season after the two in 2013. Or the same way he felt when he came back last year before getting his 2nd concussion with the Devils.

From everything we have read about many of the NFL players and some NHL players, I am pretty worried about Clowe's long-term health. Going to be very hard for him to be concussion free for the rest of his career. Not sure what another concussion will do to him. If there is one next season, I hope he retires and just hopes for the best. He's at 4 or 5 concussions in 14 month period. That's devastating.

It doesn't help that he's not the brightest when it comes to protecting himself against another one. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure in his first game back this season he had a fight. There's no reason for him to ever drop the gloves again with his history.

It doesn't help that he's not the brightest when it comes to protecting himself against another one. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure in his first game back this season he had a fight. There's no reason for him to ever drop the gloves again with his history.

This is true.  He needs to change his game, but I don't think he wants to or is capable.  He may feel he needs to play a certain way to fit a role.  Hopefully he doesn't go the way of Boogard, Rypien, or Belak,  Those were real tragedies.  I like his game and he can remain effective if he tones down the grittiness. 

Hey, a Matt Corrente sighting: Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate:

Per @capgeek, Lightning sign Matt Corrente to a one year deal

As a defenseman? Or a winger? Lol  Good for him.  If he was able to impress Yzerman into giving him a deal, good for him.  Honestly I've always liked his game but if I remember right, 1) Our blueline was always really crowded and he never impressed enough.  2) His defensive awareness was pretty horrendous IIRC, but don't quote me on that, I can't remember.  

Jacob Markstrom has asked for a trade out of Vancouver.

interesting - where he can be a part of game and who can give him a place for regular playing

Source please?  To answer your question, he's not anywhere close to being an established starting goalie.  He doesn't get to demand things, sorry.  If he thinks he's going to get a starting job somewhere, have fun in Europe buddy.  

How many of Clowe's concussions were from fighting? I know neither of the two this season were.

Probably a much smaller chance of one from a punch that you are prepared to receive than from an elbow you don't see coming.

Edited by mfitz804

How many of Clowe's concussions were from fighting? I know neither of the two this season were.

Probably a much smaller chance of one from a punch that you are prepared to receive than from an elbow you don't see coming.

I don't think any but a guy who has a history of concussions shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

I don't think any but a guy who has a history of concussions shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Yea this. The guy needs to do whatever he can to stay the fvck on the ice. If he was brought in to be a goon it'd be one thing, but he wasn't.

wonder who'll win Steve Ott sweep-steaks?  As it stands now, the Devils will be waiving 3-4 regular guys (fw's).  I would've loved to see him here, But he'll get 3 mil from someone.

As it stands now, the Devils will be waiving 3-4 regular guys (fw's).

what who is getting waived? We have a 20 man roster now plus gelinas, Kinkaid and josefson gets you to 23.

Sure they'll bring guys like Matteau, Boucher and sislo to camp but I doubt they'll make the team and force a "regular" to be waived.

Kane and Toews sign 8 year, 10.5 extensions.

fvcking A, say goodbye to your depth Chicago. 

Maybe, maybe not. These are very fair deals with the escalating cap ceiling. As many have pointed out on twitter, the only difference with this deal and past deals is the new CBA doesn't allow the 4 final years at $2-3 million that we have seen so many times.

Edited by devilsrule33