2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

The kid sounds like he could be a stud. Also played with Kreider, apparently.

Hope he doesn't amount to anything.

I have no idea how good he is, but his senior year was the first time he broke more than a point a game, and that was on a stacked BC team.  It's also the first time he scored above 10 goals.  If you want to see what a real stud college player does, Parise had 61 points in 39 games as a freshman.  If he were also really amazing, Chicago, a team with cap issues that could use all the players on ELCs as it can get would have found a way to keep him.

I have no idea how good he is, but his senior year was the first time he broke more than a point a game, and that was on a stacked BC team.  It's also the first time he scored above 10 goals.  If you want to see what a real stud college player does, Parise had 61 points in 39 games as a freshman.  If he were also really amazing, Chicago, a team with cap issues that could use all the players on ELCs as it can get would have found a way to keep him.

No, Hayes was not playing there under any circumstances, and this was rather apparent early on.

No, Hayes was not playing there under any circumstances, and this was rather apparent early on.

He did that because he felt there wasn't a spot for him on the roster. So the point stands, if he was this can't miss type of prospect, or even Kredier-esque, they would have found a place for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of conference but interesting nonetheless, Calgary signed Devin Setoguchi yesterday for 1 Year @ 750k, nice little signing for Calgary to fill out their Top 9. He'll probably play on either the 2nd or 3rd line RW. If I had to take a guess, probably on the 2nd line with Mason Raymond and Sean Monahan.

he'll probably do alright for them for no other reason than they don't have anyone else. They have such a terrible forward corps that he'll get quality playing time.

he'll probably do alright for them for no other reason than they don't have anyone else. They have such a terrible forward corps that he'll get quality playing time.

Yup, all they had after the Iginla trade was Cammalleri, and it's even a wonder he did so well considering the quality of his teammates and their style of play. And now he's gone.

seems like a weak source

It's certainly a weird source.  The last Devils' post on the site before this was a recap about a Devils/Rangers game in 2011, which is apparently the most recent Rangers related post.  The last post on the Knicks is from the NBA playoffs a couple of years ago.  The most recent stuff consists of a few posts about Giants/Jets preseason.

On the other hand, it's kind of a bizarre thing to just make up out of the blue and claim you have inside sources. 

I guess an interesting question would be, do you think that the Rangers still goto the Cup Final if say they make one less trade during the season?  Say, declining to trade either MDZ OR Callahan?  Obviously it's all hindsight at this point, but interesting to think about. 

No. They made trades that worked out. Klein turned out to be much steadier than MDZ and St. Louis performed when they needed him to. One wonders how it all would've played out if his Mom didn't pass away. But tragedies are part of sport. I remember when Mariano Rivera flew home during '04. They still lost 4 straight to Boston. With MSL, the team rallied around him. That along with the team meeting following Game 4 enabled them to come back and go on a nice run.

I'm interested to see Hayes. Hope he participates in Traverse City. Has good size and speed. Benefited from playing with Gaudreau and Arnold. Hopefully, they don't rush him.

No. They made trades that worked out. Klein turned out to be much steadier than MDZ and St. Louis performed when they needed him to. One wonders how it all would've played out if his Mom didn't pass away. But tragedies are part of sport. I remember when Mariano Rivera flew home during '04. They still lost 4 straight to Boston. With MSL, the team rallied around him. That along with the team meeting following Game 4 enabled them to come back and go on a nice run.

I'm interested to see Hayes. Hope he participates in Traverse City. Has good size and speed. Benefited from playing with Gaudreau and Arnold. Hopefully, they don't rush him.

Hayes probably has a job to lose. I assume that's why he went to NYR