2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Crazy numbers, crazy GMs and crazy agents all over the NHL. Dave Bolland, a 3rd liner on his best day is apparently seeking 7-8 years at $5mill per according to Bobo. Leafs countering at 6 years and $4.25 million.

Dave fvcking Bolland!?!?!

Someone please sign him before Lou can.

I hear you to some extent, but it's called inflation bro. Every player is asking (and getting) more, right down to the lowest paid guy in the league. I think it's sh!tty, but it's nothing new, and its happening in all sports (and frankly, all industries)

The Rangers are in pretty rough shape cap wise. If they sign Statsny, presumably at $7.5 per, that's $17 million for eight skaters. Then next year, you need to give a new deal to Stepan, Hagelin and perhaps St. Louis and Staal. If you want to get a sense of how tight things are, their lowest paid defenseman under contract makes a little less than the cap hit in D for the Devils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's amazing how Stralman might actually get a contract larger than what Mcdonagh signed for last summer. If that were to happen Mcdonagh would be the third highest paid defenseman on the Rags next season.

It's amazing how Stralman might actually get a contract larger than what Mcdonagh signed for last summer. If that were to happen Mcdonagh would be the third highest paid defenseman on the Rags next season.

fvcking Matt Niskanen is gonna get $6.5 a year on like a 6-7 year deal. Its laughable. He'll be bought-out in two years. Edited by MadDog2020

fvcking Matt Niskanen is gonna get $6.5 a year on like a 6-7 year deal. Its laughable. He'll be bought-out in two years.

Daneyko of all people had a nice one liner when it comes to free agency that a lot of GMs would be well served to live by (I don't know if he thought of it, or if it's a cliche) that you overpay for players you have to have.

David Bolland and probably Matt Niskanen are not those players.

Daneyko of all people had a nice one liner when it comes to free agency that a lot of GMs would be well served to live by (I don't know if he thought of it, or if it's a cliche) that you overpay for players you have to have.

David Bolland and probably Matt Niskanen are not those players.

I know the cap is going up, but in 5 years the NHL will be like the NBA and MLB where you have mediocre-at-best players making $8-10 mil a year. No one who's mediocre at their job should make that much money.

I know the cap is going up, but in 5 years the NHL will be like the NBA and MLB where you have mediocre-at-best players making $8-10 mil a year. No one who's mediocre at their job should make that much money.

Blame governments that give out free arenas to billionaires.

Stastny to the Rangers wouldn't surprised me. They bought out Richards, if they clear out a bit more space, they're good.

They don't have any space to clear.  They have 5 forwards signed for next year.  They cannot afford Stastny.

Don't take it personal rafter man, it's just business.

Can someone explain to me the Lightning/Gagner trades. Is their money-saving issues going on here? TB basically traded Purcell and Crombeen for a sixth round draft pick.

There was speculation Yzerman was going to buy out Purcell. That would have been a $1.5M hit on the Lightning's cap for the next four years because they have no compliance buyouts remaining. So instead of buying out Purcell and taking the hit, Yzerman got an asset for him at the end of the day, albeit a small one. Tampa will take a $1.6M charge from Gagner's contract for the next two years only and now Crombeen's $1.15M is off Tampa's cap this season.

The move ends up saving Yzerman $1.05M in space than if he had just bought out Purcell. Nate Thompson also got traded to Anaheim, so that's another $1.6M freed up.

Before the day is out, I predict Hemsky to be a Devil.  (The only relatively big splash) I'm hoping for Stasny, but Lou can't promise this guy the world.  Yzerman is being very aggressive, he may get him.

Doesn't Lecavier have NTC? (has to approve destination)?

If Buffalo wanted to continue tanking, spend to the cap floor, and bring in a good leader, well Gionta is that guy for them.

Here is to a Bolland and Gionta free day for NJ.

Absolutely!

What about Moulson? Is he expected to re-sign with Minny? Haven't heard his name mentioned very much. Can Minny afford him, Vanek, and Iginla (as rumored)?

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 31s

Vanek, Iginla atop #mnwild's free-agent list; Doesn't appear to be pursuing Niskanen STORY >>> http://strib.mn/1rRvu83

Edited by Jerzey Devil

So essentially if you sign RFA's Gelinas, Josefson and Kinkaid, and re-sign Carter and Gionta as has been speculated, that leaves just under $10 million to spend on 2 roster spots.

Unfortunately, I fear the signings will be David Booth (trying to work the DeBoer magic) and Martin Havlat (add to the Czech presence on the team).

Unfortunately, I fear the signings will be David Booth (trying to work the DeBoer magic) and Martin Havlat (add to the Czech presence on the team).

Why ya gotta do that, being all logical.  Can't you let us pretend for a moment that Statsny and Vanek (on a cap-friendly deal, naturally) will be Devils next year?   :giggle:

So essentially if you sign RFA's Gelinas, Josefson and Kinkaid, and re-sign Carter and Gionta as has been speculated, that leaves just under $10 million to spend on 2 roster spots.

I don't know if Josefson is going to be offered a QO. Can't we offer bonuses and not have that go up against the cap?