2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

wtv what that sources is worth... 7,600 followers... lets just take this as a "what if" kind of thing for discussion.

Source confirms to me that #Habs are amongst finalists for Radim Vrbata. However, they do not have the highest bid. Decision tomorrow.

#Habs latest offer for Radim Vrbata appears to be a 4 year deal worth $4.125M per season. Initial Habs offer was 3 years.

UFA F Dany Heatley is willing to accept a 1 year deal worth around $2M with the right team. In talks with #Jets #Penguins #Devils

would be be okay with giving Vrbata lets say... 4 years 4.5m or something lets say we're really in for him?

=======

per Josh Rimer

Just spoke w/ Radim Vrbata, "Nothing is gonna happen today probably. My agent is still taking to teams so I will have better idea tommorow."

Edited by SterioDesign

heatley is horrendous.  a total train wreck.  or car wreck.  thankfully that rumor guy just makes stuff up, because not only is there no room for Heatley here, there really shouldn't be room for him in the NHL.

was the "car wreck" thing intentional? lol

love it. 

Eww...Danny Heatley.  Gimme Vrbata.  I'd be beyond pumped for this upcoming season.  I guess we'll know tomorrow at some point.  I don't know if we sign someone more without knowing for sure that we can move Ryder or Brunner.  Do you think other teams are going to talk to us if we get into cap trouble and NEED to move someone?  I would think Ryder or Brunner would have been moved by now.  People will complain about the age and everything but that's no big deal. 

I would argue we are pretty set if Vrbata comes here.  That's enough depth to entirely bump CBGB plus Sislo from the lineup.  I like it.  Depth is always good. 

Eww...Danny Heatley.  Gimme Vrbata.  I'd be beyond pumped for this upcoming season.  I guess we'll know tomorrow at some point.  I don't know if we sign someone more without knowing for sure that we can move Ryder or Brunner.  Do you think other teams are going to talk to us if we get into cap trouble and NEED to move someone?  I would think Ryder or Brunner would have been moved by now.  People will complain about the age and everything but that's no big deal. 

I would argue we are pretty set if Vrbata comes here.  That's enough depth to entirely bump CBGB plus Sislo from the lineup.  I like it.  Depth is always good. 

People thought the same thing last year with a 4th line that had Josefson and Olesz. CBGB is a line Deboer and Lou really like. Obviously, Carter isn't signed and Bernier isn't a guarantee, but I think they'd be happy to have that as the 4th line, maybe someone else for Bernier if he struggles. 

Still need people slotted properly. I think Zubrus or Brunner could play on the 4th line, but Ryder and Havlat...no way. Having trouble seeing a spot for Jacob right now too. 

Not sure if Lou trades Josefson, but one of Ryder and Brunner definitely look gone.

Looking at Heatley's stats over the past couple of seasons it's clear he has really fallen off pretty sharply so I'm sure Lou will sign him.

Oh.....hey everyone, Mr. Positive decided to come out of his cave.  :rolleyes:  Tell us more about how Lou is going to sign useless players :rolleyes:

Radim Vrbata's camp doesn't wish to reveal which teams are in the running for the UFA wing out of respect for the process and those teams."

It's like Lou doing the comm' for Vrbata' agent... 

NHL Tonight... doing coverage of available UFAs, nice piece on Vrbata, after the other hosts took their turns pointing out Vrbata's skills, Craig Button went out of his way to mention Vrbata's fit in New Jersey, emphasized the Devils...

Button, I think you have to support Radim Vrbata game. He knows how to get open, kindof shifty, around the front of the net, a really good release, gotta have somebody that can get him the puck. He's not going to be one of those 'boards guys',,, one of those guys, you know, scrapping for the puck in the corners, yah gotta get'em the puck and situations where he's breaking free in the offensive zone and that's the team that's going to get the best of his ability.

[Kelly Chase: Yeah, you're right, he finds ways to jump into holes, when the puck is laying there when he arrives, he knows what to do with it. Not going to get his nose dirty as much as some of the guys out there that score those types of goals, again... it's hard to find guys when they get the puck in front of the net, they can finish,.especially in the size and age of goalies right now.]

Button,   "And he's[Vrbata] has been a terrific shootout guy.

[Mike Kelly: Absolutely!]

Button, So the other part of this is, that you know, you're short... you're the New Jersey Devils. you want to consider Radim Vrbata.

[Mike Kelly: You can't discount the importance of the shootout! New Jersey proved that last season.]

I like Vrbata okay, but unless Lou is moving out both Ryder and Brunner, I don't see a fit for him.

Right now LWs are:  Cammalleri, Clowe, Ruutu, Zubrus

Cs:  Zajac, Elias, Henrique, Gionta, Josefson

RWs:  Jagr, Havlat, Ryder, Brunner, Bernier

It's just hard to find a place for him.  I'm not convinced of NJ's ability to move both Ryder and Brunner.

I like Vrbata okay, but unless Lou is moving out both Ryder and Brunner, I don't see a fit for him.

Right now LWs are:  Cammalleri, Clowe, Ruutu, Zubrus

Cs:  Zajac, Elias, Henrique, Gionta, Josefson

RWs:  Jagr, Havlat, Ryder, Brunner, Bernier

It's just hard to find a place for him.  I'm not convinced of NJ's ability to move both Ryder and Brunner.

Uhhh, I wonder if Lou was looking for a center this off-season. Henrique is not nearly as good at C...basically he should not be playing center, but with this team I see no choice at all. He's just a waste there.

Based on everything from last year (a lot of it deserved), I think it is going to be such an uphill climb for Jacob to have a spot on this roster. There was a game last year where he was put back with Jagr and scored a goal early in the game. That line was broken up by the end of the 2nd period. If "6th man" Stephen Gionta ever scored a goal when he got time with Elias, he prob would have been praised for months and given a top 6 spot for weeks.

For Josefson to win over Pete and Lou, he needs to have a great training camp, get some points in pre-season and come on very strong in the first 5 games of the season. Don't know if he'd get a shot after that.

Uhhh, I wonder if Lou was looking for a center this off-season. Henrique is not nearly as good at C...basically he should not be playing center, but with this team I see no choice at all. He's just a waste there.

Based on everything from last year (a lot of it deserved), I think it is going to be such an uphill climb for Jacob to have a spot on this roster. There was a game last year where he was put back with Jagr and scored a goal early in the game. That line was broken up by the end of the 2nd period. If "6th man" Stephen Gionta ever scored a goal when he got time with Elias, he prob would have been praised for months and given a top 6 spot for weeks.

For Josefson to win over Pete and Lou, he needs to have a great training camp, get some points in pre-season and come on very strong in the first 5 games of the season. Don't know if he'd get a shot after that.

Jacob Josefson scored one goal last year and it was a short-handed goal.  He didn't have an assist on any goals by Zajac or Jagr, either.  I'm not sure what you're referring to but it sounds like it didn't happen - maybe the line got a goal, but he wasn't in on it?

I don't think Henrique is a waste at center - he's overpriced, certainly, and he is better on the wing overall - but he just can't be given a bunch of scorers to play with.  Clowe and Ryder were a decent fit with him.

Jacob Josefson scored one goal last year and it was a short-handed goal.  He didn't have an assist on any goals by Zajac or Jagr, either.  I'm not sure what you're referring to but it sounds like it didn't happen - maybe the line got a goal, but he wasn't in on it?

I don't think Henrique is a waste at center - he's overpriced, certainly, and he is better on the wing overall - but he just can't be given a bunch of scorers to play with.  Clowe and Ryder were a decent fit with him.

I'm trying to look through the game logs, but can't find it at the moment. Not sure what I was thinking....maybe a dream. Either way (a little silly saying that now), he had a fairly short leash with Pete. He's not going to score much, but he still brings enough different things that I hope he is part of the team next season.

Are you thinking the Yankee stadium game? JoJo had a great shift which helped lead to Zajacs goal then he was taken off that line. Edited by Zubie#8