2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Was it career suicide for Brendan Morrison, Bill Guerin, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Patrik Elias, Bobby Holik, Scott Niedermayer (twice), etc.?  These players were all already more established.  I listed Morrison first because I think he is the best analogue.

Brodeur too, after winning Cup #1.  That one got ugly.  I remember Brodeur saying he'd never sign another contract with the Devils again (clearly he got over it)...and of course, we know how Lou felt about Lupien after the dust had settled. 

Was it career suicide for Brendan Morrison, Bill Guerin, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Patrik Elias, Bobby Holik, Scott Niedermayer (twice), etc.?  These players were all already more established.  I listed Morrison first because I think he is the best analogue.

You said it yourself, those players were more established.  Gelinas was getting scratched and marginalized late last year and there are defensive prospects all around him either on the team already or close behind.

You said it yourself, those players were more established.  Gelinas was getting scratched and marginalized late last year and there are defensive prospects all around him either on the team already or close behind.

There's 29 other teams in the league, I don't think Gelinas will have trouble finding work.

There is a tiny part of me that is waiting to see this ending up with Gelinas leaving.  Judging by the comments I see on here, other forums and FB group's, a large chunk of the fanbase will lose their sh!t because they see him as the second coming of Al MacInnis.

But I hope it works out for the best.

I don't know about that, but he brings something the Devils have had been missing desperately from their blueline in a very long time.  If he is gone, it should be via trade.

Wow, that's..certainly an interesting tactic. 

I wonder who's really the delusional one - the player, or the agent.  Because there's no way in hell he deserves the money he's asking for.

Very interesting strategy, at least the fans know who the dumb one is with this negotiation. He isn't worth $6.5M per years after an entry level contract. Where do these agents get the idea they can hold up the teams?

Very interesting strategy, at least the fans know who the dumb one is with this negotiation. He isn't worth $6.5M per years after an entry level contract. Where do these agents get the idea they can hold up the teams?

I'm of the belief he is worth $6.5 million. 30 goals, 63 points, awesome 2-way player, all done during a season when he was 21. He's really really good.

I'm of the belief he is worth $6.5 million. 30 goals, 63 points, awesome 2-way player, all done during a season when he was 21. He's really really good.

He also shot something like 19%. With a normal shooting percentage, he has 20 goals, which is obviously less impressive. He's very good, but it's his first productive season and his work ethic has been called into question and was a healthy scratch in the AHL 15 months ago. Subban made MTL pay with a bridge because he significantly outperformed it. I think CBJ wants RJ to do the same

Edited by SMantzas

He also shot something like 19%. With a normal shooting percentage, he has 20 goals, which is obviously less impressive. He's very good, but it's his first productive season and his work ethic has been called into question and was a healthy scratch in the AHL 15 months ago. Subban made MTL pay with a bridge because he significantly outperformed it. I think CBJ wants RJ to do the same

13.9%.

Just saw this on TSN:

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports Harding's off-ice injury is significant, and he's expected to be out months instead of weeks. McKenzie added is on crutches and in a walking boot.

Harding is one of three goalies on Minnesota's roster alongside Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper however Kuemper, a restricted free agent, is still unsigned.

Maybe they will sign Brodeur now.

Just saw this on TSN:

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports Harding's off-ice injury is significant, and he's expected to be out months instead of weeks. McKenzie added is on crutches and in a walking boot.

Harding is one of three goalies on Minnesota's roster alongside Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper however Kuemper, a restricted free agent, is still unsigned.

Maybe they will sign Brodeur now.

Nope

@Russostrib: Bryzgalov tryout in works + re-sign Kuemper RT @Cberns44: @Russostrib What's the plan now that Harding is out for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brodeur's looking for a real good team - he'll pass on Minnesota.  Plus there are still six teams interested in signing him.

If I'm Columbus, I can't really give Johansen an 8 year deal at what he 'deserves' because he's only had the one good year.  If he had two good years to work with they could come to an agreement, but they don't really have that.  You can see what happens with that with guys like Tyler Myers and Rusty Olesz.

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby Ryan signs seven year deal at above $7 AAV.  (Yes, he's not a UFA, but didn't want to start a new thread).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=732669&navid=nhl:topheads

Seems like a pretty bad deal.  The Blues got a much better deal for Statsny who is probably the better player. 

Can't compare the situations. Sens have lost Alfredsson and Spezza in consecutive off-seasons. They traded a lot for Ryan. They are a cap-floor team right now and won't be anywhere close to a cap team for a very long time if ever under Melnyk. The fanbase has gotten so down on their owner and the team. 

They needed to sign Ryan. His camp had the leverage. From that point of view. It's fine.

Can't compare the situations. Sens have lost Alfredsson and Spezza in consecutive off-seasons. They traded a lot for Ryan. They are a cap-floor team right now and won't be anywhere close to a cap team for a very long time if ever under Melnyk. The fanbase has gotten so down on their owner and the team. 

They needed to sign Ryan. His camp had the leverage. From that point of view. It's fine.

Yeah this, and you don't win anything by having the best deals (of course it can help) but there's soooo many situations that comes in. Stastny wanted to play for the Blues who are stacked while Ryan got traded there and one year away from free agency, the team is somewhat rebuilding and looking for their identity so its really different

There's the PR angle, which counts for something.  I dunno, it just seems like Ottawa is desitned to be in Winnipeg territory.  Not bad enough to get a franchise player in the right draft, not attractive enough to land a big free agent, and not good enough to be particularly relevant.  Locking yourself into Bobby Ryan for a long time when you're in that situation now seems to be bad idea.

But I don't follow Ottawa all that closely, so I can't really give anything other than an off the cuff opinion as to how good the organization really is or will be in the future.

The Devils are close to a cap team and gave a 31-year-old coming off 3 concussions $4.85 million for 5 years. Ryan is only 27 with four 30+ goal seasons to his name. One of them is a real bad contract.

Is it a lot of money? Maybe, but probably not anymore than he gets from someone in the off-season. The Sens have $15 million in cap space this year, and before the Ryan signing, they had 2 important UFAs to sign over the next three seasons. Now it's just Methot. There were people speculating that Ryan could ask for $8-8.5 million and the Sens would feel obligated to give it to them, since there is absolutely no one else for them to give money to.

Edited by devilsrule33

It's still not a good deal because Ryan is not a play driver and his best years are already behind him.  Please don't be so intellectually reductive as to compare everything to the Ryane Clowe deal either.

It's not the AAV.  It's the way the salary works and the length.  Ottawa will be shopping that deal around after 4 years of it - who will buy?