You know what would help our forward youth?

roomtemp

If we offered sheeted the right RFA. I mean Boston has no cap space and Reilly Smith seems pretty good.

Anything we'd offer would be matched unless it's ridiculous and at that point they're not worth it. There's a reason nobody does them 

Anything we'd offer would be matched unless it's ridiculous and at that point they're not worth it. There's a reason nobody does them 

But then you force the Bruins to trade someone. Either way you cut it you make the Bruins a weaker team if you offer sheet one of their players.

They happen, but they're rare to begin with, which is probably why Lou hasn't made one, as I haven't heard him say that he's categorically opposed to them.

I was always surprised Stepan did not get an offer sheet last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But then you force the Bruins to trade someone. Either way you cut it you make the Bruins a weaker team if you offer sheet one of their players.

This is true... And then when Adam Larsson is an RFA next year (or any RFA of value for that matter), you can bet your bottom dollar Chiarelli won't forget. Its not a good idea.

This is true... And then when Adam Larsson is an RFA next year (or any RFA of value for that matter), you can bet your bottom dollar Chiarelli won't forget. Its not a good idea.

Yup pretty much this. Like the Bernier/Backes thing with Vancouver/St Louis a few years ago. The Bruins having to pay an extra $1m AAV for Reilly Smith isn't hurting anyone that much anymore either with the cap going up even more soon 

Subban I think isn't a terrible idea to offer sheet for some teams since the Habs have been shown to vastly underrate his value. Though maybe the Norris trophy changed their minds. If I was the Oilers I'd do it in 2 seconds since they need NHL defensemen (assuming they have the cap room-haven't looked). Offer him 7/8.5 AAV and see if they match 

Edited by DH26

Yup pretty much this. Like the Bernier/Backes thing with Vancouver/St Louis a few years ago. The Bruins having to pay an extra $1m AAV for Reilly Smith isn't hurting anyone that much anymore either with the cap going up even more soon

Subban I think isn't a terrible idea to offer sheet for some teams since the Habs have been shown to vastly underrate his value. Though maybe the Norris trophy changed their minds. If I was the Oilers I'd do it in 2 seconds since they need NHL defensemen (assuming they have the cap room-haven't looked). Offer him 7/8.5 AAV and see if they match

The Phailures are always a threat to offer sheet... I'd watch them on Subban. They tried for Weber a couple years ago and failed. I won't be shocked at all if they try it again. Montreal might not wanna drag their feet too long. EDIT: just remembered the Phailures are over the cap, so they can't even do an offer sheet. Cool. Edited by MadDog2020

Offer sheets are rare for a reason; what you get is almost never what you take back in. Of course in the case of Reilly Smith we wouldn't forfeit much of anything. 

I wouldn't mind trying to trade for Loui Eriksson though - he had a down season and he only has two years left on his 4.25/y contract.... : )

Edited by Neb00rs

A team puts time energy into a prospect form draft day on, and a team that has an abysmal drafting record  (Flyers) covet everyone else's fo schizzle. I can't wait til someone else does it to them. I only remember Flyers/ Oilers doing this & Jay Feaster (he screwed up if I remember correctly)  I think it will come back to bite you in the buttocks. It may be legit, but the "code" is more powerful.

As long as I've followed this team, Lou would never exercise this option. 

A team puts time energy into a prospect form draft day on, and a team that has an abysmal drafting record  (Flyers) covet everyone else's fo schizzle. I can't wait til someone else does it to them. I only remember Flyers/ Oilers doing this & Jay Feaster (he screwed up if I remember correctly)  I think it will come back to bite you in the buttocks. It may be legit, but the "code" is more powerful.

As long as I've followed this team, Lou would never exercise this option. 

Flyers have an amazing drafting record, it's the only reason why they are any good right now.  They trade like total garbage and make terrible signings but the Flyers found Giroux, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Justin Williams, etc. in the lower half of the 1st round.

That said, a Reilly Smith offer sheet isn't a bad idea (for someone who isn't us), because the prices for offer sheets are what they are.  A 3.3M contract only costs you a 2nd rounder.  A shrewd team could sign Smith to a $10M/3yr deal with the money somewhat backloaded so he has a high QO coming off that deal.

I read somewhere that Reilly Smith is ineligible for an offer sheet under the new CBA. 

I think it applies to any player that has less 3 years experience at the pro level. 

I would love to offer one of the Rags RFAs (Zuccarello, Brassard, or Kreider) an offersheet. Just to put them in a harder position. Kreider would be ineligible, I believe. Which sucks because he'd be the one I most want.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

Yeah, It would make the league a lot more interesting and dramatic, but teams don't want their players being offer sheeted.  It's kind of a slap in the face, but they do hold a purpose.  That being said, @ OP  Lou would never do it and I don't think he ever will.  Offer sheets tend to be way overpayment, then on top of that you lose draft picks.  I'd only consider it if a team hasn't been able to sign an RFA, it's closing in on training camp, and the price would be similar to what Triumph mentioned.  Being that the only compensation going back would be just 1 second round pick.  I laughed when I saw the Flyers offer sheeted Weber.  Did Holmgren really think that Poile was going to let Weber slip away after they had JUST lost Suter to free agency.  Remind me of the timeline, but I think it's how it went down.  

I wouldn't mind trying to trade for Loui Eriksson though - he had a down season and he only has two years left on his 4.25/y contract.... : )

absolutley agree

give to boston some... ryder(he did good job for them), brunner, 10 round pick, Camus`s "The Plague" in deluxe edition and pack of bubblegum for him. 

I read somewhere that Reilly Smith is ineligible for an offer sheet under the new CBA. 

I think it applies to any player that has less 3 years experience at the pro level. 

I would love to offer one of the Rags RFAs (Zuccarello, Brassard, or Kreider) an offersheet. Just to put them in a harder position. Kreider would be ineligible, I believe. Which sucks because he'd be the one I most want.

That's correct on Reilly Smith. Unfortunately, the only Bruin available for an offer sheet is Jordan Caron. 

None of the Rangers players listed above (as much as I covet Brassard) are eligible either, since they filed for arbitration. 

Not that an OS would be in Lou's plans, but there's not much available out there right now. 

And anyway, other GMs are still salty enough re: Kovalchuk (the contract, the retirement, the reduction of the draft pick penalty), I'd say it is best to keep those bridges unburned, as well.

The best way to replenish the youth on the Devils right now, with the draft past, is to see if they can get lucky finding some undrafted talent or start flipping young defensive talent for forwards of equal value/ceiling.