Schneider re-signs with extended multi-year contract

GoArmySports

So happy Lou took care of this as soon as possible. I would have hated to go into this season with him unsigned. I gave Lou sh!t for letting Parise hit free agency so this move makes me happy and renewed my confidence in him.

Ok and maybe I can admit that maybe Zach did lead Lou on and make him think he was going to re-sign. I guess it's fair to say Zach is the kind of player you have to do what you can to sign him so Lou played along and gave him the one year deal.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Another great day this off-season...

Seriously, this has been a phenomenal offseason so far.

Only thing that could really complete it is to somehow get rid of Salvador. Lou would get a pass for YEARS from me if he pulled that off.

I can't state enough what a relief this is.

This, a 1000x this. The scenario of Cory leaving next summer was always in the back of my mind since we acquired him.

Feels good man.

i forgot which newspaper mentioned the signing but they had a little message thread below it and almost everyone was saying that schneider is not a true starter and that the only reason his GAA was low because shots and scoring have been down this past season

I didn't really know what he meant by that considering the Kovy deal and Elias signing for 7 years...but the longest-term deal Marty ever signed was six years, so I guess it's true it's long for a goalie deal.  And considering the contract, it could be a tremendous steal over time.

Lou was specifically asked if this was the longest contract he has done for a goalie.

It really is kind of amazing in a way that Schneider didn't want to wait a year to test the market...I know it's very hard to leave money on the table, and there's something to be said for having security for the next eight seasons, and like Schneider alluded to, not everyone is comfortable moving around from team to team, but let's face it, if you look at the what the Devils have, the future is murky.  Long-term, as far as forwards go, you've got Zajac, Henrique, Clowe and Cammalleri...you could do a lot worse, but that's not exactly a forward nucleus that screams Cup contender.  Short-term, an old Elias and an old Jagr (hopefully their years don't catch up with them), a Ryder and Brunner that are about as iffy as it gets...a Zubrus who should probably be a 4th-liner...a Ruutu who was effectively a salary dump by the 'Canes. 

The D has some nice prospects, but that's all they really are right now.  I'm definitely very hopeful that they pan out (glad Larsson looks like he's firmly in the picture now), but collectively there's still a lot of unknown there from a long-term standpoint.

Not saying I think the Devils are going to be a bad team...when I say the future is murky, I mean just that...it's hard to tell what this team is going to be, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Schneider was willing to spend his prime years here without having a really good read on what the next 4-5 years holds for the Devils.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It really is kind of amazing in a way that Schneider didn't want to wait a year to test the market...I know it's very hard to leave money on the table, and there's something to be said for having security for the next eight seasons, and like Schneider alluded to, not everyone is comfortable moving around from team to team, but let's face it, if you look at the what the Devils have, the future is murky.  Long-term, as far as forwards go, you've got Zajac, Henrique, Clowe and Cammalleri...you could do a lot worse, but that's not exactly a forward nucleus that screams Cup contender.  Short-term, an old Elias and an old Jagr (hopefully their years don't catch up with them), a Ryder and Brunner that are about as iffy as it gets...a Zubrus who should probably be a 4th-liner...a Ruutu who was effectively a salary dump by the 'Canes. 

The D has some nice prospects, but that's all they really are right now.  I'm definitely very hopeful that they pan out (glad Larsson looks like he's firmly in the picture now), but collectively there's still a lot of unknown there from a long-term standpoint.

Not saying I think the Devils are going to be a bad team...when I say the future is murky, I mean just that...it's hard to tell what this team is going to be, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Schneider was willing to spend his prime years without having a really good read on what the next 4-5 years holds for the Devils.   

True and I hope by the end of his 7-year contract this is not the state he will be in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pUSIjdvTIY

Another great day this off-season...

..the crown moment imo in what has been a fantastic offseason. We don't have to worry about our goaltending situation until 2022.. and credit to Cory for wanting to get this done now, as opposed to wanting to see what the market would command next season. :clap2:

Not saying I think the Devils are going to be a bad team...when I say the future is murky, I mean just that...it's hard to tell what this team is going to be, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Schneider was willing to spend his prime years here without having a really good read on what the next 4-5 years holds for the Devils.   

If long term success were one of main concerns, as opposed to just stability and security, I would imagine that Lou gave the same presentation, so to speak, to Cory that he apparently gave to Cammalleri, that the Devils have performed very well in certain metrics and that there should be long term success with some more luck (I don't think Lou would sh!t on Marty and say the goaltending was not as good as will be for the next four to five years).

And despite his supposed toughness on younger players, DeBoer is a respected coach, and the players understand what he is trying to do. 

He likes it here and the money's right.  If things get bad, he can always ask for a trade.  I don't see what's so great about Pittsburgh - by all accounts it's become a miserable place to play, and they had a hell of a clusterfvck of an off-season.  Minnesota's the other place.  But if you like it in a particular place, why leave?  I think we've seen plenty of guys come to regret that decision.

No. And I don't know why it keeps coming up.

Instead of people bringing this up constantly, I wish they'd just go look on hockey-reference for someone with a career like Cory's who flopped as a 'starter'.  They won't because he doesn't exist.

He likes it here and the money's right. If things get bad, he can always ask for a trade. I don't see what's so great about Pittsburgh - by all accounts it's become a miserable place to play, and they had a hell of a clusterfvck of an off-season. Minnesota's the other place. But if you like it in a particular place, why leave? I think we've seen plenty of guys come to regret that decision.

Instead of people bringing this up constantly, I wish they'd just go look on hockey-reference for someone with a career like Cory's who flopped as a 'starter'. They won't because he doesn't exist.

Some people aren't happy unless they're worried or complaining about something.