traveling to away games

2ELIAS6

Yep that's right!!! And Marty played lights out for both of them. Devils contingent was super loud in MSG last year. That second game was something else: come-from-behind victory, with Cam Janssen with a controversial goal to the absolute ire of Rangers fans, and a Gelinas OT winner... Phew...

That Ryder goal was a thing of beauty as well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been lucky to go to a good number of places to see the Devils play, and there's a lot of driveable options from Jersey, which is nice. Here's a few places you might consider going if you're deadset on driving:

Toronto- As others have said, might be closer than MTL depending on where you are. Plus, you would be able to visit the HHOF, which everyone needs to do at least once.

Montreal- Arguably the best in-game atmosphere you'll ever experience. It's also a great city as others have pointed out, so you'll have a pretty memorable weekend

Boston- Easy drive or Amtrak trip, easy city to get around, just about the perfect size. Cool historical things to see. I can't speak about the bar scene because I wasn't 21 the last time I went, but I'd assume it's pretty fun

NC- I live here now, and I'd say it's a pretty easy drive especially if you do it in a three day weekend. The Canes play in Raleigh, which isn't as fun as Charlotte but is near Duke, UNC, and NC St. If the Devils are playing here sometime in late December or January (I can't remember when), then I would say sandwiching the hockey game with some ACC basketball would be a must. 

If you're willing to fly, I would also put Chicago, Nashville, and Florida in the ring. Chicago is probably my favorite large city that I've been to (moreso than NYC), Nashville is a great city with awesome bars and plenty to do. The arena is really conveniently located to the main area downtown. Florida, well, it's cheap and you'd be able to go to the beach a bit, I'd imagine.

All in all, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of these cities, they all offer different experiences but I haven't had a bad time at any of them. Top three though, I'd say Nashville, Montreal, Toronto.

Thanks man thats pretty much the feedback i was looking for.. although the more and more i look into it i may try going to either verizon center or down to boston..being that they arent too far of a drive, 

After seeing our fans invade MSG last year, I think we should get an organized trip to MSG (and LI) going.

i would definently be down for this!.. maybe not so much LI though i hate going there that place is just too much of a sh!t hole for me

This is a great idea.

Interesting, the few times I've spent time in the Raleigh area, everyone has told me there's not much to do in Charlotte, and it isn't worth the visit.

Eh, just my personal opinion. I like the bar scene in Charlotte in the Epicenter area, but I definitely see how people can feel that way. Charlotte's been expanding a lot so a good portion of it is suburbia. I've spent more time in Charlotte than Raleigh and have a lot of friends in Charlotte though, so I'm probably biased. Charlotte does tend to get better concerts in the summer, I think though.

Thanks man thats pretty much the feedback i was looking for.. although the more and more i look into it i may try going to either verizon center or down to boston..being that they arent too far of a drive,  i would definently be down for this!.. maybe not so much LI though i hate going there that place is just too much of a sh!t hole for me

Glad i could help! I forgot to mention DC actually, I've been there for a game as well, though I was fairly young. If you've never been to DC it's worth a visit so you can do all of the tourist things too

you have to explore outside of jersey then man.. rockland county is nothing like "upstate" NY ..it is just like bergen county here same exact thing.

Geographic perspective is subjective. I also see that area as "Upstate". I usually get to the games in Philly, of course we're their home opener pricing me out of at least one of the games there.

I have been to several arenas to see the Rangers.

Montreal as others have said is a GREAT atmosphere.  Great city, too.  On the Habs board on hockeys future they have a great thread about the city.  Tickets can be expensive, especially for a saturday night.

toronto is also a great arena, near the HOF (I was disappointed with the HOF, thought it was small and got through it in ~2 hours).  Tickets are very expensive as compared to face value.  Scalpers make a killing on Leafs tickets.  Arena is also near the CN Tower and Skydome (or whatever it is called now).  When I went, I flew, and airport was a bit of a cabride to downtown.  

Ottawa is much smaller than Toronto and Montreal, but not a bad city and a fairly easy drive.  Has some cool looking government buildings if you are into architecture. Big problem is the arena is not downtown, but an easy drive from downtown.  There is one section downtown with a bunch of bars/restaurants, but can't recall the name of the area.

Philadelphia-I assume you are not looking for something that close.

Washington- I went there a few years ago and thought the Caps fans were complete dicks.  Wanna-be philadelphia fans, imo.  And no, I was not acting like an idiot or saying anything to anyone.

Carolina- Nice arena, crowd is into the game.  Although,you will likely laugh when the PA guy announces off-sides and icing.  

Pittsburgh- Cool arena, low key crowd.   Not much to do around arena.  Oh, and Primanti Brothers sucks.  Don't waste your time.

Florida- Nice arena, nice people in the crowd, but a dead crowd.  Have not been there since 2001, but when I was there was nothing around the arena.

Detroit-  Arena sucks, city is worse, but Windsor is a short ride across the river.  

Boston-good crowd, bunch of bars and restaurants around arena, not too many hotels though.  Very bandwagon town.  First time I went was before the Bruins were good and tickets were really cheap.  Then, went the year they won the Cup and tickets were much more expensive. 

Edited by Matteau#32

Completely agree with your thoughts on Caps fans Matteau. I've been to so many Flyer and Ranger games but never in my life was I heckled ad threatened so badly than at a Caps game. The nosebleeds are sh!t shows with wannabe hockey fans and wannabe tough guys. I am a very quiet visiting fan and respect everyone and yet I was almost physically beat up for just being an opposing fan. This was the 7-2 loss at the Caps home opener in 2010. Idk if it was just bad luck but I suggest anyone to stay away from the uppers in Washington. For whatever reason people from Washington make fun of the jersey stereotypes at naseum as well.

Edited by Zubie#8

Oh- and everyone who says to check out Montreal is spot on. Its an awesome experience. The crowd there is unlike any crowd I've ever seen at any sporting event I've been to. That building is louder than loud. I saw a Devs-Habs game up there in 2008. The Devs lost 2-1 (ironically, Brian Gionta scored the only Devils goal that night) so I was annoyed afterwards, but I went and drank it off with some Devils fans that were staying at the same hotel as me later that night. I drank so much Molson X I actually passed out at the bar lol. It was awesome. So yeah go to Montreal.

Oh- and everyone who says to check out Montreal is spot on. Its an awesome experience. The crowd there is unlike any crowd I've ever seen at any sporting event I've been to. That building is louder than loud. I saw a Devs-Habs game up there in 2008. The Devs lost 2-1 (ironically, Brian Gionta scored the only Devils goal that night) so I was annoyed afterwards, but I went and drank it off with some Devils fans that were staying at the same hotel as me later that night. I drank so much Molson X I actually passed out at the bar lol. It was awesome. So yeah go to Montreal.

Amazing bars and clubs there, love that city. Been to four games there and been lucky to see four wins. I managed to go to that crazy game in January of 2010 with Parise's OT winner. Brodeur and Halak put on a hell of a show.

This highlight is just sick, incredible game.

Edit: I miss the Doc and Chico combo :(

Edited by Zubie#8

toronto is also a great arena, near the HOF (I was disappointed with the HOF, thought it was small and got through it in ~2 hours).  Tickets are very expensive as compared to face value.  Scalpers make a killing on Leafs tickets.  Arena is also near the CN Tower and Skydome (or whatever it is called now).  When I went, I flew, and airport was a bit of a cabride to downtown.

For anyone contemplating Toronto, take Porter Airlines instead of Air Canada. Porter is the ONLY airline that goes direct from Newark to Billy Bishop Toronto CITY airport (not Pearson). It's a 5 minute ferry ride from downtown Toronto and you're there, never seen anything that convenient in a major city before.

And yeah, the arena is right in the middle of everything, great area to walk around and hang out, loved Toronto.

Edited by DJ Eco

When I was in Toronto, we went to a bar next the HOF after the game.  Wound up closing the place with the owner and a few of his friends.  Beers, shots.  Got back to the room, laid on my bed and the room was spinning.  That hadn't happened to me since college (I was 30 at the time).  Next morning I remembered the beer has double the alcohol in Canada as down here.

Some guy on HF wants to set up an MSG invasion for the 12/27 gm. Both games at MSG are Saturdays so it'll be expensive.

Not sure what qualifies as an invasion, but ever since the emergence of the team ticket exchanges and stubhub, there have always been a decent amount of Devils fans at games at MSG.  If you are willing to pay for them, it is pretty easy to get tickets to any event.  As far as cost, this will likely be the 3rd highest demand game of the season for the Rangers behind the opener and the game against the Flyers on thanksgiving weekend.  So, expect to pay at least $100/ticket just to get in.  If you want better seats, expect to pay a lot more.

Cheapest right now on stubhub are $143 each. http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-rangers-tickets/new-york-rangers-new-york-madison-square-garden-12-27-2014-9075321/ 

Edited by Matteau#32

Like a number of guys have said, I like popping up to Montreal. La Fin du Monde on tap, the McGill girls in the bars on weekends are lovely, that French accent on all the waitresses in all the little places....that NEVER gets old LOL. Throw in Sunday brunch at Eggspectations before driving home and it's a great weekend :)

When I was in Toronto, we went to a bar next the HOF after the game. Wound up closing the place with the owner and a few of his friends. Beers, shots. Got back to the room, laid on my bed and the room was spinning. That hadn't happened to me since college (I was 30 at the time). Next morning I remembered the beer has double the alcohol in Canada as down here.

Yeah that Canadian beer 'aint nothin' to fvck with lol. We were ordering pitcher after pitcher and the next thing I know I'm waking up asking where the hell I was lol. The bartender was cool though. Called me a cab and made sure I got back to the hotel safely. Had a great time.

Completely agree with your thoughts on Caps fans Matteau. I've been to so many Flyer and Ranger games but never in my life was I heckled ad threatened so badly than at a Caps game. The nosebleeds are sh!t shows with wannabe hockey fans and wannabe tough guys. I am a very quiet visiting fan and respect everyone and yet I was almost physically beat up for just being an opposing fan. This was the 7-2 loss at the Caps home opener in 2010. Idk if it was just bad luck but I suggest anyone to stay away from the uppers in Washington. For whatever reason people from Washington make fun of the jersey stereotypes at naseum as well.

If you go to Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Isles or Flyers-Devils, you have to expect the back and forth between the fans and usually a few that go a bit overboard.  If you go to enough of those games, you get used to it.  In Philly, people will give you lip, but for the most part I have found if you dont act like an idiot back, it will stay all in good fun.  Washington was different.  Had several people get close enough to me that you could say they were in my face and I am not a small human.  

Exactly, the caps fans I encountered looked for trouble even though me and my friend were quiet the entire game. It was an awful experience

The food sucked there as well. I think that year they were ranked amongst the worst and violated a lot of of food and safety regulations.

Edited by Zubie#8

well so much for wanting to go to the verizon center, its not sounding like its going to be too good of a time from what im hearing in here..looking more like my winter trip will be to td garden instead.

not a bad option though still.  i feel like boston would be an incredible city.  i've heard great things and its definitely on my list within the next couple of years

not a bad option though still. i feel like boston would be an incredible city. i've heard great things and its definitely on my list within the next couple of years

My sister lives there, its an awesome city. I saw a Devs-Bruins game there back in 2006 when the Bruins still sucked. The tickets were like $30 a pop. Ever since my nephews were born and the Bruins got good (driving ticket prices to insane levels), I haven't gotten to another game up there. Its tough because the Devils are seemingly never there on a weekend. But Boston is a great town with plenty to do.

not a bad option though still.  i feel like boston would be an incredible city.  i've heard great things and its definitely on my list within the next couple of years

I was in Boston last year for the game where we looked like we barely held on when down 3-1 and scored 2 goals in the final 2 minutes to win.. There were a lot of Devils fans there too and I hugged half of them at least haha.. Boston fans were awesome and we had no problems even while celebrating loudly afterwards

I highly recommend doing the Freedom Trail in your jersey before the game!