Andy Greene Signed +5 years @ $5M Per Season

Zubie#8

Ahh, what would be a press conference announcement without some click bait from Chere:

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 4m

Told a few weeks ago by someone close to Kovalchuk that there have been rumors of his return "but nothing to it." http://nj.com/devils

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 4m

Of course, things change. http://nj.com/devils

Man Chere is such a troll nowadays.  Shame.

Of course Lou waits until there's only 336 days left to finally talk to Greene. :tomato:

How long before we get a "See, Lou has finally learned his lesson!"...in (garbled) English and in French.

Anyway, glad Greene is back...good for him, he's made himself into a nice defenseman.  Would love to know the terms though.

• Like 1

How long before we get a "See, Lou has finally learned his lesson!"...in (garbled) English and in French.

Anyway, glad Greene is back...good for him, he's made himself into a nice defenseman.  Would love to know the terms though.

I think we're seeing Lou get to build the team how he wants to under this new ownership. Lou has shown many times in the past that if a player is an important piece, he will sign them early. People will always point to Zach, but I think this is showing us that Zach was just a case of a perfect storm of bad timing, with a lack of money,  a massive Kovy deal, an impending lockout and the not-so-secretive Minnesota money all coming together.

fvck you a$$hole. 

even if somehow this wasnt towards me well you still deserve it

I think we're seeing Lou get to build the team how he wants to under this new ownership. Lou has shown many times in the past that if a player is an important piece, he will sign them early. People will always point to Zach, but I think this is showing us that Zach was just a case of a perfect storm of bad timing, with a lack of money,  a massive Kovy deal, an impending lockout and the not-so-secretive Minnesota money all coming together.

That's how I feel about Zach not re-signing with NJ back in 2012.  It was indeed the perfect storm.  I still think he can go f himself and will always and forever be Suter's bitch boy.

Anyways Greene has been one of my second favorite current Devils for about 3 years now and he deserves.  Probably one of the most underrated defensemen and players in the NHL today.

I remember Lou kind of taking a swipe at previous ownership (or what passes for one in Lou-speak)...I forget exactly what he said, but I remember him implying that he was hamstrung financially and wasn't able to do everything he would've liked. 

fvck you a$$hole. 

Well that's a step up from the last thing you called me...good to see I'm moving up ze ranks.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I remember Lou kind of taking a swipe at previous ownership (or what passes for one in Lou-speak)...I forget exactly what he said, but I remember him implying that he was hamstring financially and wasn't able to do everything he would've liked. 

Well that's a step up from the last thing you called me...good to see I'm moving up ze ranks.

I recall it too. Sometime about the "landscape" or "limitations" or something like that.  I also remember him saying, at the Kovy signing, that it was a "commitment ownership wanted to make" meaning I think Lou knew keeping both would be very difficult. I think Lou chooses Zach every time if it's his decision.

But looking at the team now, we have Zajac, Henrique, Cammalleri, Greene, and Schneider signed long term. That's a very good base for the next few years, especially if Camm can put some points up consistently.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

One of the things that's definitely true is that players didn't want to sign early in the old days.  It was entirely unheard of.  That's because salaries were jumping every year.  In 1990, the Capitals didn't match the offer sheet on Scott Stevens.  The Blues offered him basically 4 years $4M total and the Capitals said no thanks we'll take the picks.  Fast forward to 2003 and Scott Stevens was making almost $7M a year and this was considered a bit of a discount.  So I could see how someone from the old school doesn't do things this way, and it's because the players didn't want it.

Fast forward to 2005 - the lockout has to muck up any hopes of getting Elias, Gomez, Niedermayer, or Rafalski committed to a long-term deal.  So we'll never know if he approached any of them early or what discussions they could've had.

Glad to see Greene re-signed - NJ basically had no one signed for next year, and now they do.  They can handle a long Greene contract, hopefully, with all the youngsters coming up.