Andy Greene Signed +5 years @ $5M Per Season

Zubie#8

I recall it too. Sometime about the "landscape" or "limitations" or something like that.  I also remember him saying, at the Kovy signing, that it was a "commitment ownership wanted to make" meaning I think Lou knew keeping both would be very difficult.

But looking at the team now, we have Zajac, Henrique, Cammalleri, Greene, and Schneider signed long term. That's a very good base for the next few years, especially if Camm can put some points up consistently.

Agree, it's not a great nucleus (and some young defensemen will find their way into it soon), but not bad either.  Obviously this year depends on Jagr and Elias not suddenly aging overnight, and it would help greatly if Ryder saw his puck luck go the other way.  Still very much an "if" team for next season...I still think it's a team with a wider distance between their point floor and ceiling than most teams. 

One of the things that's definitely true is that players didn't want to sign early in the old days.  It was entirely unheard of.  That's because salaries were jumping every year.  In 1990, the Capitals didn't match the offer sheet on Scott Stevens.  The Blues offered him basically 4 years $4M total and the Capitals said no thanks we'll take the picks.  Fast forward to 2003 and Scott Stevens was making almost $7M a year and this was considered a bit of a discount.  So I could see how someone from the old school doesn't do things this way, and it's because the players didn't want it.

Fast forward to 2005 - the lockout has to muck up any hopes of getting Elias, Gomez, Niedermayer, or Rafalski committed to a long-term deal.  So we'll never know if he approached any of them early or what discussions they could've had.

Glad to see Greene re-signed - NJ basically had no one signed for next year, and now they do.  They can handle a long Greene contract, hopefully, with all the youngsters coming up.

Washington ultimately rec'd five first-rounders as compensation for Stevens.  Many would take the picks...Washington had two of those five picks play a lot of games for them (in bold):  Trevor Halverson, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner and Miika Elomo.  Kinda hurts to see the guy who left go on to win three Cups with another franchise though.   

I'm bursting with excitement.  NEWS GUYS.  SUMMER NEWS!  I'd be happy with a Greener extension. 

4 years at 3.5 million a year, maybe 4 a year.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But no way. He makes 3.5 this year. I think you're looking at 5 for 25. Maybe a little less.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But no way. He makes 3.5 this year. I think you're looking at 5 for 25. Maybe a little less.

agreed although that would be a dream 4 years at 3.5 he is going to get something quite a bit thicker than that.. 5/25 seems to be most peoples guess.. im hoping it is 4 years between 4-5mil per.. you couldnt ask for anything better than that.

I'm bursting with excitement.  NEWS GUYS.  SUMMER NEWS!  I'd be happy with a Greener extension. 

4 years at 3.5 million a year, maybe 4 a year.

lol 3.5 is his current salary...  

Not thrilled with 5/25 here - I recognize that it's the market price and so on, but the 5th year could very well be brutal.  Would've rather gone 4/22 or something like 7/30.

I can understand the fifth year concerns but Greene seems like the kind of guy who should age well- he doesn't rely on speed or physicality so much as smart positioning and instincts. In the short term it's an absolute win to have a top pairing defensemen signed at 5 mil and IMO that negates the potential negative of the 5th year. 

Alright guys get your guesses in...

Mine is Greene extended 5yrs, $25 mil.

called it.

Not thrilled with 5/25 here - I recognize that it's the market price and so on, but the 5th year could very well be brutal.  Would've rather gone 4/22 or something like 7/30.  

4/22 is not as good. CAP hit higher and that is bigger issue than last year.

Pretty much what the going price is on a player like Greene, but I have to agree with Triumph that the 5th year could very well be brutal.  He logs big minutes and he will be 37 by that time.  However, if the cap keeps rising at the rate it is going at, then that might not be too brutal then.

Not going to worry about that fifth year (technically sixth...he still has a year on his current deal before the new one kicks in, same as Schneider)...he may not even be on the team at that point.  If the Devils get four good years out of him, considering how these long-term deals tend to go, that's probably as much as we should realistically hope for. 

Not going to worry about that fifth year (technically sixth...he still has a year on his current deal before the new one kicks in, same as Schneider)...he may not even be on the team at that point.  If the Devils get four good years out of him, considering how these long-term deals tend to go, that's probably as much as we should realistically hope for. 

This

I'd argue it's below market price given some of the FA stupidity this offseason (see: Capitals, Washington)

People are really complaining about five years when he would have easily got six years and probably six million or more on the open market?

To be fair, I hated signing Brassard for the same term. But it's better to lock up your own now than wait.

People are really complaining about five years when he would have easily got six years and probably six million or more on the open market?

Bingo. Detroit would've forked that over for sure, along with a bunch of other teams. I'm fine with 5/25.