Kimmo Timonen out Indefinitely with Blood Clots

Derlique

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1h
Kimmo Timonen is dealing with blood clots in his lower right leg and both lungs. The #flyers say they aren't sure about his playing status.

Damn, hope he makes a full recovery. The Flyers d just went from bad to worse and it's not even like they can even make a move. His salary was only 2 million.

MDZ can move the puck, which is what they need back their, it's a decent signing for them. Doesn't set them back at all.

What they need is a defenseman that can actually drive the play forward. MDZ doesn't appear to be that guy. The contract is fine because it's low risk and maybe he puts up a few points, but he's not going to help them play better defense. If Mason plays like he did in the 2nd half of last season and Emery plays like he did all year, they're going to need to score a ton of goals in order to win games on a regular basis.

Flyers issue with defense is they get pinned in there own end. Adding MDZ who has mobility, and a quick outlet pass on that horrible defense, is already an addition no matter what. It's one year as well. Nashville and NYR had deep defense's, Philly doesn't, he's young and he can gain his confidence back. Not a bad deal at all.

What they need is a defenseman that can actually drive the play forward. MDZ doesn't appear to be that guy. The contract is fine because it's low risk and maybe he puts up a few points, but he's not going to help them play better defense. If Mason plays like he did in the 2nd half of last season and Emery plays like he did all year, they're going to need to score a ton of goals in order to win games on a regular basis.

Flyers issue with defense is they get pinned in there own end. Adding MDZ who has mobility, and a quick outlet pass on that horrible defense, is already an addition no matter what. It's one year as well. Nashville and NYR had deep defense's, Philly doesn't, he's young and he can gain his confidence back. Not a bad deal at all.

MDZ has been a negative possession player nearly his whole career. By definition that means he spends more time in his own end than he does playing offense. NY and Nashville having deep defenses only means that he should have looked better on those teams because they could shelter him with soft minutes. In Philly, he'll be more exposed if he's forced to play more and/or tougher minutes.

I agree that the contract is good because if by some chance he does have a good year, then it's a great deal. If he plays like he did last year, then oh well, it's only a $1.3M deal and maybe they can offload him on another team that thinks they can teach him to play defense. I just really don't think that Philly is going to be the team that can teach him to play proper defense or give him the right d partner to help cover his mistakes.

Edited by ATLL765

He's only 23..

MDZ has been a negative possession player nearly his whole career. By definition that means he spends more time in his own end than he does playing offense. NY and Nashville having deep defenses only means that he should have looked better on those teams because they could shelter him with soft minutes. In Philly, he'll be more exposed if he's forced to play more and/or tougher minutes.

I agree that the contract is good because if by some chance he does have a good year, then it's a great deal. If he plays like he did last year, then oh well, it's only a $1.3M deal and maybe they can offload him on another team that thinks they can teach him to play defense. I just really don't think that Philly is going to be the team that can teach him to play proper defense or give him the right d partner to help cover his mistakes.

He has six seasons under his belt though.  Not full seasons, granted, but I think it's pretty fair to say he's not going to suddenly become this stellar offensive defenseman, given what we've all seen thus far.

you never know really, look at our own Andy Greene. He was 23 when he played his first game in the NHL. his fiiiiirst game. 

He's only 23..

I'm not arguing that he won't ever get better or that he couldn't be a productive player given the right environment. I'm just saying that I do not think his skillset is one that will aid the Flyers in any way given that their issue is that the only positive possession players on their defense last year were Coburn, Streit and Timonen and Timonen was the only one that had a CF% significantly over 50%. Adding another player that is a negative possession player isn't an upgrade for them imo, coupled with the loss of Timonen and their defense is significantly worse than it would be with Timonen in the lineup. I also don't think that the Flyers organization is the right one to fix MDZ's game.

Edited by ATLL765

Well, he will get plenty of chances there to try and prove. His mobility will help them, that's a plus.

I'm not arguing that he won't ever get better or that he couldn't be a productive player given the right environment. I'm just saying that I do not think his skillset is one that will aid the Flyers in any way given that their issue is that the only positive possession players on their defense last year were Coburn, Streit and Timonen and Timonen was the only one that had a CF% significantly over 50%. Adding another player that is a negative possession player isn't an upgrade for them imo, coupled with the loss of Timonen and their defense is significantly worse than it would be with Timonen in the lineup. I also don't think that the Flyers organization is the right one to fix MDZ's game.

I think if Timmonen misses more than half the season, that the Flyers don't make playoffs.  I doubt they have enough defensive depth to even make playoffs.  ATLL cites some pretty important information in the fact that only Coburn and Streit were positives in possession besides Timmonen.  Streit is definitely better than Mezaros in terms of advanced stats, but they also acquired MacDonald  :rolleyes:  so I think the Flyers have gotten worse on defense overall.  Their success is going to be dependent on their forwards and how well Mason can handle the pressure (and stay healthy).  I predict Berube is gone by December. 

Am I the only one that's worried the Flyers are going to be bad? I'm not talking about missing the playoffs bad, I'm talking about top 5 pick bad.  I think we all know that if you're going to suck, this is the season to do it.  They are going to be giving MacDonald top minutes because they are missing Timonen and I don't think Mason will play as well as he did last year.  If Giroux or Coburn go down, they can be REALLY bad

Am I the only one that's worried the Flyers are going to be bad? I'm not talking about missing the playoffs bad, I'm talking about top 5 pick bad.  I think we all know that if you're going to suck, this is the season to do it.  They are going to be giving MacDonald top minutes because they are missing Timonen and I don't think Mason will play as well as he did last year.  If Giroux or Coburn go down, they can be REALLY bad

there is no shot they will be that bad, as long as Giroux is healthy.

i really think they'll finish just a few spots short of a playoff spot.  as much as i hate them, they always seem to toughen up when it counts and they often find a way to get in