Newark - Unfriendliest City in US

jim777

Newark is a vibrant city with great people. If you don't realize that, watch the games at home. Take some time to understand the historical and economic contexts of the issues here.

a vibrant city with "great people"? LOL good joke there .. the majority of people in newark is down right all sh!t. II had to go there to pick up a car the other day, i was not even 5 minutes away from the rock and the crap i saw i wish i wouldve gotten on camera.. 2 crack head bums screaming at each other outside of a train station going back and forth.. several more of them sleeping all over the benches while there are a few regular people uncomfortably waiting around for the bus.. but yes so many great people in newark.. maybe youre referring the the black lady in the wheel chair that chases people down the side walks begging for change as youre walking to the arena.

LOL I love it when people use the term "vibrant" to describe cities that are on the constant brink of oblivion.  It has been so mis-used over the past decade or so that now it means the total opposite of what it used mean

I'll take lame and safe over crime-infested "vibrant" cities anyday.

LOL I love it when people use the term "vibrant" to describe cities that are on the constant brink of oblivion.  It has been so mis-used over the past decade or so that now it means the total opposite of what it used mean

I'll take lame and safe over crime-infested "vibrant" cities anyday.

exactly. you shouldnt have to worry about going to the arena and turning down the wrong street and getting lost

exactly. you shouldnt have to worry about going to the arena and turning down the wrong street and getting lost

The area immediately around the arena is not bad at all and I feel pretty safe there.  However for the city as a whole there are still a lot of pockets that I wouldn't want to have my car break down in the middle of the night there.

However calling the city vibrant is a bit of PC exaggeration.

Edited by DevsMan84

a vibrant city with "great people"? LOL good joke there .. the majority of people in newark is down right all sh!t. II had to go there to pick up a car the other day, i was not even 5 minutes away from the rock and the crap i saw i wish i wouldve gotten on camera.. 2 crack head bums screaming at each other outside of a train station going back and forth.. several more of them sleeping all over the benches while there are a few regular people uncomfortably waiting around for the bus.. but yes so many great people in newark.. maybe youre referring the the black lady in the wheel chair that chases people down the side walks begging for change as youre walking to the arena.

This is something a real piece of sh!t would say. It's amazing how people so blatantly ignorant feel they are in any position to make such strong statements. Open up a god damn book.

This is something a real piece of sh!t would say. It's amazing how people so blatantly ignorant feel they are in any position to make such strong statements. Open up a god damn book.

Agree and disagree. Yeah suburbanites(esp. sheltered ones) who have a problem with "urbanites" should just watch the games on tv, but you're telling me you haven't witnessed any riff raff and typical ghetto folk downtown since the arena opened? Mayor Ras said he was going to focus on cleaning up Broad/Market so we'll see if he's a man of his word.

yea i guess im a piece of sh!t because im speaking the truth.. newark for the most part is a dump, theres not even any debating it so get over yourself... and if the arena wasnt built there its pretty agreed upon that a lot more people would be attending games..people dont want to go to a sh!t hole to see a hockey game and they built their arena in a city that is mostly populated with blacks, who again are not interested in hockey(most anyway)(and now im sure someone will come along and say thats racist because everyone is a fvcking al sharpton today but its not racist to say majority of blacks are not interested in hockey just go to a game and tell me who is there its a factual statement)..there was just a discussion about this on facebook with all of your average fans.. but that you come along and say watch the games from home which is exactly what the team does NOT want.. how are they going to make any money if people are watching from home? maybe you should open up a god damn book Edited by 2ELIAS6

yea i guess im a piece of sh!t because im speaking the truth.. newark for the most part is a dump, theres not even any debating it so get over yourself... and if the arena wasnt built there its pretty agreed upon that a lot more people would be attending games..people dont want to go to a sh!t hole to see a hockey game and they built their arena in a city that is mostly populated with blacks, who again are not interested in hockey(most anyway)(and now im sure someone will come along and say thats racist because everyone is a fvcking al sharpton today but its not racist to say majority of blacks are not interested in hockey just go to a game and tell me who is there its a factual statement)..there was just a discussion about this on facebook with all of your average fans.. but that you come along and say watch the games from home which is exactly what the team does NOT want.. how are they going to make any money if people are watching from home? maybe you should open up a god damn book

Don't really have any reason to go to Newark other than going to the Rock. I really only felt nervous once which was going to a game by myself to the snow storm game against the Blues, actually walking back to Penn Station after the game. Don't think it's safety that prevents people going to Devils games. Just not enough Devils fans to fill up the place regularly, and not a destination like it could have been in Hoboken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Downtown Newark is really fine from Prudential Center to NJPAC. If you think it's really that bad you're a very sheltered white suburbanite lol.. There's very little crime in the downtown section, and virtually none from 6am to 11pm (I have some access to Newark crime data).. Sure it's more ominous later at night when you walk a street with no one else on it but I park several blocks away on the street and never feel unsafe.. Plus they are definitely making it a better area with all of the projects going on and planned for the future.. The key is keeping the riffraff out of that area.. In general though you get a lot of suburbanites who flat out fear black people in low income areas and that hurts the city a lot because they just assume they're all crackheads with guns who will rape their face haha

Downtown Newark is really fine from Prudential Center to NJPAC. If you think it's really that bad you're a very sheltered white suburbanite lol.. There's very little crime in the downtown section, and virtually none from 6am to 11pm (I have some access to Newark crime data).. Sure it's more ominous later at night when you walk a street with no one else on it but I park several blocks away on the street and never feel unsafe.. Plus they are definitely making it a better area with all of the projects going on and planned for the future.. The key is keeping the riffraff out of that area.. In general though you get a lot of suburbanites who flat out fear black people in low income areas and that hurts the city a lot because they just assume they're all crackheads with guns who will rape their face haha

Didn't you get your window smashed in when you parked on the street during a game a year or 2 ago in the dead of winter?

The area right around the arena during event nights are not bad as there are cops on almost every corner plus tons of people walking around.  However, go to that area on non-event nights then it gets a little iffy.  I know because I have done so to go to meetings with lawyers near the Rutgers campus and it is not exactly a welcoming neighborhood on non-event nights.

When you take into the whole city into account, Newark is for the most part a sh!thole.  Yes there are parts of New York City that are rough but there are usually pretty far away from where most of the touristy and entertainment is since Giuliani and Bloomberg cleaned up the city (Di Blasio is trying his best to reverse that but I digress).  With Newark, you walk a block or 2 from the touristy downtown area and you are in areas what I would consider less than friendly.

Fact of the matter is that it doesn't come down to being white, sheltered suburbanite.  It's calling how you see them and only a few uber-PC people are drinking the "Newark is a virbrant city" kool-aid.  Yeah they have stuff that are being built and/or planned, but how many things that have been completed have closed (BCBG, Port 44, Uber Burger, that coffee house next to it, Arena Lounge, etc) or have not come to fruition (biergarden next to BCBG, triange park (yet), bridge directly from Penn Station to Arena (not counting Gateway tunnel)). 

Didn't you get your window smashed in when you parked on the street during a game a year or 2 ago in the dead of winter?

The area right around the arena during event nights are not bad as there are cops on almost every corner plus tons of people walking around.  However, go to that area on non-event nights then it gets a little iffy.  I know because I have done so to go to meetings with lawyers near the Rutgers campus and it is not exactly a welcoming neighborhood on non-event nights.

When you take into the whole city into account, Newark is for the most part a sh!thole.  Yes there are parts of New York City that are rough but there are usually pretty far away from where most of the touristy and entertainment is since Giuliani and Bloomberg cleaned up the city (Di Blasio is trying his best to reverse that but I digress).  With Newark, you walk a block or 2 from the touristy downtown area and you are in areas what I would consider less than friendly.

Fact of the matter is that it doesn't come down to being white, sheltered suburbanite.  It's calling how you see them and only a few uber-PC people are drinking the "Newark is a virbrant city" kool-aid.  Yeah they have stuff that are being built and/or planned, but how many things that have been completed have closed (BCBG, Port 44, Uber Burger, that coffee house next to it, Arena Lounge, etc) or have not come to fruition (biergarden next to BCBG, triange park (yet), bridge directly from Penn Station to Arena (not counting Gateway tunnel)). 

Well when you leave a full hockey bag and sticks in the body of your car, plus 2 giant magnetic Devils logos on the sides that basically say to people "Hey I won't be back for a good 2 hours" I can see how I set myself up for failure.. I now chuck the logos and stuff i nthe trunk when I park.. Still, my parents have had cars broken into at our grocery store parking lot in western Essex county so if you leave stuff in the body of a car you'll tempt thieves anywhere I guess.. FWIW too I'd have spent more than double the cost of that window had I been parking in the lots all these years haha.. I'll admit though I'm always a little anxious now when going back to my car to see if it's been hit or broken into

Again I agree that north, south, and west of the downtown are really bad, both in how run down they are and high crime rates, but I don't see how that affects going to games and the downtown/Ironbound districts.. There's nothing wrong with those areas and the crime rate is fairly on par for your typical city.. Most of the crime occurs in those other areas more than half a mile from the Rock.. Unfortunately, a homicide that occurs at 3am a mile from the Rock still has the headline "Homicide in Newark" and no one really cares where it happened, just that it was in Newark so all of Newark is now a war zone.. And yes, many white suburbanites are freaked out in downtown by the abandoned buildings (so scary!!) and raggedy-looking black people just going about their business shopping on Broad

Edited by Colin226

Didn't you get your window smashed in when you parked on the street during a game a year or 2 ago in the dead of winter?

The area right around the arena during event nights are not bad as there are cops on almost every corner plus tons of people walking around. However, go to that area on non-event nights then it gets a little iffy. I know because I have done so to go to meetings with lawyers near the Rutgers campus and it is not exactly a welcoming neighborhood on non-event nights.

When you take into the whole city into account, Newark is for the most part a sh!thole. Yes there are parts of New York City that are rough but there are usually pretty far away from where most of the touristy and entertainment is since Giuliani and Bloomberg cleaned up the city (Di Blasio is trying his best to reverse that but I digress). With Newark, you walk a block or 2 from the touristy downtown area and you are in areas what I would consider less than friendly.

Fact of the matter is that it doesn't come down to being white, sheltered suburbanite. It's calling how you see them and only a few uber-PC people are drinking the "Newark is a virbrant city" kool-aid. Yeah they have stuff that are being built and/or planned, but how many things that have been completed have closed (BCBG, Port 44, Uber Burger, that coffee house next to it, Arena Lounge, etc) or have not come to fruition (biergarden next to BCBG, triange park (yet), bridge directly from Penn Station to Arena (not counting Gateway tunnel)).

Wait, did I miss something? When did Brick City close? That place was awesome.

Wait, did I miss something? When did Brick City close? That place was awesome.

Yeah about a month or so ago.  Apparently the issues were with ownership but who knows.

Never was impressed by them.  It was small and were the most expensive (for what you get) out of all the bars/restaurants in that immediate area.

Yeah about a month or so ago.  Apparently the issues were with ownership but who knows.

Never was impressed by them.  It was small and were the most expensive (for what you get) out of all the bars/restaurants in that immediate area.

Yup I agree, it was cool when they were the only game in town but I hated that they had a "Game Day Menu" which was really just their regular menu with jacked up prices. I understand maximizing revenue from high demand before events but I personally feel like I'm being cheated when that happens. Good food and a nice interior for sure, but nothing that made it really stand out enough, especially to draw folks on non-event nights

Yeah about a month or so ago. Apparently the issues were with ownership but who knows.

Never was impressed by them. It was small and were the most expensive (for what you get) out of all the bars/restaurants in that immediate area.

That sucks. You're right though, they were expensive... I'm sure that didn't help matters. I didn't realize all those other places closed too. What's left? Edison Ale House, HK, and Dinosaur at this point?

That sucks. You're right though, they were expensive... I'm sure that didn't help matters. I didn't realize all those other places closed too. What's left? Edison Ale House, HK, and Dinosaur at this point?

EAH is still there but they close often on non-event nights.  Also saw they instituted a new rule where before and after events the bar area you are only allowed to drink and no food orders will be taken.  This sucks as about 1-3 times a year either myself or me and a buddy of mine like to sit at the bar at around 4ish, order food and beer and leave around 5:30.  Now we cant do that.

Dinosaur is still there.  That might be my new place now.  Loft is still there and so is HK's.  Monk room a block or 2 south of the arena sounds good as it opened back in March or April.  It's a pizza and craft beer bar and the prices seem decent.  They also opened up Chipotle next to Dinosaur and apparently building a Mercato's (sp?) Tomato Pie next to that.  They also have that Indigo hotel around the corner from the arena on Broad St that is supposed to have a bar/lounge on the ground floor and a rooftop bar.  You also have to include Joe's Crab Shack at the Marriott and from what I hear another burger place is going into the old Uber burger spot but haven't heard much going on there.

yea i guess im a piece of sh!t because im speaking the truth.. newark for the most part is a dump, theres not even any debating it so get over yourself... and if the arena wasnt built there its pretty agreed upon that a lot more people would be attending games..people dont want to go to a sh!t hole to see a hockey game and they built their arena in a city that is mostly populated with blacks, who again are not interested in hockey(most anyway)(and now im sure someone will come along and say thats racist because everyone is a fvcking al sharpton today but its not racist to say majority of blacks are not interested in hockey just go to a game and tell me who is there its a factual statement)..there was just a discussion about this on facebook with all of your average fans.. but that you come along and say watch the games from home which is exactly what the team does NOT want.. how are they going to make any money if people are watching from home? maybe you should open up a god damn book

I don't necessarily disagree that Newark is a dump.  Other than the Ironbound, the rest of the city needs major investment - not to mention the crime in that city.  However, the arena being in Newark hasn't depressed attendance at all.  Our attendance at the CAA wasn't that great before we left for Newark.  While some from Bergen County will complain that they don't go to as many games as when they were at the CAA, others (myself included) picked up season tickets rather than going to 5-10 games per year because of the convenience of getting to/from the games.  We've debated this before, but Newark was the best place to put this arena.  The Meadowlands is good for tailgating, and nothing else (no viable mass transit options whatsoever), and Hoboken or New Brunswick are DISASTERS to get to on a regular night, let alone when 18,000 people in cars are trying to navigate their tiny streets to get to a game. 

IMO the problem isn't the arena or its location.  Rather, it is a combination of factors such as a relatively young and small fanbase, high costs of attending a game, a crowded professional sports marketplace all competiting for the same $$$'s, etc. 

It's a dumpy, ugly, crime riddled wasteland.

But the area that Devils fans need to access on a regular bases. The arena...the small little circle in and around the arena with a few bars and restaurants is relatively safe and secure. So that's fine. Nobody asks you to go any further than that. And if you do you're asking for trouble.

Hoboken is too small and not an automotive city.

Wouldn't have minded them staying at the meadowlands if they ever finished that god damn mall project. They have a train line out there now so Devils fans who commute to NYC could make it. If only they build that area up a bit more with some pre and post game entertainment venues. Like Xfinity outside the Philly venues.

Edited by '7'

It's a dumpy, ugly, crime riddled wasteland.

But the area that Devils fans need to access on a regular bases. The arena...the small little circle in and around the arena with a few bars and restaurants is relatively safe and secure. So that's fine. Nobody asks you to go any further than that. And if you do you're asking for trouble.

Hoboken is too small and not an automotive city.

Wouldn't have minded them staying at the meadowlands if they ever finished that god damn mall project. They have a train line out there now so Devils fans who commute to NYC could make it. If only they build that area up a bit more with some pre and post game entertainment venues. Like Xfinity outside the Philly venues.

This is 100% spot on with how Newark is.  Outside the bubble of the immediate area outside the Arena and a few blocks away, it is a wasteland.

I just wish some entertainment came around the area as well like the Xfinity as you mentioned in Philly.  That Championship plaza has been a complete waste and those "fan-fests" they have are a complete bore.  I really wonder if the new owners will try to turn that plaza into something special and upgrade the fan fest as I really dont want to pay for arena-priced beers, hear a sh!tty coverband, or play street hockey with 10 year olds.

This is 100% spot on with how Newark is. Outside the bubble of the immediate area outside the Arena and a few blocks away, it is a wasteland.

I just wish some entertainment came around the area as well like the Xfinity as you mentioned in Philly. That Championship plaza has been a complete waste and those "fan-fests" they have are a complete bore. I really wonder if the new owners will try to turn that plaza into something special and upgrade the fan fest as I really dont want to pay for arena-priced beers, hear a sh!tty coverband, or play street hockey with 10 year olds.

Agreed 100%. They could do so much more with Championship Plaza. The fan fests suck.

This is 100% spot on with how Newark is.  Outside the bubble of the immediate area outside the Arena and a few blocks away, it is a wasteland.

I just wish some entertainment came around the area as well like the Xfinity as you mentioned in Philly.  That Championship plaza has been a complete waste and those "fan-fests" they have are a complete bore.  I really wonder if the new owners will try to turn that plaza into something special and upgrade the fan fest as I really dont want to pay for arena-priced beers, hear a sh!tty coverband, or play street hockey with 10 year olds.

Unfortunately, it's just not worth the expense to build an Xfinity type place or anything close to it at the Rock, even assuming the real estate could be made available.  There are just not enough people would want to go there, much less be in the area to go there in the first place.

Newark's gone and it's never coming back.  There are still plenty of areas that can be gentrified in places that are already experiencing it that are closer to Manhattan, which is what really drives it.  Still, I'm fine with the Rock and the immediate area around it just as it is.  Maybe if they build another decent hotel in the area it might be enough to get a few more decent bars or restaurants to open around it, but that's pretty dicey.