NHL updates TOS - stat folks will love this

StarDew

I'm still not sure what to make of this. At first I thought it would suck but all the stats guys on twitter don't seem worried at all. Looks like Extra Skater may be getting a job though according to Elliotte Friedman:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/500350935085092865

"Have had a few questions about @ExtraSkater today. It was not an NHL-mandated shutdown. Maybe he was "Dellowed."

If that's the case good for him but I really hope if the NHL picked him up they will make their stats site available to the public. I appreciate sites like Behind the Net but the interface isn't great and it doesn't update nearly as fast.

Extraskater was my favorite site. Now it's offline. :( :( :(

All the other stats sites are absolutely TERRIBLE in the usability department.

I actually like (prefer) behindthe et but I don't look at the advanced stats that often enough to have noticed a major difference.

Like tri suggested it'd be silly for the nhl to just not allow users to take the stats for revenue reasons. Instead they probably look at it as a revenue opportunity by just including the stats in their sites already.

It'd be like a company that sells pizza ingredients one day having a lightbulb go off and say, "hey maybe we can make more money by just making the pizzas ourselves!"

• 5 weeks later...

I really didn't want to create a new thread mostly because I didn't think it was big enough to deserve it's own thread, but it is cool nonetheless.

Got this from another forum and it looks like the Rangers, as well as other teams, will be putting in microchips into their players jerseys to track their moves and speed for advanced stats.  Pretty interesting.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/read-the-rangers-will-wear-jerseys-with-computer-chips-this-season-to-track-movement/

I really didn't want to create a new thread mostly because I didn't think it was big enough to deserve it's own thread, but it is cool nonetheless.

Got this from another forum and it looks like the Rangers, as well as other teams, will be putting in microchips into their players jerseys to track their moves and speed for advanced stats.  Pretty interesting.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/read-the-rangers-will-wear-jerseys-with-computer-chips-this-season-to-track-movement/

whoa, now this is crazy.. i wonder how accurately it will work.

Habs Eye on the Prize had a post on tracking chips recently. Besides talking about the chips it mentions how SportVU which works great for basketball hasn't been able to adapt to hockey. Hopefully these chips can work out.

Back on topic of stat websites, two new ones have emerged recently. Progressive Hockey and War on Ice.

Habs Eye on the Prize had a post on tracking chips recently. Besides talking about the chips it mentions how SportVU which works great for basketball hasn't been able to adapt to hockey. Hopefully these chips can work out.

Back on topic of stat websites, two new ones have emerged recently. Progressive Hockey and War on Ice.

More accurate data is always a good thing so it's hard to see any downside to this.

I also really like the idea of having a chip implanted in the puck as that would make video review on many goals unnecessary when there's a chip that can alert officials automatically and with complete accuracy when it has crossed the goal line. Cases where the puck may have crossed the line, but is hidden from the view of cameras by a goaltender's glove or any other piece of equipment would no longer prevent accurate calls.

More accurate data is always a good thing so it's hard to see any downside to this.

I also really like the idea of having a chip implanted in the puck as that would make video review on many goals unnecessary when there's a chip that can alert officials automatically and with complete accuracy when it has crossed the goal line. Cases where the puck may have crossed the line, but is hidden from the view of cameras by a goaltender's glove or any other piece of equipment would no longer prevent accurate calls.

Not sure how that would be possible enless they were to put something magnetic in the puck and then some type of magnetic in the goal line .. but that seems like it may be getting a little crazy now the sport has done just fine all of these years the way its been theres no need to be getting that crazy with technology.

Not sure how that would be possible enless they were to put something magnetic in the puck and then some type of magnetic in the goal line .. but that seems like it may be getting a little crazy now the sport has done just fine all of these years the way its been theres no need to be getting that crazy with technology.

Not sure a magnet would be the right way to go. Regardless, this does increase the cost of pucks significantly and you need to verify that the pucks are actually accurate. I'm not sure the increased cost and effort would be worth it. 

Got this from another forum and it looks like the Rangers, as well as other teams, will be putting in microchips into their players jerseys to track their moves and speed for advanced stats. Pretty interesting.

hmm interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about this and the video tracking technology. I mean I'm all for trying to look at the game in new ways but does anyone else feel like we're going down a road that takes the humanity out if sports and are a few steps away from putting robots on the ice? Or maybe im reading too many sci fi books...