Expansion to Vegas Apparently "Done Deal"

Daniel

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jets were mindlessly hotshotted into Phoenix though. That franchise should've never left Winnipeg, but the NHL was just too enamored with the growing southern/western populations and thought more people = more hockey fans. Once this initial hype and newness wore off the Coyotes were dead. They've been a dead franchise for a decade or more. 

Vegas will be the same. Once the newness wears off they will be treated like a Vegas stage show that's run its course and is no longer popular. Only those shows are moved down the bill or cancelled...what is going to be done with this team?

It was more than that, economics were a big part.  For both the Jets and Nordiques moving.  The Canadian dollar was terrible, think it was something like $1CDN=$.65 US, both teams needed new arenas and the governments wouldn't foot the bill (not saying they should) and they couldn't find a local buyer.  The difference is, The Nords moved to a cold-weather city, where the NHL previously failed, and were successful immediately.  if the Nordiques moved to Phoenix, situation would probably be very different.

The league saw it coming for years.  The Atlanta owners had been feuding and suing one another for a long time.  They looked for buyers for a long time.  It didn't happen so they sold the team to True North and that was that.   Just like with Winnipeg - there were no buyers who were interested in keeping the team in Winnipeg.

Supposedly, they did have a local buyer lined up.  However, the group that bought the Hawks also bought the arena.  Or maybe it was the arena was sold to a different group.  Doesn't matter, but the new owners of the arena did not want the Thrashers.  Wanted to keep the dates open for other events.  That is when they realized they had no choice but to sell to True North.

Supposedly, they did have a local buyer lined up.  However, the group that bought the Hawks also bought the arena.  Or maybe it was the arena was sold to a different group.  Doesn't matter, but the new owners of the arena did not want the Thrashers.  Wanted to keep the dates open for other events.  That is when they realized they had no choice but to sell to True North.

Atlanta Spirit Group owned the Hawks, Thrashers, and the Phillips Arena.  Word around Atlanta was what they really wanted was 41 more open arena dates that were not tied to losing money on the Thrashers.  So no matter what alternative local ownership group may have come around, they were not going to make it easy to keep the team in the building.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/26/report-nhl-expansion-las-vegas-done-deal

I think it's an awful idea, but I'm usually wrong about these things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, you're right, this is a very bad idea. That only makes me more sure that it will happen AND Bettman will pour immense resources and effort into it trying to make it work.

Let's see what corny name they pick

My money is on:

Las Vegas Gamblers

Las Vegas High Rollers

Las Vegas Deuces

Las Vegas Aces

Las Vegas Chips*

*I really hope its this one

Well if we are gonna table "Las Vegas Deuces" then I think that the "Craps" nickname should should get a good, hard look. Don't want to flush a perfectly viable option down the toilet, right?

Nevada Hookers. Prostitution is legal in the state outside of Vegas AND it is a hockey term!

Oh wow, I like that one a lot! The sweaters would fly off the merchandise shelves. And the potential for additional marketing is awesome. Just think, they could run commercials encouraging everyone to go to the games and call it "Goin' Hooking". In Vegas, a player scoring three goals could be called "Turning a Hat Trick". oh boy, the possibilities are endless.

Worst idea. We've seen time and time again population numbers mean pretty much nothing when it comes to markets of considerable sizes. We have cities and markets we know will get people in the building, and grow large, legitimate fan bases, and they're gambling (no pun intended) on this gimmick. I hope if it actually happens, it fails immediately. Quebec deserves a team more than any city on the continent, and we know Seattle will do well. I can only hope if las Vegas happens, these cities aren't far behind

Oh wow, I like that one a lot! The sweaters would fly off the merchandise shelves. And the potential for additional marketing is awesome. Just think, they could run commercials encouraging everyone to go to the games and call it "Goin' Hooking". In Vegas, a player scoring three goals could be called "Turning a Hat Trick". oh boy, the possibilities are endless.

Would the fans be referred to as 'johns'? [emoji1]

Would the fans be referred to as 'johns'? [emoji1]

Only the guys, I think.....

This is good stuff. This would make an ideal humorous fake hockey team.