Training Camp invites

caron14

It's a tryout.  The idea is for the player to prove their ability.  The Devils have offered contracts to tryout players and they have not offered contracts to tryout players.

Also, Kaberle is not confirmed as an attendee of camp, just that he has a tryout offer.

To those who don't like this decision to invite Gomez to camp and are getting upset and bitching about it...why? It's just a tryout. There is NO risk. He's either going to continue his rapid decline, in which case we simply move on and everyone will forget this even happened five years down the line, or he'll somehow re-kindle some of his old magic, in which case we give him a contract. It's really nothing to complain about. 

I like the move. If it pays off, awesome. If not, who cares? 

Also, Kaberle is not confirmed as an attendee of camp, just that he has a tryout offer.

C'mon. 

Kaberle, 36, is hoping to return to the NHL and it’s all but official that he will be in camp with the Devils. - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/tomas-kaberle-also-in-line-for-training-camp-tryout-with-devils-gelinas-carter-still-unsigned-1.1076872#sthash.fhYAFK77.dpuf

He actually called the Devils according to the article. I remember always wanting Kaberle back in the early half of the (last) decade. Not now though. "All but official" sounds to me like its more likely than not hes at camp.

Edited by ghdi

It's good to have some semblance of competition at the outset of camp, we have a lot of veteran players who may feel like they're guaranteed a spot. Hopefully a hungry motivated Gomez pushes others too.

But I agree with tri, this seems like Lou just want to give a former devil one last chance for a job, even if it doesn't wind up with the devils, another team may see something they like.

You forgot 4, which is the most likely scenario - the Devils have an injury in training camp.  They don't have any backup if that happens - it's Severson and then a bunch of young kids.  I think Kaberle is there if A: there is an injury and B: Severson isn't better than him.  He'd basically play the Albelin role.

Kaberle doesn't make sense unless one of these scenarios go down:

1) They trade one of the kids

2) They trade Harold

3) They give him a two-way contract

You forgot 4, which is the most likely scenario - the Devils have an injury in training camp.  They don't have any backup if that happens - it's Severson and then a bunch of young kids.  I think Kaberle is there if A: there is an injury and B: Severson isn't better than him.  He'd basically play the Albelin role.

There's also the small matter of Gelinas not actually being signed yet.  If he's a holdout they'll absolutely need another body.

Besides 05-06 Gomez has never cracked 20 goals. If he can still take the puck into the zone like he used to then he could possibly help. I'm not really all that mad about it.

This is the issue for me: if he can return to being just half the setup man he once was then I'd take it in a heartbeat. We are in desperate need in scoring and having someone who can set plays up is a huge part of that equation. Hopefully camp will show what, if anything he has left. If the tank is empty then pass, but if not then let's get whatever good he has left. As for the past I'm not angry either. I was when he left, but as others have written, he has been humbled so completely that it is difficult to be yet another person in the "told ya so" category. Sadly he and us would have likely been better served by him staying, but he didn't so that is that....

If Kaberle or Gomez makes the team, they'll be paid almost nothing and they will be there just to fill an empty roster spot, if there happens to be one.

It's not like they are giving Gomez Jagr's job. This is a total non-factor.

i was thinking the same thing... Kaberle will fight for the 7th D spot (maybe he will beat HArrold)

Gomez i dont know... Maybe He will take gionta's spot... (If he play well) 

I think tryouts for ex-Devils are different than say a tryout for Matt Darche, but usually veteran tryouts have led to contracts. Unless Scott Gomez has a really sh!tty camp, I expect him to get a deal. Lou had looked at bringing him a year or two ago. I don't think Gomez will have to do much to win a job.

I'm thinking ahead and seeing which player has to go with Gomez getting spot. It won't be Zubrus or Ruutu or Gionta. Those are guys who are judged differently than the Brunner or Josefson's of the world. Those are guys you don't worry about in traning camp or pre-season.

The forward position was crowded already before you add whatever Gomez brings, which probably isn't much. And, sure, you can say that those two didn't much either last year. Right, but if you want to upgrade, there were other ways to do it.

I think tryouts for ex-Devils are different than say a tryout for Matt Darche, but usually veteran tryouts have led to contracts. Unless Scott Gomez has a really sh!tty camp, I expect him to get a deal. Lou had looked at bringing him a year or two ago. I don't think Gomez will have to do much to win a job.

I'm thinking ahead and seeing which player has to go with Gomez getting spot. It won't be Zubrus or Ruutu or Gionta. Those are guys who are judged differently than the Brunner or Josefson's of the world. Those are guys you don't worry about in traning camp or pre-season.

The forward position was crowded already before you add whatever Gomez brings, which probably isn't much. And, sure, you can say that those two didn't much either last year. Right, but if you want to upgrade, there were other ways to do it.

No, they haven't.  The Devils gave these players tryouts in my memory:

Marcus Nilson, Adam Mair, Andrew Peters, Anton Stralman, Petr Sykora, Mathieu Darche.  Nilson, Stralman, and Darche did not get contracts.  In addition, the Devils signed Fedor Fedorov only to let him go after camp, and they signed Brendan Shanahan only to do the same.  People like Steve Bernier don't really count - Bernier got an AHL deal and worked that into an NHL deal.  Dean McAmmond did the same thing.

Sykora had to do a lot to earn a contract, imo.  He scored goals in scrimmages and in preseason.  I don't think he would've been handed a deal, and the Devils didn't give him a deal the next year.  People think they're no good at seeing when players are done, but they really aren't that bad at it.  What they're typically bad at is signing those players to long contracts in the first place.

Edited by Triumph

No, they haven't.  The Devils gave these players tryouts in my memory:

Marcus Nilson, Adam Mair, Andrew Peters, Anton Stralman, Petr Sykora, Mathieu Darche.  Nilson, Stralman, and Darche did not get contracts.  In addition, the Devils signed Fedor Fedorov only to let him go after camp, and they signed Brendan Shanahan only to do the same.  People like Steve Bernier don't really count - Bernier got an AHL deal and worked that into an NHL deal.  Dean McAmmond did the same thing.

Sykora had to do a lot to earn a contract, imo.  He scored goals in scrimmages and in preseason.  I don't think he would've been handed a deal, and the Devils didn't give him a deal the next year.  People think they're no good at seeing when players are done, but they really aren't that bad at it.  What they're typically bad at is signing those players to long contracts in the first place.

I counted Dean and Bernier, but I guess you are right. Albelin had a hang-on-we'll-find-a-spot-for-you situation for a year or two if memory serves me correct. Was Niedermayer a camp tryout or just a very late signing by the Devils?

As for Gomez, it really depends on what they are expecting. If Lou thought Gomez looked good against the Devils last year, well that player could make the team. But that's really not a good player.