Training Camp invites

caron14

I counted Dean and Bernier, but I guess you are right. Albelin had a hang-on-we'll-find-a-spot-for-you situation for a year or two if memory serves me correct. Was Niedermayer a camp tryout or just a very late signing by the Devils?

As for Gomez, it really depends on what they are expecting. If Lou thought Gomez looked good against the Devils last year, well that player could make the team. But that's really not a good player.

It looks it went thus - Albelin was signed to a 2 year deal in 2001 (I think).  He played in 2001-02.  Then in 2002-03, NJ demoted him initially and kept Zyuzin, then they demoted Zyuzin and Albelin was back to being a 7th D.  In 2003-04, NJ signed Albelin to a tryout and then offered him an NHL deal at the end of that tryout.  In 2005-06, they signed him 3 days after Malakhov played his last game in NJ (i.e. in desperation).  Niedermayer was not a camp tryout; they signed him to a deal during camp.  They should've had him try out because he was awful.

The Devils don't have center depth behind their 5 guys.  Right now to me they have 5 NHL centers, 2 of whom really haven't proven themselves above a 4th line role:  Zajac, Elias, Henrique, S. Gionta, Josefson.  Beyond that, it is a total wasteland - it's either Zubrus or Ruutu, and Zubrus demonstrated he does not belong at center anymore in the NHL last year - or Sestito, Pelley, or goddamn Graham Black.  They are really up a creek if Zajac or Elias gets hurt for significant time.  Now I don't think Gomez is willing to sign a two-way deal, but he may not have a choice unless his camp goes spectacularly - if he's willing to play in Albany to start the year, provided there are no injuries at forward, I think that's a potentially good signing.  He'll be a placeholder in case of injuries.  I don't want him signed to a one-way with the notion that he will be getting NHL time out of the gate unless he really impresses at camp, which I find unlikely.

Edited by Triumph

Yeah, I'm done hating on Gomez. What his career has spiraled into is punishment enough, for someone who was a very likable player during his time here. If anything, it's a shame..

That being said, I hope he doesn't make the team and quietly fades out into the night.

Gomez and now Kaberle has been talking with the Devils about a tryout... any other incredibly struggling player out there we could try?

And yet one of the guys you complain about Lou losing (Sykora) made the team that way and did contribute, as we all know and as been pointed out in this thread.

That being said, I can't say I'm expecting much of anything from either player.  Gomer seems to be in the "started young/ending young" category.  Tri pointed out a while back how guys who play regularly starting at 18-20 years old have a way of being toast by the time they reach their mid-30s (if they play that long). 

A lot of complaining in here over something that is absolutely no risk. Who cares what happened a decade ago, if he has something left in the tank and can help this team out then by all means sign him to a cheap deal. Lets see how he looks in camp.

Edited by Zubie#8

A lot of complaining in here over something that is absolutely no risk. Who cares what happened a decade ago, if he has something left in the tank and can help this team out then by all means sign him to a cheap deal. Lets see how he looks in camp.

Pressure's all on the players.  Devils don't need them if they've got nothing left and I expect if neither gives the Devils much of a reason to keep them around, they'll be shown the door pretty quickly.  I don't think either one is getting a deal "just because".

what some of us are concerned about is them giving him a spot over one of our younger players.. this coaching staff loves to choose the old crusty veteran players over the young talent as weve seen constantly.

And yet one of the guys you complain about Lou losing (Sykora) made the team that way and did contribute, as we all know and as been pointed out in this thread.

That being said, I can't say I'm expecting much of anything from either player.  Gomer seems to be in the "started young/ending young" category.  Tri pointed out a while back how guys who play regularly starting at 18-20 years old have a way of being toast by the time they reach their mid-30s (if they play that long). 

Listen, do i have to take your hand and explain to you again what i meant? Seems like i explained it to you i'd say 15 times at the very least. 

Was it Sykora himself i complained he lost? No. of course not he was getting slow and older. It was his "production" we were gonna miss. Do i have to run down and resume you a list of all the guys we lost at that time and then give you the list of the guys he got to patch the hole it created? 

I'll resume you this. 3 30 goals scorers and like 2-3 20+ goals scorers were on the team that went to the cup finals. Lost all those guys for nothing. Then we we're at the bottom of the league in goals since then.

but yeah. my complaining doesnt make sense. And again, i did not come out complaining about sh!t. You made it happen once again, you just can't help it.

Edited by SterioDesign

Listen, do i have to take your hand and explain to you again what i meant? Seems like i explained it to you i'd say 15 times at the very least. 

Was it Sykora himself i complained he lost? No. of course not he was getting slow and older. It was his "production" we were gonna miss. Do i have to run down and resume you a list of all the guys we lost at that time and then give you the list of the guys he got to patch the hole it created? 

I'll resume you this. 3 30 goals scorers and like 2-3 20+ goals scorers were on the team that went to the cup finals. Lost all those guys for nothing. Then we we're at the bottom of the league in goals since then.

but yeah. my complaining doesnt make sense. And again, i did not come out complaining about sh!t. You made it happen once again, you just can't help it.

The point he made was a good one.  You complain about the loss of Sykora's scoring, but Sykora was a total afterthought in the preseason - none of thought he was going to make the team, and then he went out and scored 20 goals on a team that suffered injuries early and was made worse when Tedenby and Palmieri completely crapped the bed.

The Devils scored 197 goals in 2014.  They scored 214 goals in 2012.  But yes, I agree, the Devils lost all these scorers for nothing, never replaced any of them, and are totally lost in the wilderness now.

Edited by Triumph

The point he made was a good one.  You complain about the loss of Sykora's scoring, but Sykora was a total afterthought in the preseason - none of thought he was going to make the team, and then he went out and scored 20 goals on a team that suffered injuries early and was made worse when Tedenby and Palmieri completely crapped the bed.

The Devils scored 197 goals in 2014.  They scored 214 goals in 2012.  But yes, I agree, the Devils lost all these scorers for nothing, never replaced any of them, and are totally lost in the wilderness now.

did i ever said didnt replace ANY of the production that left? stop putting words in my mouth buddy. But if you think we succesfully replaced all that production and what those guys were bringing, not too sure what to tell ya. But again, i suspect you never watch any games anyway and strictly look at stats afterward so how would you know what else they bring.

Since you like numbers can you find the comparaison from that season shootout goals we scored too compared to last year please? Cause yeah, it might be only a few goals difference but we ALL KNOW it made a huge difference in the standings and us making the playoffs or not.

did i ever said didnt replace ANY of the production that left? stop putting words in my mouth buddy. But if you think we succesfully replaced all that production and what those guys were bringing, not too sure what to tell ya. But again, i suspect you never watch any games anyway and strictly look at stats afterward so how would you know what else they bring.

Since you like numbers can you find the comparaison from that season shootout goals we scored too compared to last year please? Cause yeah, it might be only a few goals difference but we ALL KNOW it made a huge difference in the standings and us making the playoffs or not.

I actually do think the Devils have successfully replaced that production.  I would not be surprised if they scored 214 goals this year.  Because that team was AWFUL apart from 7 players.  You yammer about 30 goal scorers and 20 goal scorers forgetting that they had a bunch of guys who brought 0 goals.  Tedenby, 1 goal.  Carter, 4 goals.  Josefson, 2 goals.  Bernier, 1 goal.  Janssen, Boulton - 0 goals.  And their defensemen scored a combined 15 goals - last year NJ's D scored 35.  I don't think they will score 35 again, but 25 wouldn't be outrageous.

Yes, the Devils shootout was worse last year, but obviously it shouldn't've been that bad.  And it shouldn't've been as good as it was in 2012.  

Also I bet you watched the games so close that you can remember every single goal individually, and that's how you have such a good grasp of who scored how many goals.

I actually do think the Devils have successfully replaced that production.  I would not be surprised if they scored 214 goals this year.  Because that team was AWFUL apart from 7 players.  You yammer about 30 goal scorers and 20 goal scorers forgetting that they had a bunch of guys who brought 0 goals.  Tedenby, 1 goal.  Carter, 4 goals.  Josefson, 2 goals.  Bernier, 1 goal.  Janssen, Boulton - 0 goals.  And their defensemen scored a combined 15 goals - last year NJ's D scored 35.  I don't think they will score 35 again, but 25 wouldn't be outrageous.

Yes, the Devils shootout was worse last year, but obviously it shouldn't've been that bad.  And it shouldn't've been as good as it was in 2012.  

Also I bet you watched the games so close that you can remember every single goal individually, and that's how you have such a good grasp of who scored how many goals.

i certainly remember and know that those guys scoring over 30 goals we're guys that "had it" they could find ways to put it in, they we're doing things that other guys couldnt. How can anyone deny we didnt have enough guys who can put it in the net last year? 

Sykora and Ryder can be a wash for example. both are slow but have a deadly shot. Who's there to score all the garbage goals Zach and Clarky scored? we have no one who's that great around the net. Kovy was scoring goals that no one else was able to score too. Were certainly not a well structured team right now.

It's also a matter of having a big scorer on your line opening things up for other guys. It's about having a 30 goals scorer on each of the 3 top lines.  

You basically made a sarcastic comment about the Devils looking for has-beens to bring into camp.  All I did was point out that bringing in one of those has-beens actually did work out for the Devils, in Sykora's case...enough so that you bitched about losing his "production" after he was gone.  Like I said, I don't think we'll see more of the same with Gomez and Kaberle.  I don't think even Lou himself ever thought he'd get 21 goals out of Sykora...or 82 regular season games for that matter. 

i certainly remember and know that those guys scoring over 30 goals we're guys that "had it" they could find ways to put it in, they we're doing things that other guys couldnt. How can anyone deny we didnt have enough guys who can put it in the net last year? 

Sykora and Ryder can be a wash for example. both are slow but have a deadly shot. Who's there to score all the garbage goals Zach and Clarky scored? we have no one who's that great around the net. Kovy was scoring goals that no one else was able to score too. Were certainly not a well structured team right now.

It's also a matter of having a big scorer on your line opening things up for other guys. It's about having a 30 goals scorer on each of the 3 top lines.  

No one has a 30 goal scorer on each of their top 3 lines.  It's insane to think that you can compose a team that way.  21 players scored 30 goals in 2013-14.  No team had 3 30 goal scorers.

As for garbage goal men - Henrique has done well with that, Clowe, Cammalleri could get some, Ruutu is a guy they traded for specifically for his ability to do this.

The team is way better structured now than it was at the beginning of 2011-12.  That team had a bad Tedenby and bad Palmieri on it.  It did not have Zajac.  That team basically had 7 forwards they trusted, and they ran all the forwards into the ground - it's possible that part of the reason the Devils were so poor in the Finals was that the forwards were worn out by all that playing.  Right now while NJ has players I don't want to see out late in games when they're ahead, it has 12 competent forwards, which is several more than they had at that point.  That was not a good team - it got by on shootout luck.  NJ is better now than they were then.