Training Camp invites

caron14

i am happy he is getting a tryout. you never know and maybe he will be rejuventated. the playing for the rangers thing doesnt bother me. i dont hold grudges against sykora, holik, driver and maclean over it either

Mac was already a team removed from the Devils when he went to the Rangers.  As was Sykora, who was traded to them, so how anyone could hold a grudge against Sykora is a mystery.

Driver, Holik, Gomez...what are you going to do?  The Devils got the best value out of all three of those players, especially since they weren't dumb enough to make the age-old GM mistake of playing good players like Holik and Gomez superstar dollars.  The funny thing is Holik's and Gomez's Ranger numbers weren't that bad...about in line with what they had done as Devils, really, but expectations rose to unfair levels by virtue of the Rangers' gross overpayment of both players. 

Those two got more money than they ever could've dreamed of...I can't kill them for it.  At the same time, I can't say I'll ever be a big fan of Gomez if he somehow makes the team...I know he's a bit of a doofus, but the Devils got a lot out of him and he got to be part of two Cup winners...I think he could've been a little more appreciative of that, instead of letting Sather say that the Devils didn't use him properly.  But who am I to question the genius that is Sather...his two-decade plan to bring the Rangers another Cup seems to be taking shape.  :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat about not really holding a grudge against him anymore. Hell I stopped holding a grudge against him a year into his Ranger contract as it was pretty clear by then he will never play anywhere near what he was being paid. He always seemed like the player who would do best under a well disciplined system and maybe now he has finally realized that. I see this signing as pretty much no risk and we could find our Sykora 2.0 this year or at worse we just be done with him for good with no mystery remaining:

I never loved him when he was here. He always seemed a little indifferent/lazy. Obviously can't prove it, but something about him rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't really embrace him enough to get hurt when he took the money, so I'll continue to kinda not like him. May the best man win, but I'm hoping Josefson blows him away.

im hoping he does not take a spot away from josefson or another one of our young guys that deserves to be in the line up, thats what my concern is this coaching staff is known to put in the old men over the younger guys and i dont want him slotted into a spot if he really shouldnt be. At this point iam guessing carter is not coming back, anyone hear anything on what his status in general is?

I see the 3C spot up for grabs, assuming DeBoer doesn't put Henrique there.

I think Lou is bringing Gomez in for camp competition, but also to see what he has left. Assuming Josefson isn't a complete disaster in training camp/preseason, I think the job is his.  The first dozen or so games will be crucial.  If JJ flops then I could see Lou giving Gomez a call (if he feels Gomez can still contribute).

I see the 3C spot up for grabs, assuming DeBoer doesn't put Henrique there.

I think Lou is bringing Gomez in for camp competition, but also to see what he has left. Assuming Josefson isn't a complete disaster in training camp/preseason, I think the job is his.  The first dozen or so games will be crucial.  If JJ flops then I could see Lou giving Gomez a call (if he feels Gomez can still contribute).

Gomez is not like bringing in a guy who was playing oversea or wtv. He was right here in the NHL the past few seasons and we saw what he was about

Scotty was my favorite Devils player (other than Marty) for a long time.  It was the first jersey I had as a kid (i'm 23).  I don't have it anymore..

BUT 

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The guy just doesn't seem to have it anymore. 

It's just a tryout.  If he doesn't have it anymore, this experiment won't last long.  Lou's no dummy...he's seen the same numbers we all have, and they all point to Gomer having very little left.  It's on Scott to prove everyone wrong, or prove he can adapt to a different role.  If he can't, soyonara, no harm, no foul. 

Gomez is not like bringing in a guy who was playing oversea or wtv. He was right here in the NHL the past few seasons and we saw what he was about

Yeah, he has sucked for the last 3,4 years, which is fair.  It's probably just a favor, but the guy still has speed and would probably help with zone entries.

How do you know Carter is holding out? Perhaps he's waiting on Lou to move some forwards and yet already have a deal in place?

Also, people are way overblowing this Gomez thing. It's a tryout, nothing more nothing less and if Gomez does indeed outplay JJ of a spot then I wouldn't feel bad for Josefson at all. He needs to step up and prove he can be an asset to the team for a change.

Yeah, he has sucked for the last 3,4 years, which is fair.  It's probably just a favor, but the guy still has speed and would probably help with zone entries.

True.  I have seldom seen a guy break the opposing team's blueline with the ease Scott Gomez used to do it with.  He was one of the best!

Well I'll just say it -- Gomez is an a$$hole.

He lacks the ability to learn - everything was intuitive. He's learned nothing. With age came the attempt at actual thought - thus failure because he's a damm moron.  Functioning ...with a nice vocabulary but he's an idiot. It's honestly disturbing to me.  as I just told a friend I just find it intolerable that you can't fix stupid. 

barnie.gif

Josh Rimer is reporting that Jordin Tootoo will be in Devils' camp.  He was compliance bought out by the Red Wings this summer after being demoted last year.  2 seasons ago he had 30 points and he's still only 31 years old but I imagine he's older than his age and he wasn't exactly tearing up the AHL during his demotion.

Tootoo makes the 4th player in Devils' camp who was compliance bought out - Havlat, Gomez, and Kaberle were all also released from onerous contracts by their parent club.

Edited by Triumph