Training Camp invites

caron14

Understood regarding Lou, It is sad how he is so confused.

He's not confused. If he was confused, Marty would be here right now. However, I think in a situation where Cory goes down long term, Lou would go for the guy who he knows instead of what else is out there. Currently, what else is out there consists of Thomas, Bryzgalov, Khabibulin, and Vokoun.

• Like 1

He's not confused. If he was confused, Marty would be here right now. However, I think in a situation where Cory goes down long term, Lou would go for the guy who he knows instead of what else is out there. Currently, what else is out there consists of Thomas, Bryzgalov, Khabibulin, and Vokoun.

Marty is not and will never be a solution should Cory go down because of injury. Devils could end the season as a loser not making the playoffs with Marty as the replacement goalie.

Marty is not and will never be a solution should Cory go down because of injury. Devils could end the season as a loser not making the playoffs with Marty as the replacement goalie.

If Cory gets hurt long terrm relatively early in the season, the Devils are not making the playoffs. Marty coming back would not be about having a viable replacement. It would be about him retiring as a Devil and maybe getting to 700 wins. I could live with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1) Most of these guys are in camp because their agents requested tryouts. 2) None of them are making the team unless they blow somebody away. These guys are competition for the kids and insurance in case they look like crap. The roster is pretty much set with very few openings, especially at forward. 

of course but why are we the only team accepting ALL those invites? it's ridiculous. Find me a close 2nd team in the league coming close to get as much old vets on a tryout. There's a few of those guys that if some guys are traded i wouldnt mind seeing on our team for a year.

But the fact remains that someone got on my case as if I was making up that Lou had a thing for veterans having to prove themselves. Not exactly sure how anyone can deny that. Not even saying it's a bad thing, but it's certainly a thing

Edited by SterioDesign

of course but why are we the only team accepting ALL those invites? it's ridiculous. Find me a close 2nd team in the league coming close to get as much old vets on a tryout. There's a few of those guys that if some guys are traded i wouldnt mind seeing on our team for a year.

But the fact remains that someone got on my case as if I was making up that Lou had a thing for veterans having to prove themselves. Not exactly sure how anyone can deny that. Not even saying it's a bad thing, but it's certainly a thing

Let me ask you a question SD: is there anything Lou can do that you WON'T complain about?

It pushes guys at camp which is a good thing, but it also builds a relationship with agents. Getting their clients jobs is how they put food on the table. Lou is helping these guys out by providing an opportunity to find a home here or possibly somewhere else. Just take for example Stralman, just look how that worked out, not only for the player, but the agent. I am sure Lou earned some points from that agent after he just signed that TB deal. Who knows what would have happened had he not been invited to camp that year.

Let me ask you a question SD: is there anything Lou can do that you WON'T complain about?

There's bunch of stuff that Lou does that i support, he's a genius and when he does something right i'm the first to say he did great, wouldn't have want anyone else as a GM for the last 20 years other than him.

The difference is that i'm also willing to admit when he does things that can hurt the team. This is where a bunch of fans here a turning their heads and are making excuses for him as if he can't do anything wrong and twisting what they think "things should be" the way Lou doesnt things. It's basically like a bunch of super religious people protecting their god.

It's not cause I don't support some stuff he does and don't agree with some of his ideas that I hate the guy or anything. He's stubborn to death, I hate it and when that stubbornness is hurting the team when im voicing it. His stubbornness also helped the team at time but again, i have no problem giving him credits when its due, nothing wrong with that.

I said this before but Lou is like George Lucas and Steve Jobs... some fans are blinded by their accomplishments and can't accept any critics and some can't stand the way they do things but still love the product and will support it their whole life. It's identical. 

Edited by SterioDesign

There's bunch of stuff that Lou does that i support, he's a genius and when he does something right i'm the first to say he did great, wouldn't have want anyone else as a GM for the last 20 years other than him.

The difference is that i'm also willing to admit when he does things that can hurt the team. This is where a bunch of fans here a turning their heads and are making excuses for him as if he can't do anything wrong and twisting what they think "things should be" the way Lou doesnt things. It's basically like a bunch of super religious people protecting their god.

It's not cause I don't support some stuff he does and don't agree with some of his ideas that I hate the guy or anything. He's stubborn to death, I hate it and when that stubbornness is hurting the team when im voicing it. His stubbornness also helped the team at time but again, i have no problem giving him credits when its due, nothing wrong with that.

I said this before but Lou is like George Lucas and Steve Jobs... some fans are blinded by their accomplishments and can't accept any critics and some can't stand the way they do things but still love the product and will support it their whole life. It's identical. 

This is where you're continually off-base.  What we understand is that there's no such thing as perfection in the GM business.  We also understand that GMs who are on the job seemingly forever are eventually going to experience a dry spell...especially since, by virtue of constantly being competitive, they're never in a position to draft a generational talent like a Crosby, or the guys who aren't quite that good, but are still way up there.  And as we've seen in multiple sports (the Yankees are Exhibit A in this regard), to keep trying to remain competitive, sometimes you have to make moves for the present, some of which are outright gambles.  It's easy to say "tear it all down and rebuild", but rebuilds will never be a sure path to success...it's more of a last resort, when you have a core that all got old at the same time in the course of a season or two, there's nothing in the farm, and there's simply no other choice.  There are teams that start to rebuild that never seem to stop.  But no matter what a GM does, no matter what approach he takes, it's simply impossible to keep hitting home runs. 

We know what's led the Devils to this point to an extent.  For quite some time, players were coming through the Devils' system and contributing (even undrafted ones), either as Devils, or as pieces for other players.  It was a great pipeline.  They had a goalie and a D-corp that was led by two eventual Hall Of Famers.  Lately the pipeline hasn't been flowing as heavily, and some guys (like Stevens and Niedermayer, and Brodeur in his prime) are just damned near impossible to replace.  That's led Lou to have to do things that I don't think he's terribly comfortable with...like dipping into the UFA market.  

The last decade hasn't been as kind to Lou, but again, it's so hard to continually stay on top, and what makes you hard to take at times are the sarcastic jabs you take at Lou...like when another team locks up a potential UFA before he goes UFA...and the way you sometimes ignore circumstances (like a new CBA being in place that makes it easier to keep UFAs, the VBK's financial woes, Kovy deciding to take a hike, etc).  You hold Lou to a standard that some of us feel is simply not reasonable.  Your comment about his "stubbornness" says it all...Lou's approach is fine when it's helping the team, but when it's not, then it's no good.  How can anybody win with you if that's your attitude?  There is NO approach that will EVER be effective 100% of the time, and all of the second-guessing, snide remarks and hindsight criticism won't ever change that.  And whether you realize it or not, you criticize Lou a LOT (far more than you give him credit)...enough that people notice it that lead to you continually getting into debates over it, with you usually ending up looking unappreciative and unfair, and simply impossible to please. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Very interested to see what happens with Kaberle and Komisarek. I like the idea of some competition, but if Kaberle, especially, makes the team, just another logjam waiting to happen.

I'm sure Kaberle could bring something to the table, but at the expense of alienating Larsson or Gelinas, I don't think it be great. If it's Kaberle vs Harold, by all means, battle it out. Not sure Kaberle wants to stick around to be a 7th man though.

Then there is sh!tty Komisarek. All off-season I thought Lou would eventually bring some "snot" in as the Salvador insurance. It looked like we were home free until Komi got an invite. You have to expect Salvador gets hurt, and I hope that isn't weighing on anyone's mind. There is nothing he brings to the table.

Hoping that one was just a favour to an agent and nothing more.

Very interested to see what happens with Kaberle and Komisarek. I like the idea of some competition, but if Kaberle, especially, makes the team, just another logjam waiting to happen.

I'm sure Kaberle could bring something to the table, but at the expense of alienating Larsson or Gelinas, I don't think it be great. If it's Kaberle vs Harold, by all means, battle it out. Not sure Kaberle wants to stick around to be a 7th man though.

Then there is sh!tty Komisarek. All off-season I thought Lou would eventually bring some "snot" in as the Salvador insurance. It looked like we were home free until Komi got an invite. You have to expect Salvador gets hurt, and I hope that isn't weighing on anyone's mind. There is nothing he brings to the table.

Hoping that one was just a favour to an agent and nothing more.

The Devils are in a weird spot with their 7th D - Harrold was capable in that role last year, but he also was injured twice and missed a lot of the year.  Behind that it's Severson, Helgeson, Burlon, and Kelly.  I think it's really that Severson has to beat out Kaberle, Mamachev, and Komisarek - otherwise they will sign one of these guys and find a way to either keep 8 D on the roster or start one out in the minors, because it could get really dire if either Greene or Merrill is injured.

This is where you're continually off-base.  What we understand is that there's no such thing as perfection in the GM business.  We also understand that GMs who are on the job seemingly forever are eventually going to experience a dry spell...especially since, by virtue of constantly being competitive, they're never in a position to draft a generational talent like a Crosby, or the guys who aren't quite that good, but are still way up there.  And as we've seen in multiple sports (the Yankees are Exhibit A in this regard), to keep trying to remain competitive, sometimes you have to make moves for the present, some of which are outright gambles.  It's easy to say "tear it all down and rebuild", but rebuilds will never be a sure path to success...it's more of a last resort, when you have a core that all got old at the same time in the course of a season or two, there's nothing in the farm, and there's simply no other choice.  There are teams that start to rebuild that never seem to stop.  But no matter what a GM does, no matter what approach he takes, it's simply impossible to keep hitting home runs. 

We know what's led the Devils to this point to an extent.  For quite some time, players were coming through the Devils' system and contributing (even undrafted ones), either as Devils, or as pieces for other players.  It was a great pipeline.  They had a goalie and a D-corp that was led by two eventual Hall Of Famers.  Lately the pipeline hasn't been flowing as heavily, and some guys (like Stevens and Niedermayer, and Brodeur in his prime) are just damned near impossible to replace.  That's led Lou to have to do things that I don't think he's terribly comfortable with...like dipping into the UFA market.  

The last decade hasn't been as kind to Lou, but again, it's so hard to continually stay on top, and what makes you hard to take at times are the sarcastic jabs you take at Lou...like when another team locks up a potential UFA before he goes UFA...and the way you sometimes ignore circumstances (like a new CBA being in place that makes it easier to keep UFAs, the VBK's financial woes, Kovy deciding to take a hike, etc).  You hold Lou to a standard that some of us feel is simply not reasonable.  Your comment about his "stubbornness" says it all...Lou's approach is fine when it's helping the team, but when it's not, then it's no good.  How can anybody win with you if that's your attitude?  There is NO approach that will EVER be effective 100% of the time, and all of the second-guessing, snide remarks and hindsight criticism won't ever change that.  And whether you realize it or not, you criticize Lou a LOT (far more than you give him credit)...enough that people notice it that lead to you continually getting into debates over it, with you usually ending up looking unappreciative and unfair, and simply impossible to please. 

my remarks are not really what you're making them to be.

Here's a scenario for example. Me saying i'd like to see Lou approach and talk contracts with "some guys" during the season, for various reasons I think it's a better approach or something to consider. (we've been doing it QUITE a few times).

Based on reports from him, players, agents and all (well at least back then) Lou was believe to want to wait after the season or before the season, not during the season. So that was what he had as far as information. So fans took that as "the way to go" making excuses to justify that it was the best course of action... risk of injuries and all kind of excuses but it was the way to go and that no GM would do such things. And those posters here were calling me out on my opinion that he should adjust and i've been called out pretty bad. This is where it really begin.

So then, when another GM actually re-sign a core player or do one of the thing that i've been suggesting or called out for suggesting and that the team benefits from that kind of move. Well do you think i'm gonna stay silent and not bring it up like "See, it's really not crazy". And the other way around when Lou does something that im not supporting and that it bites the team in the ass and that again, i've been called crazy for been against it. Do you really expect me to just sit there and not bring it up? I mean honestly?

Another funny thing is the posters who defends something... like why it's dumb to talk contracts and all during the season and make a case about it... and then when reports came out that he actually talked with a player during the season they'll throw me. "See you've been whining for nothing he's actually doing it!"...... so then suddenly it's fine that he does it in their mind... but they where bashing that principle not too long before cause that's the way Lou was doing it (well they thought)

Get this, im not against Lou. I don't agree with "some" way he does things. And then there's people who will defend wtv he does willing to contradict themselves. It happened QUITE a few times.

Edited by SterioDesign

The Devils are in a weird spot with their 7th D - Harrold was capable in that role last year, but he also was injured twice and missed a lot of the year.  Behind that it's Severson, Helgeson, Burlon, and Kelly.  I think it's really that Severson has to beat out Kaberle, Mamachev, and Komisarek - otherwise they will sign one of these guys and find a way to either keep 8 D on the roster or start one out in the minors, because it could get really dire if either Greene or Merrill is injured.

It will be just as dire if Komisarek is the one to replace them. The thought of him and Salvador. Please suck in camp. If Kaberle makes the team, it will create issues if players are healthy. Competition is great, but not if it is isn't fair either. Even it is fair, and I guess there would be a problem if Kaberle outplayed Larsson, but is it worth possibly losing Larsson because Kaberle is a tiny bit better than him in for one year.

The forward spots just makes my head spin.