Are the Devils breaking an old tradition?

Daniel

SD, I swear, some of the stuff you come up with...sometimes you sound like someone who's roughly half the age you claim to be (early 30s I believe).

Just accept that a 72-year-old who's used to doing things a certain way for a long time and who had considerable success doing things that way probably isn't going to have the epiphany that you seem to be wishing for and suddenly do things the SD way (whatever way that is).  The good news for you is that the LL era is in its waning years...he's can only fight off the inevitability of nature for so long, and like I've said in previous posts, I don't think this ownership is as firmly in his corner as prior owners were.  I wouldn't be all that surprised if he's out if the Devils don't make the playoffs again this season...it will be presented amicably and as painlessly as possible (with Lou resigning or stepping down), but I can't say I would be shocked to see it happen.  And I do think the post-LL Devils will be much different...not necessarily better or worse, but most definitely different.

So since you're also so much older than me (early 40s i believe) and so much more mature why can't you show me the way by not bitching everything i say and accept that we simply have a different point of view on some stuff. I like Lou but I DON'T drink the kool aid and make excuses for the stupide stuff he does, i'm gonna call a cat a cat, when he does something great i'm giving him credits. If you want to look the other way protecting everything he does an forge your reality and common sense around what Lou does. Fine. But stop whining every time i say something you do not agree with. You're opinion is no better than mine here.

Edited by SterioDesign

That's the thing.  For every Rangers Liberty jersey there is the Wild Wing, Burger King, Salmon Vancouver, the unreleased trumpet Blues, Islanders Fishsticks, Buffaslug, Buffalo Motocross, etc. jersey.  Odds are the 3rd jersey either be lame or embarassing.

Honestly the Devils should just wear the normal jerseys for every game in the year with 2 retro nights.  One where they wear the red retro and one with the white retro and just do that.  Also make sure the authenic Edge 2.0 versions are available for retail as well as premier replicas instead of forcing fans into the CCM Team Classics or Vintage line.

Agree completely.  No need for a 3rd jersey as they are usually lame and/or ugly.  Using the 1980's style christmas tree jerseys as our 3rd's is fine with me.

I don't mind the concept behind using all low numbers but I do wish Lou would allow some of the guys moving in and out of the lineup to establish a number and keep it. I also don't like seeing a number worn by two different players in a given season.   When I'm at the arena, I honestly lose track of who I'm watching sometimes, especially when I'm in the upper deck and can't read the name easily.   Who is wearing #16 tonight? Josefson, D'Agonstini, Tedenby, Halischuk?   Numbers like 21 and 22 seem to have that issue as well at times.     

"Agree completely. No need for a 3rd jersey as they are usually lame and/or ugly. Using the 1980's style christmas tree jerseys as our 3rd's is fine with me."

It's not a third jersey if you wear it only once a year (ok twice last year). It's just for a special event (St. Patricks and/or Stadium Series).

I guess if you get technical, they had two, that makes it #3. But that's not what people mean by a third jersey. At least not in my head anyway.

This is the internet, were here do discuss opinions. Can't say anything negative about Lou though or Colorado will take it as if you're bashing his mom and insult you

Wrong as usual. I don't have a problem with people criticizing Lou. I'm just saying that instead of sniveling and complaining about Lou's MO every chance you get, as though you have it all figured out, maybe you should just shut up about it and accept Lou for who he is, that he has had a considerable amount of success doing things his way, and that you won't have to "put up" with him too much longer.

Wrong as usual. I don't have a problem with people criticizing Lou. I'm just saying that instead of sniveling and complaining about Lou's MO every chance you get, as though you have it all figured out, maybe you should just shut up about it and accept Lou for who he is, that he has had a considerable amount of success doing things his way, and that you won't have to "put up" with him too much longer.

The problem with you is that you can't let go of past conversations. You ALWAYS bring up stuff i say in the past, you always take my current comments + stuff i said months ago so it always seem like a big deal to you. It's really not as if i'm going out of my way to criticize him, if something come up in a discussion im gonna mention it. Were my comments DIRECTLY related to the subject here? Absolutely yes..... Is it fair to point out the things I did? Yes...... Was I bashing him incredibly? No. 

So again, calm down or just put me on your ignore list already. I was simply having a conversation with someone else, we were both respecting what the other way saying and then you come whining again. At this point just fvcking ignore me were obviously never gonna see things the same way and all we do is argue. Nobody wants to see that. You have ZERO patience with any of my comments because of other arguments we had before. How many times did i tell you to put me on your ignore list if you can't stand me? Just do it.

Edited by SterioDesign

Really wish Lou would just drop his whole jersey number obsession. What's the difference between 35 and 36? are numbers 36-99 really so tainted in his view?

I agree.  I do enjoy certain traditions, but the number restrictions is taking it a bit far.  I hope Cammy does wear 13.  He's actually listed as number 13 on the Devils website as well.

I agree.  I do enjoy certain traditions, but the number restrictions is taking it a bit far.  I hope Cammy does wear 13.  He's actually listed as number 13 on the Devils website as well.

Well that is interesting. I guess we will see soon, first preseason game is less than 3 weeks away!

After signing a 5-year contract (and Lou raving about the person he is, and the knowledge of the organization and the respect bla bla bla), if he asked Lou if he could wear #13 because it is important to him, is Lou really going to say no? I doubt it.

Lou would and probably already has told him no. I can't imagine any player signing with the devils these days and not know some of these rules before signing the contract

Talkin' out my butt here, but.....Wasn't it McMullen who set the no thirteen rule?  Maybe Lou is respecting Mr. McMullen by continuing the rule / tradition.  If that is, indeed, the case, then I applaud Lou for it.

I know it wasn't originally Lou's and that he was carrying it on for someone else. McMullen would make sense.