Are the Devils breaking an old tradition?

Daniel

I don't get why Devils fans are so eager/getting their panties in a bunch to see a #13 jersey.  It's just a friggin number.

Short answer:  I thinks fans are always looking for any signs of change or "softening" with regards to Lou and how he does things.  The funny thing is if Lou had decided to let Cammalleri wear #13, some fans would be talking about how much Lou has changed, how he's mellowing, etc...over the issuing of a simple player number that's not exactly striking, compared to the 60+ numbers.  Hell, for me, I thought Lou actually allowing the X-mas jerseys to be worn during a game was shocking...I didn't think he'd ever go for something like that. 

I have no idea. If it really is done because McMullen didn't want the number used as someone suggested earlier, then it should stay unused.

I agree.  Every team has a few traditions that are just done because it's just always how it's been.  This team doesn't have a ton of traditions (at least real ones) and this is one I personally would like to continue.

I will admit its mostly either the younger or newer fans who are whining about #13 not being used as if it is life and death.  That would explain a lot.

Short answer:  I thinks fans are always looking for any signs of change or "softening" with regards to Lou and how he does things.  The funny thing is if Lou had decided to let Cammalleri wear #13, some fans would be talking about how much Lou has changed, how he's mellowing, etc...over the issuing of a simple player number that's not exactly striking, compared to the 60+ numbers.  Hell, for me, I thought Lou actually allowing the X-mas jerseys to be worn during a game was shocking...I didn't think he'd ever go for something like that

I was surprised too, but if there is one way to get Lou to agree to an alternate jersey, the only one I could see him approving is a retro one as he would reason in his head that it's just an old design they once had.  I know he has said in the past he didn't like the old design because to him it meant the old, losing guard of the Devils.

I don't get why Devils fans are so eager/getting their panties in a bunch to see a #13 jersey.  It's just a friggin number.

Personally my panties are in a bunch because the number 13 holds a special, personal meaning and I would really like to see an authentic jersey with that number.  I can't speak for any other bunches of panties.  I love my team, and I love my state.  Since it's the only major team we have left, i don't really have a lot of options.

As far as traditions go, I'm all for tradition as long as i know why they exist.  Following tradition just for the sake of following something blindly doesn't make much sense to me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes when Lou is gone.  Does that mean I can't wait for him to leave? Not at all.  The man is a legend and he's done a hell of a job.  Just saying that when his time has passed, I'm pretty sure that will be the end of certain things (like the lack of players social media, no alt jerseys, etc.).  This is also a business, and things like that can help when it comes to expanding fan base or merchandise sales.  I don't think that it will make a change overnight, but it sure couldn't hurt the team either.

Edited by dmon2010

I was surprised too, but if there is one way to get Lou to agree to an alternate jersey, the only one I could see him approving is a retro one as he would reason in his head that it's just an old design they once had.  I know he has said in the past he didn't like the old design because to him it meant the old, losing guard of the Devils.

It's funny...not sure if you've ever seen "Rudy" (though I think everyone in America who doesn't despise Notre Dame has probably seen it at least three times), but remember when Coach Devine FINALLY relents and lets Rudy get into the game at the very end, with a look of mild disgust on his face...basically a "Fine, screw it, you fvckers wore me down, I'll put him in the damned game, are you friggin' happy now?!" expression?  That's how I picture Lou at the "yea or nea to the retro jersey" meeting. 

And on a side note, poor Dan Devine...even though he wasn't the villain that "Rudy" portrayed him to be, he said the studio asked him, "Look, we need a real antagonist for this film, can we use you for that role?"  (basically, typical Hollywood embellishment/exaggerating of "true" events)  Devine reluctantly agreed, but was very upset about how the movie depicted him...made it very clear afterwards that the "I want Rudy to play in my place" jersey-stacking in his office absolutely did not happen (and also made it clear he would've cut every player that dared to do it), and also stated that it was he who decided that Rudy would both dress AND play in that one game...Devine wasn't some humorless sourpuss who needed player demonstrations and fan chanting to get him to reward Rudy with an in-game appearance for his obsessed level of dedication to the team.  Devine did think Rudy was a bit of a kook (though oddly likable)...that one I can definitely understand.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Personally my panties are in a bunch because the number 13 holds a special, personal meaning and I would really like to see an authentic jersey with that number.  I can't speak for any other bunches of panties.  I love my team, and I love my state.  Since it's the only major team we have left, i don't really have a lot of options.

As far as traditions go, I'm all for tradition as long as i know why they exist.  Following tradition just for the sake of following something blindly doesn't make much sense to me.

The "no #13" thing has existed as long as the team has been in Jersey, including 5 years before Lou was around, so I think it can be considered a tradition that isn't just being followed blindly. What the actual reason is, I don't know. But it's been rumored to stem back to McMullen himself.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes when Lou is gone.  Does that mean I can't wait for him to leave? Not at all.  The man is a legend and he's done a hell of a job.  Just saying that when his time has passed, I'm pretty sure that will be the end of certain things (like the lack of players social media, no alt jerseys, etc.).  This is also a business, and things like that can help when it comes to expanding fan base or merchandise sales.  I don't think that it will make a change overnight, but it sure couldn't hurt the team either.

But see that is just for you.  Why should the Devils break tradition that has been there since pretty much day 1 to satisfy you?  As DD56 said he is not blindly following tradition in this regard.

Plus I find it funny when so many scream about preserving "tradition" when it comes to the "you suck" chant (which only started about 2007ish), but yet when it comes to #13 they say "screw tradition, Lou's being too unreasonable!" (This part is not directed at you but a legion of fans that I see on other websites, forums, FB, etc.)

It's funny...not sure if you've ever seen "Rudy" (though I think everyone in America who doesn't despise Notre Dame has probably seen it at least three times), but remember when Coach Devine FINALLY relents and lets Rudy get into the game at the very end, with a look of mild disgust on his face...basically a "Fine, screw it, you fvckers wore me down, I'll put him in the damned game, are you friggin' happy now?!" expression?  That's how I picture Lou at the "yea or nea to the retro jersey" meeting. 

And on a side note, poor Dan Devine...even though he wasn't the villain that "Rudy" portrayed him to be, he said the studio asked him, "Look, we need a real antagonist for this film, can we use you for that role?"  (basically, typical Hollywood embellishment/exaggerating of "true" events)  Devine reluctantly agreed, but was very upset about how the movie depicted him...made it very clear afterwards that the "I want Rudy to play in my place" jersey-stacking in his office absolutely did not happen (and also made it clear he would've cut every player that would've dared to do it), and also stated that it was he decided that Rudy would both dress AND play in that one game...Devine wasn't some humorless sourpuss who needed player demonstrations and fan chanting to get him to reward Rudy with an in-game appearance for his obsessed level of dedication to the team.  Devine did think Rudy was a bit of a kook (though oddly likable)...that one I can definitely understand.   

I can imagine it was something like that.  I wouldn't be surprised if JVB rammed this down Lou's throat like he did with the Kovy signing and press-conference.  In both cases I can see Lou telling JVB "I do not think this is a good idea" but JVB comes in and basically saying "I don't give a fvck, you are going to watch me do it!"

If the throwback unis were all Jeffy's idea then why are we still doing it after he's long gone?

Even if Lou didn't initially like the idea, I think he's since warmed up to it.  I think once he saw how the fans took to it, he saw it differently.

Even if Lou didn't initially like the idea, I think he's since warmed up to it.  I think once he saw how the fans took to it, he saw it differently.

Pretty much how I see it.  However in the 5 games the Devils wore the throwbacks they are 1-4 so not sure how much Lou can take.  Though even if the Devils lose again in it and he wants to change it, the owners will certainly veto it.

But see that is just for you.  Why should the Devils break tradition that has been there since pretty much day 1 to satisfy you?  As DD56 said he is not blindly following tradition in this regard.

The "no #13" thing has existed as long as the team has been in Jersey, including 5 years before Lou was around, so I think it can be considered a tradition that isn't just being followed blindly. What the actual reason is, I don't know. But it's been rumored to stem back to McMullen himself.

When I said "following blindly" I meant not knowing where the origin of the tradition came from. Not how long its been around.  Maybe there's a great reason or maybe McMullen was just superstitious.   It's like those buildings that have no floor #13.  Just doesn't seem to make much sense.  All I'm saying is that it's just another number like any other.  Personally, I'd like to see it used here in our team, especially if it carries meaning for a player.  Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way, maybe not. Not like it really matters anyway since it's not a huge deal.  All I said was that I'd like to see it used.  Personal opinion. 

Short answer:  I thinks fans are always looking for any signs of change or "softening" with regards to Lou and how he does things.  The funny thing is if Lou had decided to let Cammalleri wear #13, some fans would be talking about how much Lou has changed, how he's mellowing, etc...over the issuing of a simple player number that's not exactly striking, compared to the 60+ numbers.  Hell, for me, I thought Lou actually allowing the X-mas jerseys to be worn during a game was shocking...I didn't think he'd ever go for something like that.

i think youve got it spot on man, no matter what people are going to complain about which way the wind blows. Thats all a lot of fans do is just look for a reason to complain one way or another.

i think youve got it spot on man, no matter what people are going to complain about which way the wind blows. Thats all a lot of fans do is just look for a reason to complain one way or another.

I think there's a contingent of fans in ALL sports who somehow believe that every loss is preventable, that a few moves are all that's needed to avoid downturns and valleys, etc.  It just doesn't work that way.  It's great to have runs of extended success, to have a pipeline of inexpensive young talent to replace guys who left for greener pa$ture$, to have trades and signings constantly work out...but eventually things go the other way for ALL GMs...no one keeps their team relevant forever and ever, no matter what they do...it's impossible, and there's a good deal of luck involved in keeping long runs of prosperity going.

I could be wrong, but I think this year is playoffs-or-bust for Lou.  I don't think this ownership is interested in continuing to do things Lou's way if it doesn't seem to be producing results.  I think they would love to take things in a different direction (not implying that they don't like or respect Lou, but it wouldn't surprise me if they feel that Lou might be a little too old-school).   

it's not to satisfy "him" as in "one fan" here it's about satisfying a player who Lou needed and signed for 5 years. I hate Cammalleri but his # is important to him clearly. It's really not as if Cammalleri was asking for #4, 27 or 30. Its plain stupid.

Edited by SterioDesign

it's not to satisfy "him" as in "one fan" here it's about satisfying a player who Lou needed and signed for 5 years. I hate Cammalleri but his # is important to him clearly. It's really not as if Cammalleri was asking for #4, 27 or 30. Its plain stupid.

How is it clearly important to him?  I saw no evidence that he ever complained about it and this has been 100% a product of fans for whom some reason #13 is a very important number to them.

I don't think he was surprised by Lou after he signed that he couldnt use #13 and if it mattered to him that much he wouldn't have signed here.  In the end the only number Cammy is interested is the one in the space on the contract that starts with $.

Edited by DevsMan84

How is it clearly important to him?

I don't think he was surprised by Lou after he signed that he couldnt use #13 and if it mattered to him that much he wouldn't have signed here.  In the end the only number Cammy is interested is the one in the space on the contract that starts with $.

It's clearly important cause i watched many interviews he did in his apartment where 13 is EVERYWHERE and where he talked about his number 13 and how that number followed him all his career and how it was a special and significative number for him. thats how.

Again if there was a GOOD reason not to give him the number, fine. but there's none. absolutely none. 

Edited by SterioDesign

It was soooooooooooo important to him that he chose to sign with a team that clearly wasn't going to allow it.  So what do you think SD...do you really think Cammalleri is going to sulk about not getting #13?  Do you think it's going to affect him on ice? 

DM84 said it perfectly...he's got 25 million reasons not to care about a friggin' number on the back of his jersey, and if it DID matter to him THAT much, I think he could've found another team that would've allowed him to wear #13.  It's only an issue if you're looking for something to bash Lou over.   

It was soooooooooooo important to him that he chose to sign with a team that clearly wasn't going to allow it.  So what do you think SD...do you really think Cammalleri is going to sulk about not getting #13?  Do you think it's going to affect him on ice? 

DM84 said it perfectly...he's got 25 million reasons not to care about a friggin' number on the back of his jersey, and if it DID matter to him THAT much, I think he could've found another team that would've allowed him to wear #13.  It's only an issue if you're looking for something to bash Lou over.   

Okay listen princess. Did i say that it was gonna affect him, did i say he won't be able to sleep at night? Do i think he's willing to let go of that number to please his new boss? yes. Thats fvcking all. It's again another unnecessary "rule". 

It doesnt take anything away that It sucks that a player who cares about a number that much had to let it go and can't wear it because of no reasons. It's not cause another player had it, cause it was a retired number, it's because it's an "unlucky number" and Lou doesn't like it.

Edited by SterioDesign

Okay listen princess. Did i say that it was gonna affect him, did i say he won't be able to sleep at night? Do i think he's willing to let go of that number to please his new boss? yes. Thats fvcking all. It's again another unnecessary "rule". 

It doesnt take anything away that It sucks that a player who cares about a number that much had to let it go and can't wear it because of no reasons. It's not cause another player had it, cause it was a retired number, it's because it's an "unlucky number" and Lou doesn't like it.

If it didn't drive Cammalleri away and he didn't have a problem with it and it's not going to affect him, then why make anything out of it at all then?   

It's clearly important cause i watched many interviews he did in his apartment where 13 is EVERYWHERE and where he talked about his number 13 and how that number followed him all his career and how it was a special and significative number for him. thats how.

Again if there was a GOOD reason not to give him the number, fine. but there's none. absolutely none. 

But again it wasn't that big of a deal for him not to sign here.

Anyways just my opinion but some players get too carried away with their numbers.  Just be happy you are in the NHL and playing a game and getting paid millions to do it.  Again this is just my thinking.

Wrong. That number has never been used by the Devils, going back before Lou was even here. It goes back to McMullen and the earliest equipment staff. That's a tradition that began when Cammalerri was in diapers.