Scott Stevens No Longer on Coaching Staff

DevsMan84

Everyone sees the same things we do. I don't believe for a second this was a Stevens led decision. This was Lou acting in the best interest of the young defensemen.

it makes perfect sense actually for the timing of bringing in merril, larsson and gelinas if he is coming back

NEWARK — Scott Stevens, who served as a Devils assistant coach under Pete DeBoer the past two seasons, will not be back for a third.

General manager Lou Lamoriello said it was a personal decision made by Stevens and indicated Tommy Albelin will step in and replace the Hall of Famer.

"Scotty Stevens will not be coming back this year. There is nothing to read into," Lamoriello stressed. "It's not the organization. It's just a decision he made.

"I'm sure it's not something that will be long term. I'm sure he will be back in coaching, hopefully here some day. It's just a personal thing. Personal or professional. Any way you want to look at it."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/09/scott_stevens_steps_down_as_devils_assistant_coach_tommy_albelin_to_replace_him.html

I know this is tin-foil hat kind of theory, but my guess is that we will now see Gelinas being signed soon.

Per TG : 

Devils RFA D Eric Gelinas remains unsigned. Lamoriello unsure if he'll be signed before he's due to report for camp next Thursday.

I know this is tin-foil hat kind of theory, but my guess is that we will now see Gelinas being signed soon.

Hope so.

Potentially related, but most likely not - I remember last season Gelinas said something along the lines of "coaches have encouraged me to use my body more".  When, in reality, that's just not a big part of his game.  Not every big body needs to play that uber physical game that Stevens employed.

He might sign soon, because camp's in a week and he has zero leverage...Stevens leaving has nothing to do with it.

If you guys seriously think Lou'd put a Devils legend out to pasture for ****ing Eric Gelinas that's HF-type crazy.

And five months after last season ended to boot...if Lou WAS going to nudge Scott aside (after btw they were tops in shots prevented last year), he'd do it quietly a few weeks after the season, not now on the eve of camp!

He is unsure, but my theory is was the first step to encourage him to re-sign.

I hope we don't "fire" a legend to encourage a not-that-proved-yet Young player to re-sign... 

I don't think that this ScottStevens moves got nothing to do with Gelly. 

(btw.. If that would be a problem for him to have Stevens in the Organisation... he can sign wherever he wants.. but i don't want him around anymore)

(but again, i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that)

(so it's fine... you can stay Gelly)

(don't take me too seriously)

(you are ok) 

Everyone sees the same things we do. I don't believe for a second this was a Stevens led decision. This was Lou acting in the best interest of the young defensemen.

That's a giant assumption. It's the result many here wanted, but why does this happen a week before camp? Lou had already said that the entire coaching staff will be back in June or July.

Lot of personal reasons why someone would want to step away from coaching. 

That's a giant assumption. It's the result many here wanted, but why does this happen a week before camp? Lou had already said that the entire coaching staff will be back in June or July.

Lot of personal reasons why someone would want to step away from coaching. 

The interpretation could go the other way as well.  Lou still has some things on his plate before camp starts so this could be the start of it.

its always sad to see one of the best players of the franchize leaving the organization.  with that being said, he didn't bring a whole lot of coaching experience.

Wheres PK.. probably plotting an attack on Lou

... or reaching out to Scotty to see if he needs any comforting

Edited by Onddeck

Hasan, you're operating under the assumption we find out immediately. This could've been done months ago, but we just are finding out now. Also -  Lou has had a busy summer, perhaps this was the last thing to get to before camp starts.

Really happy Tommy will be up here and working with the kids.

Hasan, you're operating under the assumption we find out immediately. This could've been done months ago, but we just are finding out now. Also - Lou has had a busy summer, perhaps this was the last thing to get to before camp starts.

Really happy Tommy will be up here and working with the kids.

And what would be the point of withholding that info if it was 'decided' earlier?