2014 Training Camp Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

And what's wrong with this? It beats Zubrus or Ruutu as 3rd C, and Josefson too. I'd rather Henrique play wing, but as long as he's playing 3C I don't mind too much. It's when he's expected to generate offense for good offensive wingers that I get upset.

I don't mind the pair of Henrique/Clowe but finding another winger is tricky, unless they want to try Ryder again.

The worst news is that the Devils are tentatively thinking about Zubrus in the top 6

It's only day 1, but you are seeing the coaching staff's thinking with the lines in place. Zubrus-Elias-Havlat is one of those. Trying to re-create the solid 2011-2012 line with Havlat replacing Sykora. The thing is that was 3 years ago. I'm not so worried about the line, but more the mindset of the coaches that they see Zubrus as someone that could work on a 2nd line at this point.

It was abundantly clear in the second half last year that Zubrus shouldn't be counted on as a top 6 player, and maybe not a good top 9 player. Again, it's only day 1 and that line could be gone away with soon, but I just hate how that was their best idea. 

Edited by devilsrule33

And what's wrong with this?  It beats Zubrus or Ruutu as 3rd C, and Josefson too.  I'd rather Henrique play wing, but as long as he's playing 3C I don't mind too much.  It's when he's expected to generate offense for good offensive wingers that I get upset.

Triumph, can you expand a bit on what you mean when you say you prefer he is not put in a position to generate offense for good offensive wingers? Do you mean that the data shows (or in your opinion) he does not do well at distributing the puck?

It's only day 1, but you are seeing the coaching staff's thinking with the lines in place. Zubrus-Elias-Havlat is one of those. Trying to re-create the solid 2011-2012 line with Havlat replacing Sykora. The thing is that was 3 years ago. I'm not so worried about the line, but more the mindset of the coaches that they see Zubrus as someone that could work on a 2nd line at this point.

It was abundantly clear in the second half last year that Zubrus shouldn't be counted on as a top 6 player, and maybe not a good top 9 player. Again, it's only day 1 and that line could be gone away with soon, but I just hate how that was their best idea. 

Obviously, it's only one practice and lines change a lot, but Elias said he hopes Havlat can fit with him and Zubrus the way Sykora did.

I'm fine with zubrus getting the first look on Elias' wing, I feel like we have plenty of interchangeable parts that it's not necessarily permanent and Pete has shown a willingness to love guys around if need be (except for cbgb)...although I am a bit worried about the speed on that potential line.

Also like Boucher starting with Gomez, if Scott can regain half of his passing ability a guy like Boucher can really benefit.

meanwhile in Minny... Harding is apparently getting suspended without pay by the wild for breaking his foot kicking a wall... lolz

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/09/19/minnesota_wilds_josh_harding_suspended_after_breaking_foot_while_kicking_wall_report.html

Edited by SterioDesign

Where's Brunner?

as much im trying i can't even put lines together without being like... oh well fvck there's 2-3 guys lft that could technically play there but there's no room or they are not suited to play 4th line. It's gonna be interesting to see what team were icing on opening night, thats for sure

Where's Brunner?

IMO at this point (ie barring a trade or injury) there are 10 forwards guaranteed spots: henrique, camm, jagr, Elias, clowe, Ryder, zubrus, ruutu, havlat, gionta. That leaves Brunner, carter, josefson, Gomez and any youngsters fighting for the last 2.

Brunner was a healthy scratch at times last year, it's not beyond belief that he will be again this year or even off the team if he's beaten out.

meanwhile in Minny... Harding is apparently getting suspended without pay by the wild for breaking his foot kicking a wall... lolz

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/09/19/minnesota_wilds_josh_harding_suspended_after_breaking_foot_while_kicking_wall_report.html

Well, that pulls Bryz off the board.... Marty is waiting patiently for the next domino to fall somewhere in the league. Although I think Thomas is the next emergency goalie to get signed assuming he isn't totally retired.

Triumph, can you expand a bit on what you mean when you say you prefer he is not put in a position to generate offense for good offensive wingers? Do you mean that the data shows (or in your opinion) he does not do well at distributing the puck?

The data are assists in this case, and he doesn't get a lot of them.  He didn't get a ton of them in junior hockey, not a ton in the AHL, and besides year 1 in the NHL, he didn't get a lot there either.  He had 35 assists in his first 75 NHL games, he has 31 in the 143 games he's played since then.  I don't think I am reversing cause and effect here either.  I don't think Henrique is that good an offensive player - he scores a fair number of goals because of his ability to shoot the puck, but he doesn't shoot the puck a lot, and he doesn't get a lot of assists.  He's an okay play driver.

Well, that pulls Bryz off the board.... Marty is waiting patiently for the next domino to fall somewhere in the league. Although I think Thomas is the next emergency goalie to get signed assuming he isn't totally retired.

I'm starting to wonder if Marty will expand his horizons and sign with ANY team willing to give him playing time...obviously if the team is not great but he plays well, maybe he eventually gets dealt to a team higher up in the standings...of course, at this stage I think Marty will look that much worse on a team that can't suppress shots or scoring opportunities for the opposition, but I don't think Marty sees it that way. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm starting to wonder if Marty will expand his horizons and sign with ANY team willing to give him playing time...obviously if the team is not great but he plays well, maybe he eventually gets dealt to a team higher up in the standings...of course, at this stage I think Marty will look that much worse on a team that can't suppress shots or scoring opportunities for the opposition, but I don't think Marty sees it that way. 

Brisson dropped the 700 win thing 2 weeks ago, so I don't think 'any team' is on his wish list.  I doubt he wants to move cities twice in one year either.

IMO at this point (ie barring a trade or injury) there are 10 forwards guaranteed spots: henrique, camm, jagr, Elias, clowe, Ryder, zubrus, ruutu, havlat, gionta. That leaves Brunner, carter, josefson, Gomez and any youngsters fighting for the last 2.

Brunner was a healthy scratch at times last year, it's not beyond belief that he will be again this year or even off the team if he's beaten out.

Idk if I would put havlat in as a guaranteed spot. I could see him being scratched like Brunner was at times last year.

Brisson dropped the 700 win thing 2 weeks ago, so I don't think 'any team' is on his wish list.  I doubt he wants to move cities twice in one year either.

Of course signing with one bad team to possibly get a shot with another and having to move is not ideal, and Marty probably wouldn't love it either (though he'd only have to do it for one year).  It's more me wondering aloud how badly does he still want to play?  And how long is he willing to wait? 

Of course signing with one bad team to possibly get a shot with another and having to move is not ideal, and Marty probably wouldn't love it either (though he'd only have to do it for one year).  It's more me wondering aloud how badly does he still want to play?  And how long is he willing to wait? 

I don't see who is going to offer him a job for a job.  Right now there is nothing available.  Maybe something comes available.  I don't think any promises about being traded would be expected to be kept - after all, how is Brodeur supposed to think he can get traded when he can't even get the first job to begin with?   And if it's true that he rejected a particular job because the salary wasn't what he was expecting, that makes it even more difficult, because a lot of teams are going to be right up against the cap.  

As for waiting, I think he'll wait until the All-Star Break.  Hard to know when the most eyes can be focused on his retirement.

Edited by Triumph

I don't see who is going to offer him a job for a job.  Right now there is nothing available.  Maybe something comes available.  I don't think any promises about being traded would be expected to be kept - after all, how is Brodeur supposed to think he can get traded when he can't even get the first job to begin with?   And if it's true that he rejected a particular job because the salary wasn't what he was expecting, that makes it even more difficult, because a lot of teams are going to be right up against the cap.  

As for waiting, I think he'll wait until the All-Star Break.  Hard to know when the most eyes can be focused on his retirement.

We're pretty much on the same page.  My only real point is I think Marty had some pretty definite ideas of what he wanted, and he probably thought he was going to get it (decent playing time (20-30 games) with a playoff contender).  Now that he's still on the outside looking in and that doesn't look like it will change (I'm sure several teams with rather take a chance with their backups or someone on their AHL squad over Marty if their #1 guy suffers a long-term injury), is he cool with possibly playing no more than half of an NHL season, if that much?  I won't pretend to know what goes on inside his head...maybe having to wait until the ASB doesn't bother him at all.  But he always struck me as a guy who loves the game of hockey and loves to play.  It's gotta be weird for him to have no one to play for right now. 

ahhh godamnit Merril is already injured

Frak.  What happened to him?