2014 Training Camp Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

clowe is going to get another concussion.. its basically inevitable. He is damaged and when you get to the point where his head has to be it is much more likely he will get a concussion then someone who doesnt have such a history with them. I dont see anyway how he makes it through his contract here, i dont think its a matter of if but when he has to say enough is enough for his own good.

clowe is going to get another concussion.. its basically inevitable. He is damaged and when you get to the point where his head has to be it is much more likely he will get a concussion then someone who doesnt have such a history with them. I dont see anyway how he makes it through his contract here, i dont think its a matter of if but when he has to say enough is enough for his own good.

Agreed that he probably won't play out the contract, but if he wants to keep playing he can do so without fighting.

Agreed that he probably won't play out the contract, but if he wants to keep playing he can do so without fighting.

that is a big part of his game..and i think we need that part of his game which is the problem, clowe is an enforcer type player and hes supposed to fill that role here.. its going to suck if we have an enforcer type player that cant enforce anything or stick up for his team mates on the ice..would rather have him retire and find someone else to bring in the spot to do the job.

i read that they also apparently advised him not to fight as much.. but he claims its a part of he competes in the game.. i hope he doesnt eliminate fighting for himself now that hes afraid of another concussion.. if he plays with that on his mind every game i think it will definently affect his play.

If an NHL player can't play hockey properly because "don't fight" is in the back of his mind...well...well..there isn't much to add because that doesn't exist.

If he doesn't want to play a physical game, that's one thing, but fighting?  That's not really part of his game because it isn't anything that actually matters in hockey.

that is a big part of his game..and i think we need that part of his game which is the problem, clowe is an enforcer type player and hes supposed to fill that role here.. its going to suck if we have an enforcer type player that cant enforce anything or stick up for his team mates on the ice..would rather have him retire and find someone else to bring in the spot to do the job.

Doesn't even matter if Clowe says he wont fight. Like you said thats a huge part of who he is as a player. During the heat of the moment he will no doubt drop his gloves when he has to.

Praticing is one thing Tri. You really can't see the Devils keep seeing Clowe on ice until the roster issues solved?

Also it depends on if he plays preaseason games.

They don't have any roster issues atm...fourteen forwards are signed to one-way deals.  It'd be nice to make room for Carter but they can always just option Bernier to sign Carter if they don't trade or sign anyone else.  Guys have to actually make the team and get signed (Gomez, Tootoo, etc) for there to be roster issues.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They don't have any roster issues atm...fourteen forwards are signed to one-way deals. It'd be nice to make room for Carter but they can always just option Bernier to sign Carter if they don't trade or sign anyone else. Guys have to actually make the team and get signed (Gomez, Tootoo, etc) for there to be roster issues.

My ideal lineup would be keeping everyone except Bernier and adding Carter. Gionta Carter Josefson and Brunner can be healthy scratches from time to time but obviously we will be dealing with injuries so that roster would be just fine. Even though I hate Ryders game I don't want him traded. Edited by Zubie#8

Doesn't even matter if Clowe says he wont fight. Like you said thats a huge part of who he is as a player. During the heat of the moment he will no doubt drop his gloves when he has to.

Fighting is disappearing in the NHL. If it's for his health he can surely not fight. And there's a lot more to his game than fighting. He's only gone over 100 PIMs twice in his career and has 5 seasons of 45 points or more.

Is everyone in agreement that Bernier is gone one way or the other? (Waived,Traded, AHL)

I think we are. I just hope Lou and Deboer are haha

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Please refrain from comparing Cam to any hockey player ever again. His skillset is laughable...at best.

If JJ hasnt learned the how to shoot by now then he is never gonna learn. He has no swagger which is very important in being a goal scorer. I have to believe he is smart enough to know he should be shooting from the areas where he often passes from instead, which screams no confidence. Also, STRONGER forearms, shoulder, and back never hurt anyones shooting.

It's funny that Josefson is held to such a high standard as a goal scorer. You guys have to realize Josefson was mostly a PKer/grinder last year. Are we forgetting how awesome he looks almost every single time he's out there with decent linemates? That was only a game and a half last season, though.

Now that he's on a two year deal, he'll get a more serious look. I'm pretty confident that he'll have a much better season this year.

Clowe's not a finesse player. He's in the mold of the unfortunately vanishing, power forward. Not only is fighting a part of that style, but hitting and being hit big time is as well. If Clowe stops fighting that won't necessarily rule out another concussion since he's a physical player. I think big hits like the one Kronwall laid on him contributed to the concussions just as much as the fights.

Clowe's not a finesse player. He's in the mold of the unfortunately vanishing, power forward. Not only is fighting a part of that style, but hitting and being hit big time is as well. If Clowe stops fighting that won't necessarily rule out another concussion since he's a physical player. I think big hits like the one Kronwall laid on him contributed to the concussions just as much as the fights.

Absolutely. But not getting punched in the head could also help.

White learned how to be a valuable, physical player without fighting. I know they play different positions, but IMO it's a valid comparison. Clowe will still be able to play physical and contribute without dropping the gloves. The real question us will eliminating/cutting back on fighting be enough to prolong his career anywhere near the end of the contract.

White learned how to be a valuable, physical player without fighting. I know they play different positions, but IMO it's a valid comparison. Clowe will still be able to play physical and contribute without dropping the gloves. The real question us will eliminating/cutting back on fighting be enough to prolong his career anywhere near the end of the contract.

I don't think he makes it to the end of the contract, but he could give a couple of good years if he's smart about things and has the desire to play. 

The issue with Clowe is that he's slow and his game relies on playing in the corners, so he is always going to get hit.  It's just a question of whether a neck issue is causing these concussions like he's mentioned in interviews - if they can get that squared away, he can possibly play out this contract.  If not, probably not.

Is everyone in agreement that Bernier is gone one way or the other? (Waived,Traded, AHL)

honestly as of right now without having seen how anyone looks I would put my money on Brunner being the first forward gone. He's just not the right fit for our system and if he's not scoring he's absolutely useless.

I would put Ryder in the same category, but since he has history while Brunner really doesn't, I would think it would be the safer bet to dump Brunner than Ryder.

i agree here i dont think the return for either would be all that much but for this reason i could see ryders worth being a little more than brunner's

i agree here i dont think the return for either would be all that much but for this reason i could see ryders worth being a little more than brunner's

I agree that Ryder would snag the better return, but I still think Brunner will be the one dumped.

Either way while I won't be too upset for either to go, it will still hurt as this team needs scoring from anyplace badly.

Wouldn't you put Ryder in the same place?

No. Ryder has a long history as a legitimate goal scorer. If we waive him (we won't) he'll be picked up instantly. There is a good chance Brunner does not get another nhl job if he doesn't make the team, and I'll be surprised if he is on the team to start the season.