2014 Training Camp Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

An Elias-Gomez-Havlat is a possibility, but with the lines they have now...could Ruutu-Gomez-Brunner actually be a 4th line for the Devils? I suppose you could see Ruutu-Gomez-Gionta, but then you have Gomez setting up Gionta which is obviously ridiculous.

No finish is correct. That much should be clear to everyone, and why a few PP goals shouldn't be the judge of a good camp or not.

If they did go Ruutu-Gomez-Brunner, who are the PK lines?  That's what I couldn't quite figure.  Ruutu, Henrique, Elias, Zajac, Zubrus, and then I don't really see a 6th PKer.  Gomez has played the PK on occasion and maybe they would use Havlat but I think that's a mistake.

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1h

Devils' early group practice lines: Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr; Zubrus-Elias-Havlat; Clowe-Henrique-Ryder. http://nj.com/devils

Looks like these 9 players are definitely on the team and the ones remaining are fighting for 4-5 roster spots.

If that's the case than I think the coaching staff is just about spot on. We all speculated that some of these tryouts were being brought in to push some of the fringe Devils and it seems like that's exactly what happened. Hopefully the 3 or 4 best players left make the team and the rest are moved down or traded. No reason for loyalty when you're talking about 4th liners.

If that's the case than I think the coaching staff is just about spot on. We all speculated that some of these tryouts were being brought in to push some of the fringe Devils and it seems like that's exactly what happened. Hopefully the 3 or 4 best players left make the team and the rest are moved down or traded. No reason for loyalty when you're talking about 4th liners.

pretty much what we hoped for here.  4th line should be :

Ruutu -Gomez-Brunner. I would have liked to get Carter in there but he really hasn't made any noise so far..

a 4th line like the one above is actually a pretty legit 4th line

obviously the team would need to do something with Bernier/Gio/Josefson.. but i think we all have an idea on what the best decision with them would be

This is today's second group: Hard to know exactly what the staff is thinking, but interesting that Josefson is not getting some reps with Ruutu and Brunner (two players you have to think are making the team at this point) even without Gomez and Gionta practicing today. Just practice, but an opportunity to give Carter a look. 

Last year, it seemed clear that Lou was not going to dump a 1-way player into the AHL. Will that change with Bernier?

Forwards: Tuomo Ruutu-Ryan Carter-Damien Brunner; Stefan Matteau-Jacob Josefson-Steve Bernier; Reid Boucher-Ruslan Fedotenko-Jordin Tootoo/Cam Janssen.

Defensemen: Seth Helgeson-Jon Merrill. Tomas Kaberle-Peter Harrold.

Goaltender: Scott Clemmensen, Keith Kinkaid.

See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/#sthash.gBTZ86zK.dpuf

Too many players I'm rooting for and not enough spaces! It would have been kind of surprising if one of nine players in the first group was left off the team. I would think that Ruutu is almost a lock at this point as well.

Tough to choose between the rest of this group. I would like Gomez to make the team. I would bet the fourth line is Ruutu - Gomez - Brunner to start the season. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Zubrus fall to the third or fourth line if he doesn't produce.

I've always been a Carter fan as well, but I think the CBGB line may start the year in the AHL (like they did in 2012). I would bring Tootoo to add some grit to a pretty soft group. I could see him as the 13th forward. Him or Gionta, although Gio obviously brings in a different skill set. 

Pretty exciting to see the depth on this team. Although the Devils success offensively hinges on Jagr having another great year on the first line. Or someone else (Henrique?) stepping up if he doesn't. 

It's not like Josefson's been any great shakes either though.  If he wants to keep his spot in the lineup let him actually do something, Gomez (as much as I can't stand him) has done more in two lousy preseason games than Josefson's done in two years.

That is a scarey point, but so true, we have been waiting for JJ do DO ANYTHING positive for like 3 years, and while I like him, at this point its no great loss, just another young player that fauiled tio develop in NJ, too many of those laterly...

As for Gomer, I'm not sure what he has left in his legs, but his passing and puck skills are a big positive, if his skating is 75% of what it was when he last dressed in the black & red I think he will help this team...

Well, Kaberle and Fedotenko are gone, so it's just Tootoo and Gomez left of the many tryouts.  Kaberle showed some good things I thought but I think it's the play of Damon Severson that's booting him out.  Fedotenko didn't really do all that much.

Edited by Triumph

That is a scarey point, but so true, we have been waiting for JJ do DO ANYTHING positive for like 3 years, and while I like him, at this point its no great loss, just another young player that fauiled tio develop in NJ, too many of those laterly...

As for Gomer, I'm not sure what he has left in his legs, but his passing and puck skills are a big positive, if his skating is 75% of what it was when he last dressed in the black & red I think he will help this team...

I'm not sure his skating is even 75% or at least he lost that slight edge over everyone else where his skating effectiveness has dropped a lot.

Gomez has always been a fairly high risk passer. Normally I'm against that since I prefer a safer game but the Devils as a team are full of safe players and some higher risk plays in small doses could be helpful.

I'm starting to think the signings of Gio and Bernier are stranger and stranger. I guess Lou didnt know who would be interested in a PTO, but based on what we've seen this preseason, I'll take Gomez, Tootoo and Carter over Gio, Bernier and JJ...and I've always thought that JJ had the skill, just needed to stop getting hurt.

I suppose that you can always put them through waivers expecting them to make it through with 50/50 odds or better.

Gionta makes the roster 100% of the time.  I don't see how he doesn't, and I'd be surprised if he's not in the opening night lineup.  Bernier was signed with no promises at all.  Still think there's a decent possibility of a trade before the start of the season.

Gio is a different player from Gomez, Tootoo and Carter (maybe he's most like Carter), so it's not really comparing apples to apples, but what makes him more valuable to NJ? I'm not necessarily saying he shouldn't make the team, just legitimately interested in what you think about what he brings to the table relative to the others.

Well, Kaberle and Fedotenko are gone, so it's just Tootoo and Gomez left of the many tryouts.  Kaberle showed some good things I thought but I think it's the play of Damon Severson that's booting him out.  Fedotenko didn't really do all that much.

I mean this as a serious question since I haven't watched that much of the preseason, but has Severson really been that good so far?  In the relatively small amount of preseason that I've seen is that he could be a borderline competent NHLer right now... not make too many mistakes, not do anything particularly noteworthy and wouldn't get a ton of ice time.  It seems he might be well served playing the whole season in Albany and getting a lot of minutes, while having Helgeson or Kaberle (they can always pick him up midseason right?} fill in for an injury. 

Well, Kaberle and Fedotenko are gone, so it's just Tootoo and Gomez left of the many tryouts. Kaberle showed some good things I thought but I think it's the play of Damon Severson that's booting him out. Fedotenko didn't really do all that much.

I'm not sure Kaberle's competition was Severson. There's no way they let him sit in the press box when he can be playing 20+ in Albany. Unless you're point was that Severson would be the first one in when someone goes down in NJ

Gio is a different player from Gomez, Tootoo and Carter (maybe he's most like Carter), so it's not really comparing apples to apples, but what makes him more valuable to NJ? I'm not necessarily saying he shouldn't make the team, just legitimately interested in what you think about what he brings to the table relative to the others.

deboer trusts gionta on the penalty kill. Gomez, tootoo, Brunner, and bernier don't bring that aspect and I think it's desperately needed. After our top 4 of zajac henrique Elias and zubrus, what forward so you trust in a big pk situation?

IMO the other guys competing for the fourth line spots aren't typical 4th line players. They're guys who can be streaky offensively and aren't very good defensively.

I mean this as a serious question since I haven't watched that much of the preseason, but has Severson really been that good so far? In the relatively small amount of preseason that I've seen is that he could be a borderline competent NHLer right now... not make too many mistakes, not do anything particularly noteworthy and wouldn't get a ton of ice time. It seems he might be well served playing the whole season in Albany and getting a lot of minutes, while having Helgeson or Kaberle (they can always pick him up midseason right?} fill in for an injury.

Severson looked good in the last game. What made him stand out was the lack of mistakes and his confident and quick decision making.

Obviously only basing it on limited viewing but I don't feel uncomfortable with Harrold as the #7 and having Severson available to play some games as needed. If it's halfway through the season and a defenseman has to miss 5 games it wouldn't surprise me if Severson gets those games and plays well.

Obviously only basing it on limited viewing but I don't feel uncomfortable with Harrold as the #7 and having Severson available to play some games as needed. If it's halfway through the season and a defenseman has to miss 5 games it wouldn't surprise me if Severson gets those games and plays well.

I think this is probably the plan- if it's a short fill in, Harrold as the #7 will be the guy. If there's an extended injury, either severson or helgeson (depending on who's playing better) will come up for some nhl experience.

IMO - Bernier / Brunner / Clowe need to go. 

Brunner - has been a bit vocal about his lack of playing time.  This also happened last year when he or his agent spoke to a Swiss newspaper before the Olympics about the "Devils system" not typically suiting his style.  Seems like he can be a detriment to team unity.  His skills certainly aren't "earth shattering" to absorb the risk....

Clowe -  good heart, good character.  Too much money though for a guy who is about 2.4 body checks away from becoming a color analyst on TSN.

Bernier - fantastic pond hockey player.  He would be tearing it up in the ECHL.  Definitely not much of an upside to Bernier compared to Tootoo, so I would go with the latter...

deboer trusts gionta on the penalty kill. Gomez, tootoo, Brunner, and bernier don't bring that aspect and I think it's desperately needed. After our top 4 of zajac henrique Elias and zubrus, what forward so you trust in a big pk situation?

IMO the other guys competing for the fourth line spots aren't typical 4th line players. They're guys who can be streaky offensively and aren't very good defensively.

I suppose that's reasonable, but this also goes back to a thread from a few weeks ago about good PK'ing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I firmly believe that PK'ing (especially from F's) is based on about 20% a basic understanding of defensive zone coverage and 80% hustle. I see no reason why Carter couldn't be just as effective as Gio on the PK...and he's a bit more of a scorer and physical presence.