Devils re-sign Gelinas

Derlique

Glad to hear there won't be bad blood.

One wonders...if there is, it's not like you're going to hear much about it.

Kid just learned the hard way (though it could've been worse) that at this point in your career, if you're a work-in-progress who might be good one day but who currently and very clearly still has some holes in your game, with plenty of other young defensemen in your system that are also knocking on the door, that your negotiating leverage is pretty much zilch.

One wonders...if there is, it's not like you're going to hear much about it.

Kid just learned the hard way (though it could've been worse) that at this point in your career, if you're a work-in-progress who might be good one day but who currently and very clearly still has some holes in your game, with plenty of other young defensemen in your system that are also knocking on the door, that your negotiating leverage is pretty much zilch.

We don't know that. What's to say that he didn't get an extra $100K out of this holdout? I guess we'll never know, but I can't imagine his agent fully caving. It's just a business, many of us seem to forget!

Edited by DJ Eco

We don't know that. What's to say that he didn't get an extra $100K out of this holdout? I guess we'll never know, but I can't imagine his agent fully caving. It's just a business, many of us seem to forget!

Ultimately the agent works for the player, it only seems like it's the other way around sometimes.

It's almost impossible to forget that these days...there's as many articles about the business side of professional sports as there are articles that deal with what actually happens during the games.  We get near-daily updates on how individual players' negotiations are going...and of course, we know far more about CBAs now than we ever really wanted to.  

Anyway, re:  Gelinas, sure, maybe Lupien managed to squeeze a little extra coin out of Lou, who knows, but my point was that Gelinas was hardly in a position to make any real demands...like we've all noted, he's a young player who has about a half-season of NHL experience who clearly isn't a finished product. 

How did Lou give in? 900k is pretty cheap for what Gelinas did offensively and in line with Larsson's deal (and Larsson didn't spend nearly the time in the NHL Gelinas did last year). I think it was absolutely intentional Gelinas and Larsson got the same deal.

I don't think Gelinas gained or lost anything by signing now as opposed to last month.

Edited by NJDevs4978

How did Lou give in? 900k is pretty cheap for what Gelinas did offensively and in line with Larsson's deal (and Larsson didn't spend nearly the time in the NHL Gelinas did last year). I think it was absolutely intentional Gelinas and Larsson got the same deal.

I don't think Gelinas gained or lost anything by signing now as opposed to last month.

I'm also talking about length.  I bet Lou wanted something like 2 or 3 years at $800K each but gave in to $900K/1 year and basically said "OK, now show me."

Lupien:  "We'd like 3 years, $4 million."

Lou:  "How about one year, $900k?"

Lupien:  "OK, how about two years, $2.4 mil?

Lou:  "How about one year, $900k?"

Lupien:  "Two years at $1.05 mil each?"

Lou:  "I like one year at $900k each myself."

Lupien:  "One year at $1.1 mil then?"

Lou:  "I was thinking...wait for it...one year at $900k."

Lupien:  "How 'bout..."

Lou:  "How about you stop wasting my fvcking time and sign the only offer you're going to get?  I have to start tracking down all of the bodies I'm inviting to training camp."

Lupien:  "Fine, one year, $900k then"  {mutters "fvcking Lou, that son-of-a..." to himself}

Lou:  "Pleasure doing business with you Gilly...tell Marty I said hi the next time you see him!"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1