2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Weren't you rooting for Rag wins just a couple of months ago?

Dude get over it you're absolutely ridiculous with this. I hate MTL more than the Rangers cause i live in the area and deal with their stupid fans every day. Those are the 2 teams i hate the more in the league, 2 are going against each other. Im gonna root for the one i hate the more to lose. I'm not rooting for one team to win, im rooting for one to lose, which is a lot different. Just like it's possible we as a fanbase end up rooting for the rangers to win against a certain team in a given night cause a loss for the other team would help us in the standings or wtv.

Stop being such an ignorant prick about it

Edited by SterioDesign

Maybe we should have just given Carter the 1-1.5 million that he wanted.  I think that one we're going to want back.  At least we've been looking good so far. 

I think someone else said it but Carter was a "good soldier" but that's about it.  Those are really a dime a dozen now these days.  I doubt a 4th line winger will really make or break the team.

Well we have JJ and Brunner waiting if Tootoo or Ruutu start to have rough patches.  Not bad replacements and I would say they are as good, if not better than Carter.

not sure that i would rather have jj or tootoo over carter, however i do agree one fourth line player should not change the team that dramatically where its really going to make that much of a difference. However not to jump the gun to the offseason or anything crazy, but carter is only signed over there for a year and we all know how much can change in a years time and we have many guys here that are only signed one year or their contracts expire by the end of this current season... theres always the possibility that he could even end up back here and it wouldnt surprise me nor would i mind it.

7,311 in attendance for the Panthers game tonight against Ottawa (well, official attendance. First hand accounts say probably closer to 5,500).

I understand it's a Monday night game versus the Senators, but oof.

All I can think of are those poor 7,311 Panthers fans that continue to pay money to be disappointed by a franchise over and over. What is wrong with those people?!? How has this franchise not broken your spirit.

Think about May of 1996 when the Panthers shocked the Penguins in game 7 to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. That was the very last time they won a playoff series. 18 years later they have made the playoffs 3 times and won a total of 4 playoff games. This is in a league where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

This isn't about a city failing a hockey team. This is about an organization failing the fans. There is a reason we aren't talking about Tampa or LA, or Anaheim or San Jose struggling to get fans. 3 of those teams have won a championship and the other has been good for two decades. Let's let the Panthers be successful and then not draw for this to be a story. We saw the Panthers building during the 2012 playoffs. It was sold out and electric.

Lastly, as bad as the Panthers have been, there has never been a young superstar player to pay money to see. From Weiss, Horton, Bouwmeester to Olesz, Frolik, Ellerby, Kulikov to Gudbranson. A few solid NHL players at best.

Edited by devilsrule33

We can only hope so. You must be happy seeing Montreal get spanked 7-1 lol.

Its bringing me the same amount of joy than seeing our boys getting a win lol

Stamkos was a beast tnight, hitting everything, making plays, scoring. Beast. He could have got more goals too at the end but was trying to setup other players

All I can think of are those poor 7,311 Panthers fans that continue to pay money to be disappointed by a franchise over and over. What is wrong with those people?!? How has this franchise not broken your spirit.

Think about May of 1996 when the Panthers shocked the Penguins in game 7 to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. That was the very last time they won a playoff series. 18 years later they have made the playoffs 3 times and won a total of 4 playoff games. This is in a league where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

This isn't about a city failing a hockey team. This is about an organization failing the fans. There is a reason we aren't talking about Tampa or LA, or Anaheim or San Jose struggling to get fans. 3 of those teams have won a championship and the other has been good for two decades. Let's let the Panthers be successful and then not draw for this to be a story. We saw the Panthers building during the 2012 playoffs. It was sold out and electric.

Lastly, as bad as the Panthers have been, there has never been a young superstar player to pay money to see. From Weiss, Horton, Bouwmeester to Olesz, Frolik, Ellerby, Kulikov to Gudbranson. A few solid NHL players at best.

Partially true, but ultimately Florida, and South Florida in particular just isn't really a great pro sports market. The Lightning can draw partially by being a good organization, but also because they have the cheapest tickets in the NHL. Panthers ownership made it clear that they wouldn't be discounting tickets this year, and attendance took a huge nosedive when people expected the team to be better than last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Partially true, but ultimately Florida, and South Florida in particular just isn't really a great pro sports market. The Lightning can draw partially by being a good organization, but also because they have the cheapest tickets in the NHL. Panthers ownership made it clear that they wouldn't be discounting tickets this year, and attendance took a huge nosedive when people expected the team to be better than last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is correct. South Florida is a sh!tty sports team, but I don't think you'd get many sports franchises in the NHL drawing that much better after this level of futility. Every team has their own situations. Look no further than the team we root for. The Devils organization had to give away free tickets once a week during the 2010-2011 season to avoid having 9000 fans a night. That was after the first sh!tty 40 game stretch in two decades and one year removed from being a pretty damn good hockey team (also a team that had made the playoffs 13 straight years).

There will be nights like this for the Panthers -- a Monday night game against Ottawa. I just don't see problem with the crowd. Do we expect fans to support teams win or lose? What if it's almost two decades of losing? I really feel for any fan that took their family excited to see the Panthers tonight after the 5-1 loss to NJ, only to see them get shutout by Ottawa. And there might be a seasons ticket holder that is going to do it all again the next game.

Edited by devilsrule33

This is correct. South Florida is a sh!tty sports team, but I don't think you'd get many sports franchises in the NHL drawing that much better after this level of futility. Every team has their own situations. Look no further than the team we root for. The Devils organization had to give away free tickets once a week during the 2010-2011 season to avoid having 9000 fans a night. That was after the first sh!tty 40 game stretch in two decades and one year removed from being a pretty damn good hockey team (also a team that had made the playoffs 13 straight years).

There will be nights like this for the Panthers -- a Monday night game against Ottawa. I just don't see problem with the crowd. Do we expect fans to support teams win or lose? What if it's almost two decades of losing? I really feel for any fan that took their family excited to see the Panthers tonight after the 5-1 loss to NJ, only to see them get shutout by Ottawa. And there might be a seasons ticket holder that is going to do it all again the next game.

Well toronto didnt win a cup since 67 and theyve been out of the playoffs for 7 years in a row and yet they were sold out every night. At the end of the day if youre not in a true hockey market youll rely on having a good team or youre fvcked

Well toronto didnt win a cup since 67 and theyve been out of the playoffs for 7 years in a row and yet they were sold out every night. At the end of the day if youre not in a true hockey market youll rely on having a good team or youre fvcked

There's really only a few teams that seem to have no trouble turning a profit whether they have a competitive team or not.

Those teams being:

Montreal

Toronto

New York

Chicago

Philly

Vancouver

Boston

Outside of those teams I can't think of any organizations that are surefire money makers despite the quality of the on-ice product and I'm not even sure Philly or Vancouver belong on this list either.

There's really only a few teams that seem to have no trouble turning a profit whether they have a competitive team or not.

Those teams being:

Montreal

Toronto

New York

Chicago

Philly

Vancouver

Boston

Outside of those teams I can't think of any organizations that are surefire money makers despite the quality of the on-ice product and I'm not even sure Philly or Vancouver belong on this list either.

I'd leave out Vancouver, Boston and Chicago. Add Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo and Minnesota.

Edited by devilsrule33

Those teams being:

Montreal

Toronto

New York

Chicago

Philly

Vancouver

Boston

Yeah but Chicago is an original 6 and had terrible attendance just before they got toews and kane and got drafted. To me an original 6 shouldnt suffer lack of attendance at all it's blasphemy. Bandwaggoners started to show up again when they started winning, they have soooooo many bandwagoners fans now just like Pittsburgh but as much as i dont like bandwagonners, every fanbase needs them cause they still bring in money but you know.

That's why i think expanding right now is stupid cause there's already wayyyyy too many teams struggling, not able to spend to the cap, relying on the top teams to cover and they keep plucking teams here and there in a not really healthy situation. Well... yet the NHL shows and brag about revenues record every year and raise and raise the cap. That's really not helping teams struggling

edit: talking to blackhawks fans they'll tell you people wouldnt support the team cause the owner was a sh!tshow and all but i think that's bullsh!t, most casual fans don't care who the owner is and all they just want to watch their team play and it's about the players

Edited by SterioDesign