2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

I'll bet some team would've given him an even more lucrative deal on the open market. Teams always overpay in free agency and there are a lot of dumb GM's.

Oh, I don't doubt it. Just saying there's other guys who you can get to play on your 2nd pairing for less than $6M per. Depending on who gets signed by their teams before July 1st, I'd sit and wait to see if you can grab someone like Sekera or Martin for less money and maybe less term.

I think Marchand deserves a suspension because that was a dirty play

Slew footing has to be dealt with sternly. There's no place in the game for that kind of dirty play. 

To this day, it still doesn't sit right with me that the IIHF didn't suspend Dan Boyle for his slew foot on Alex Semin in the 2010 Olympics, with Canada blowing out Russia. It was a disgusting play and for me it showed Boyle's true colors. That might sound extreme for one play but it takes a certain type of person to try and hurt someone like that. 

If Alex Semin had slew footed Dan Boyle there would have been outrage. 

Of course Milbury made it even worse with one of the most overt displays of anti-Russian/European hockey player bias in the game recap (the 'Eurotrash' moment). He defended what Boyle did and disparaged Semin for an earlier hit, that would probably be clean by NHL standards.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mike-Milbury-not-a-fan-of-Russia-s-Eurotrash-ga?urn=nhl,224012

Edited by Neb00rs

Slew footing has to be dealt with sternly. There's no place in the game for that kind of dirty play. 

To this day, it still doesn't sit right with me that the IIHF didn't suspend Dan Boyle for his slew foot on Alex Semin in the 2010 Olympics, with Canada blowing out Russia. It was a disgusting play and for me it showed Boyle's true colors. That might sound extreme for one play but it takes a certain type of person to try and hurt someone like that. 

If Alex Semin had slew footed Dan Boyle there would have been outrage. 

Of course Milbury made it even worse with one of the most overt displays of anti-Russian/European hockey player bias in the game recap (the 'Eurotrash' moment). He defended what Boyle did and disparaged Semin for an earlier hit, that would probably be clean by NHL standards.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mike-Milbury-not-a-fan-of-Russia-s-Eurotrash-ga?urn=nhl,224012

Milbury is an idiot of epic proportions. 

And he scores in a game he shouldn't even be taking part in....The league is absolutely ridiculous

If the league won't do anything about Kreider, than I guess someone on some team is just gonna have to earhole the little sh!t stain. Because if he keeps playing the way he does, that's exactly what's gonna happen. Edited by MadDog2020

Hutchinson seems to be doing pretty good as well. Right no they are in the playoffs, hope they keep it up.

Perreault, Ladd and Little are all having huge years for them. Wheeler is also having another good season, but the 3 I mentioned previously are all putting up numbers above their career averages.

Anything is better than throwing Pavelec out there, despite the decidedly not awful year he's surprisingly having.

It is a hard (but good) position for the Jets to be in: On one hand their starter is playing well, but on the other, their backup has the 2nd highest GAA and save pct. in the league and is 13-4-2 (as compared with Pavelec's 11-10-6). Pavelec was dominant last night, but Hutchinson has got to be making it difficult for the Jets' coaching staff to continue starting Pavelec more than him.

Haven't seen the hit but Kreider has come so close to suspensions before, have to believe he actually gets one this time, and once he becomes a repeat offender he will be piling them up.  He plays dirty, is big, and has a peabrain - it's a bad mix.

I don't see him as dirty. I see a player who doesn't realize his own strength. He's clumsy. Given his size and speed, he's going to hurt people because he plays on the edge. Unfortunately, Kreider isn't consistent. There are too many games where he disappears. He was terrible the first two months. I haven't seen the hit in question. Haven't caught the last 2 games. I'll review it later. 

That's way too much. If I was the Rangers, I'd be wishing there was a way to have kept Stralman over Staal. Staal has little offense in his game and it's not like he's killing it in the possession dept. Last year he had great numbers, but he played with Stralman a lot and it seems like Stralman really drove that pairings possession numbers. If he got something more like 6/27 or even as much as 6/30, it's more livable, but a little over $34M is a lot. I'd be especially concerned given the concussion he had and the eye injury.

It's in line with what Girardi got. I agree about Stralman. He was their second best defenseman. Defensively, they miss him. Puck possession wise as well because he could really skate and made smart outlets. Klein has helped offset the loss. Staal had to be re-signed due to no real replacement. You don't break up the top 4. The Rangers are built from the goal out. I devoted a post to why it's a no-brainer. Not gonna bother linking it up. He's a core guy. So, they'll live with the contract. The back end will probably be bad. But the full NTC ends after the first three years.

Winnipeg is really good this year

They are. Maurice deserves a lot of credit. He has gone with Hutchinson mostly over Pavelec. The team hasn't missed a beat without Trouba. Kane is playing well. Ladd is one of the most underrated captains. Wheeler and Little are good players. They've gotten a good year out of Byfuglien. Winnipeg takes the body. They beat the Hawks again. Given how weak the West is, they look like a lock. 

It was definitely borderline, but this hit when combined with the other incidents like the Brodin hit from behind I think shows a consistent recklessness that deserves a suspension.

soderberg got his feet underneath himself and lost his base,going for the puck. not sure if it was bad timing or cheap. they were quitr aways from the boards when the shove started