2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Seguin and Benn need to grow the fvck up: http://m.thn.com/blog/henrik-sedins-answer-to-jamie-benn-tyler-seguins-inane-comments-another-reason-the-sedins-are-hockey-gems/

That's disgraceful. EDIT: Apparently it was said in jest... I hope it was.

Man, i really like Benn and Seguin so i hope this was taken out of context. In other news, the leafs have tied the game and Morgan Reilly is a beast

can you believe there are actual Devil "fans" saying we should trade for Clarkson?

To be fair he would be fourth on our team in goals right now. And one behind 2nd place. He's got two more goals than Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac and four more goals than Ryder.  :whistling:

Bad enough to lose to us :P

:( Yup.

fvck the Leafs, fvck Reimer, God damnit hiw bad could you be. Dont even get me started on these a$$hole announcers i wanna rip my ears off

You could argue that he was blameless on 4 of our 5 goals. That's how bad the Leafs are defensively. Even on Moore's SHG, they turned it over. They don't know how to play D. And the Rangers played awful. They tried to give it away. That was just a terrible game.

The comments were stupid but that HOW DARE THEY article is worse.

There are certain kinds of jokes you just can't make anymore...because completely self-righteous lil' wannabe nudges like Adam Proteau will jump all over them and make them sound 1000x times worse than they were ever intended to be.  It's amazing how many writers make themselves out to be so damned perfect these days. 

Do I necessarily believe that Benn and Seguin are complete homophobes?  No.  But that's how they will be portrayed by writers who will take this and run with it. 

That being said, Benn and Seguin are real doofuses...mostly because they have to be somewhat aware of how the world works today.  Wanna crack jokes like this while you're having a few beers with some poker buddies in your house, fine.  Do it on the radio where the audience tolerance for that kind of a zinger will clearly vary, you're only asking for trouble.  There's a lot of people who aren't capable of seeing that what happened is really nothing more than a couple of not-too-bright clowns making a bad joke in the wrong forum, and will take what they said far too literally.  This is where Been and Seguin will pay more than they really should...it's not like they're calling for the tarring and feathering and beatings of homosexuals, but like I said, now they will be branded as hateful homophobes, which probably isn't accurate. 

But again, it's pretty simple...don't make jokes like this for wide audiences to hear and for writers to distort (as they look to find an angle that gets them attention) and you'll have a lot less to worry about.  If I'm an athlete, I'd be as boring and milquetoast as possible.  Worked phenomenally well for Derek Jeter.     

There are certain kinds of jokes you just can't make anymore...because completely self-righteous lil' wannabe nudges like Adam Proteau will jump all over them and make them sound 1000x times worse than they were ever intended to be.  It's amazing how many writers make themselves out to be so damned perfect these days. 

Do I necessarily believe that Benn and Seguin are complete homophobes?  No.  But that's how they will be portrayed by writers who will take this and run with it. 

That being said, Benn and Seguin are real doofuses...mostly because they have to be somewhat aware of how the world works today.  Wanna crack jokes like this while you're having a few beers with some poker buddies in your house, fine.  Do it on the radio where the audience tolerance for that kind of a zinger will clearly vary, you're only asking for trouble.  There's a lot of people who aren't capable of seeing that what happened is really nothing more than a couple of not-too-bright clowns making a bad joke in the wrong forum, and will take what they said far too literally.  This is where Been and Seguin will pay more than they really should...it's not like they're calling for the tarring and feathering and beatings of homosexuals, but like I said, now they will be branded as hateful homophobes, which probably isn't accurate. 

But again, it's pretty simple...don't make jokes like this for wide audiences to hear and for writers to distort (as they look to find an angle that gets them attention) and you'll have a lot less to worry about.  If I'm an athlete, I'd be as boring and milquetoast as possible.  Worked phenomenally well for Derek Jeter.     

I agree. It's a joke that no one would think twice about if made when hanging with the guys, but not in public. When you're in a position where there's people looking for every mistake to crucify you over, don't give them any easy ones like this.

I didn't want to come off like im defending Benn or Seguin. They are morons for thinking that kind of talk is acceptable in a public forum. I just thought the tone of the article came off like it was written by the Sedins Fanclub.

Completely agree; as if they are God's sweet gift to us all. Keep in mind that the article notes that Seguin was previously in trouble for a 'homophobic tweet' but fails to point out that all he did in that instance was write 'no h0m0.'

As for Seguin and Benn, they are jackasses, and the kind of classless trash that leads me to give kudos to Boston for putting principle above skill and getting rid of Seguin.

Edited by Neb00rs

I didn't want to come off like im defending Benn or Seguin. They are morons for thinking that kind of talk is acceptable in a public forum. I just thought the tone of the article came off like it was written by the Sedins Fanclub.

I didn't take anything you said as defending those guys.  And I agree about the tone of the article.  This is why I find a lot of the media annoying...they play the "No, I'm the one who the most offended/sensitive" card, and try to sound more profound and insightful than their colleagues...it's very disingenuous. 

As far as Benn and Seguin go, they made a mistake.  I don't think it's that big of a deal...like others have noted, they clearly didn't take the forum they were in into account.  I'm not going to take the Adam Proteau "Please pay attention to me" route and make it out to be any more than that.

As far as Benn and Seguin go, they made a mistake.  I don't think it's that big of a deal...like others have noted, they clearly didn't take the forum they were in into account.  I'm not going to take the Adam Proteau "Please pay attention to me" route and make it out to be any more than that.

If anything, I thought it made Benn and Seguin come off as envious of the Sedin brothers.

Completely agree; as if they are God's sweet gift to us all. Keep in mind that the article notes that Seguin was previously in trouble for a 'homophobic tweet' but fails to point out that all he did in that instance was write 'no h0m0.'

It was actually, "Only steers and queers in Texas and I'm not a cow." lol... Definitely bad taste in this day in age, and it happened the night after the trade was announced. You could consider it a strike 1 and this a strike 2, he should just chill out on the airwaves/media and keep a low profile.

It was actually, "Only steers and queers in Texas and I'm not a cow." lol... Definitely bad taste in this day in age, and it happened the night after the trade was announced. You could consider it a strike 1 and this a strike 2, he should just chill out on the airwaves/media and keep a low profile.

No. Read the article again. The original 'homophobic' tweet he got in trouble for was just for him saying 'no ++++.' Which this article does not mention.

And it is unlikely that that second tweet was him.

Edited by Neb00rs