2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Kreider is 6'3" 226 lbs according to hockey-reference so good luck on finding someone to 'police' him. He's not like Cooke or Rinaldo but one of these days he will hit someone from behind and injure them seriously and the book will be thrown at him.

Didnt Chris Kelly fight him a month or so back? Gave him a nice beating if i remember correctly. Size doesnt mean youre a good fighter

Sure it does - the biggest guy, who's going to get after him? Who beat up Zdeno Chara after his hit on Pacioretty?

Cmon Tri. You're telling me guys are so scared of Chris effin' Kreider? I don't think it has anything to do with Kreider's size at all. It speaks to a different mentality in today's game compared to the way it was 15-20 years ago. Do you honestly think if say, Cam Neely, ran over Brodeur with the same consequences in the same fashion in which Kreider ran over Price last year, that Stevens and/or Daneyko wouldn't have rearranged Neely's face? Neely would still be eating his meals through a straw to this day.

Cmon Tri. You're telling me guys are so scared of Chris effin' Kreider? I don't think it has anything to do with Kreider's size at all. It speaks to a different mentality in today's game compared to the way it was 15-20 years ago. Do you honestly think if say, Cam Neely, ran over Brodeur with the same consequences in the same fashion in which Kreider ran over Price last year, that Stevens and/or Daneyko wouldn't have rearranged Neely's face? Neely would still be eating his meals through a straw to this day.

If someone goes after Kreider, I can imagine him turtling while the guy going after him gets a 1-2 game suspension while at worst Kreider gets an interference penalty.  He is a little worm so I do not expect him to even try to take the punches.

If someone goes after Kreider, I can imagine him turtling while the guy going after him gets a 1-2 game suspension while at worst Kreider gets an interference penalty. He is a little worm so I do not expect him to even try to take the punches.

Yeah I could see that too... Kreider is devoid of testicles, so that wouldn't surprise me at all. Doesn't mean he still doesn't need to be dealt with though.

Yeah I could see that too... Kreider is devoid of testicles, so that wouldn't surprise me at all. Doesn't mean he still doesn't need to be dealt with though.

Next goalie he injures or try to injure should met with an immediate suspension.  Keep it at 2-5 games for first offense.  Then after that start working in the 5-10 games and so on.  Eventually he will get the message though I wonder if cheap shot artists like him will ever learn since most do not.

He's a big guy who is really strong.  A guy of average NHL size fighting him is probably going to lose.  Stil, the idea that fighting someone prevents plays like Kreider on Price - which I don't think was deliberate, even though I think Kreider's a dirty player - just isn't borne out by evidence.  

Ottawa has made themselves relevant in the playoff chase solely because of Hammond.  It's crazy what they've done the last month, but no way were they going to be this close without him.  I'm sorry by Anderson/Lehner just aren't accomplishing what he has.

Disagree. Hammond has been really really good, but it takes more than great goaltending as the Devils have seen for most of the season. Also, Anderson has been pretty amazing all year when the team was sucking.

The Sens are a great case study in two coaches and almost two different kinds of rosters. I was pretty much praying that Chere's "Paul Maclean is the next Devils coach" column was complete bullsh!t for pretty much the reason that we are seeing in Ottawa right now. I'm not sure how interested anyone is in the Senators, but here are two lineups: One from Maclean in November, one from Cameron this past week.

Sens lineup in late November

MacArthur-Turris-Chiasson

Greening-Legwand-Ryan

Michalek-Smith-Neil

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone

Phillips-Karlsson

Cowen-Ceci

Borowiecki-Gryba

Scratched: Condra, Weirchoch, Lazar, Methot (injured)

I can't stress how atrocious this roster is. From putting Chiasson on your top line, to infecting a great player like Ryan with a non NHLer in Greening and a 4th liner in Legwand, to overplaying Smith and Neil, while letting 3 incredibly talented offensive players rot away on your 4th line (rotating them in and out of the lineup), while scratching a really solid forward in Eric Condra.

Then there is playing a defenseman as bad as Bryce Salvador on your top pairing. Absolutely indefensible. Finally, dressing a total stiff in Cowen while Weirchoch is a healthy scratch.

Current Sens Lineup as of this week

Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan

Michalek-Turris-Stone

Condra-Pageau-Lazar

Puempel-Legwand-Chiasson

Methot-Karlsson

Weirchoch-Ceci

Cowen-Borowiecki

Scratched: Gryba, Greening McArthur (injured) Neil (injured) Smith (injured) Phillips (old)

Methot coming back really helps solidify a young and shaky defensive group, but Phillips went from playing some of the most minutes of his carrer to a healthy scratch right off the bat. The forward group is unrecognizable. Neil and Smith hurt help, but even before injuries their roles were diminishing. Hoffman and Zibanejad jump from the 4th to the 1st line. Stone to the second, and Condra and Lazar are regularly in the lineup with Pageau called up from the AHL. 

This year's Sens are one of the best examples I can think of where coaches can be a team's worst nightmare. The sad part is the team Maclean put out was the team he was happy to go out with.

Edited by devilsrule33

Hammond has played great and his stats are very impressive and unprecedented. However, he is the beneficiary of an Ottawa team that is HOT. Anderson beared the brunt of Ottawa's bad play, and came out with one of the best save percentages in the league. 

Also, this could be the first time in modern NHL history that no player scores at least 85 points (in a full season). Actually, 80 is even a question mark.

Tavares has 78, so 80 is not going to be a problem.  There was a thread about this on another board.  I think it is simply teams are playing the match-up game more on the superstar players.  They are still scoring, but not as much.  Whether it is because today's superstar (Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Glass) is not as skilled as earlier years or the players against them are much better is up for debate.  Personally, I think the 3rd/4th line players, the defensemen are MUCH better players than in the mid-90s.  Secondly, I think the first line players are also much better defensively than the first line players of 10-20-30 years ago.  

Scoring is also more balanced on teams.  Looked up average goals per game, the last 5 years:

This year through Sunday's games:  5.48 goals per game

2013-14:  5.34--only 1 player over 90 points (Crosby with 104).

2012-13:  5.31-- 8 players on pace for over 90 points, 1 on pace for 100 over 82 games.

2011-12:  5.32-- 9 players over 80 points, 3 over 90

2010-11:  5.46--  9 players over 80, 5 over 90

Chris Kreider needs to get called on some penalties more and then we can talk about him getting suspended.

His skill in not getting penalties called on him is uncanny. 2-3 hits/plays he makes per game are borderline dangerous, but not "obviously dirty". He's hurting players though and putting them at risk of injury. I don't know how the officials haven't taken notice yet, the way they did with Cooke a few years ago or Rinaldo. I'm sorry but he's out of the "let's give him the benefit of the doubt" phase. It's not a coincidence the kind of situations he's always involved in. He is simply a dirty player.

He's not even close to Cooke or Rinaldo.  To say so is ludicrous.  Kreider pushes the envelope, but he can actually play too.  To me, it is nothing more than a guy sliding overly hard into 2nd to break up the double play, giving a guy a shot in the bottom of the pile in football, or pitching high and inside to get a batter to back off the plate.  Grubandson was chirping at him on Sunday, but the guy didn't even miss a shift.  The play on Carey Price, he simply went hard to the net.

Kreider is 6'3" 226 lbs according to hockey-reference so good luck on finding someone to 'police' him.  He's not like Cooke or Rinaldo but one of these days he will hit someone from behind and injure them seriously and the book will be thrown at him.

I have met him, my brother met him in Turks and Cacos last year during the Olympics.  Let's just say, the man knows his way around a weight room.  226?  Wouldn't be surprised if he is more than that.  Closer to 235-240 would be my guess.  And, yes he is strong as an ox.  When they played Chicago last week, showed a highlight of Duncan Keith trying to get him off the puck, Kreider just shouldered him and knocked him down.

He's not even close to Cooke or Rinaldo.  To say so is ludicrous.  Kreider pushes the envelope, but he can actually play too.  To me, it is nothing more than a guy sliding overly hard into 2nd to break up the double play, giving a guy a shot in the bottom of the pile in football, or pitching high and inside to get a batter to back off the plate.  Grubandson was chirping at him on Sunday, but the guy didn't even miss a shift.  The play on Carey Price, he simply went hard to the net.

This is such Rags fan speak BS and you know it.  All of those plays you comparing it to are either soft, terrible comparisons.  The whole "he doesn't know his own power" and "he pushes the envelope" excuse went out the window after the 4th goalie he crashed into either injuring or nearly injuring them.  He doesn't even attempt to stop when he is barreling down on the goalie and that shows he has a blatant disregard for the goalies safety.

He is a cheap shot artist and a scumbag and if his name was indeed either Cooke or Rinaldo and they did the same play they would have gotten suspended already.

I suspect there is a little bias in Matteau #32's analysis of Kreider. Not only does Kreider run goalies but he's also been known to throw some major boarding hits. However, I can see Matteau's reason for sticking up for him. He's like us with Claude Lemieux in that he's an a$$hole, but at least he's our a$$hole.

I suspect there is a little bias in Matteau #32's analysis of Kreider. Not only does Kreider run goalies but he's also been known to throw some major boarding hits. However, I can see Matteau's reason for sticking up for him. He's like us with Claude Lemieux in that he's an a$$hole, but at least he's our a$$hole.

Yeah he's the player you hate when he's on any other team but yours. But I'm honest when I say Pep was known for the semi-occasional cheap shot, and was appropriately hated for it by players/fans of other teams. Rag fans seem satisfied to say that Kreider 'pushes the envelope' or he 'plays on the edge'. Which-let's be honest- to Rag fans, are rationalizations for Kreider's dirty play to themselves. They'd hate this motherfvcker if he played for us or the Isles or pretty much anyone else.

Yeah he's the player you hate when he's on any other team but yours. But I'm honest when I say Pep was known for the semi-occasional cheap shot, and was appropriately hated for it by players/fans of other teams. Rag fans seem satisfied to say that Kreider 'pushes the envelope' or he 'plays on the edge'. Which-let's be honest- to Rag fans, are rationalizations for Kreider's dirty play to themselves. They'd hate this motherfvcker if he played for us or the Isles or pretty much anyone else.

Very true.  I will freely admit that Lemieux was a cheap-shot artist, but like you and Carp said we liked him because he played for us.

With Rags fans, Kreider can do no wrong in their warped "New Yawk rulez!" world.

Very true. I will freely admit that Lemieux was a cheap-shot artist, but like you and Carp said we liked him because he played for us.

With Rags fans, Kreider can do no wrong in their warped "New Yawk rulez!" world.

We'll see how Rag fans like Kreider after he runs another goalie, and someone on the other team says 'enough is enough' and sends Lundqvist through the boards. If that ever happens, they may sing a different tune about how Kreider 'pushes the envelope'.

Tavares has 78, so 80 is not going to be a problem.  There was a thread about this on another board.  I think it is simply teams are playing the match-up game more on the superstar players.  They are still scoring, but not as much.  Whether it is because today's superstar (Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Glass) is not as skilled as earlier years or the players against them are much better is up for debate.  Personally, I think the 3rd/4th line players, the defensemen are MUCH better players than in the mid-90s.  Secondly, I think the first line players are also much better defensively than the first line players of 10-20-30 years ago.  

Scoring is also more balanced on teams.  Looked up average goals per game, the last 5 years:

This year through Sunday's games:  5.48 goals per game

2013-14:  5.34--only 1 player over 90 points (Crosby with 104).

2012-13:  5.31-- 8 players on pace for over 90 points, 1 on pace for 100 over 82 games.

2011-12:  5.32-- 9 players over 80 points, 3 over 90

2010-11:  5.46--  9 players over 80, 5 over 90

Power play opportunities are at an all-time low. Goaltending continues to improve, and another key thing is star players aren't playing a lot anymore. Back in the day the top guys probably played 26-27 minutes easily and most of the entire PP. Now a select few see 20-21 minutes a night, and 2-3 guys play the entire PP.

It's a product of the game being played much faster every single second, and the need for it to be a 3-4 line league. You can't really coast around for 2 minute shifts or even 1 minute shifts anymore. 

The main thing is just the defensive systems and goaltending. It's not even fair to compare any offensive numbers pre 96 or 97. I always go back to the famous Claude Lemieux goal against Hextall in the playoffs in 95. You can't score a goal like that today. It's pretty much impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TEcfluM9c#t=0m30s

Edited by devilsrule33

Power play opportunities are at an all-time low. Goaltending continues to improve, and another key thing is star players aren't playing a lot anymore. Back in the day the top guys probably played 26-27 minutes easily and most of the entire PP. Now a select few see 20-21 minutes a night, and 2-3 guys play the entire PP.

It's a product of the game being played much faster every single second, and the need for it to be a 3-4 line league. You can't really coast around for 2 minute shifts or even 1 minute shifts anymore. 

The main thing is just the defensive systems and goaltending. It's not even fair to compare any offensive numbers pre 96 or 97. I always go back to the famous Claude Lemieux goal against Hextall in the playoffs in 95. You can't score a goal like that today. It's pretty much impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TEcfluM9c#t=0m30s

Re:  Matteau's goal-per-game totals the past few seasons...Edmonton used to average about that amount per game by themselves. 

All you have to do is watch 80s highlights to realize how mediocre goaltending really was back then (and how much bigger the nets looked).  What's funny is people thought Hextall got worse towards the end of his career, but he didn't.  The rest of the younger and better goalies coming into the league made him look worse (along with others who played in his era).  And yeah, better defensemen now too.  And no more great teams beating up on truly horrendous teams to the tune of 10-0, which would happen on occasion back then (and allowed for some serious stat-padding).    

We'll see how Rag fans like Kreider after he runs another goalie, and someone on the other team says 'enough is enough' and sends Lundqvist through the boards. If that ever happens, they may sing a different tune about how Kreider 'pushes the envelope'.

Have you noticed how well Talbot has played with Lundqvist out????????

Very true.  I will freely admit that Lemieux was a cheap-shot artist, but like you and Carp said we liked him because he played for us.

No, I see some Rangers fans complaining that he is acting like a punk.  How he mocked Gubardson or whatever his name is on Sunday night.  Funny thing is, one of those guys is the same guy who constantly complains that the game is not physical enough anymore.

Re:  Matteau's goal-per-game totals the past few seasons...Edmonton used to average about that amount per game by themselves. 

All you have to do is watch 80s highlights to realize how mediocre goaltending really was back then (and how much bigger the nets looked).  What's funny is people thought Hextall got worse towards the end of his career, but he didn't.  The rest of the younger and better goalies coming into the league made him look worse (along with others who played in his era).  And yeah, better defensemen now too.  And no more great teams beating up on truly horrendous teams to the tune of 10-0, which would happen on occasion back then (and allowed for some serious stat-padding).    

Remember, back then most goalies were stand-up.  And, those Edmonton teams were arguably the best of all-time.  At least offensively.  Never as good defensively as the Isles or late 70s Habs.

I also have looked up some power play numbers.  Will post later.  HUGE drop-off after 2006-07.  But on the otherhand, remember after the 2005 lockout how the refs were calling obstruction VERY tightly.  People complained that there were TOO MANY power plays and the constant penalties ruined the flow of the game.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.